Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/06/2007, 04:01 PM
Nano Reefer

Question for all you fungia experts.

I bought this fungia (Long-tentacle plate) about a week ago, and didn't realize the extent to which it expands and this is it now:

I am already looking to get someone to buy it locally because of its shear size. My question is, how do I know if its not doing well? It looks to be doing great... Would it be OK if I left it in this tank for some time? Thanks,

Ian
Old 12/06/2007, 04:15 PM
NaH2O

Looks like a good specimen to me. try feeding it some mysis or something. If it eats, then you're good. It's fully expanding that is definitely a plus.
It seems a bit large for the tank, but it is only my opinion. It does look like it is placed kind of close to the rock work, so just be sure that when it inflates it doesn't accidentally tear its tissue on the rocks. This could lead to brown jelly or other infections.
Old 12/06/2007, 04:16 PM
Nano Reefer

Oh it eats alright! LOL

I just spoke with the LFS I bought it from and looks like they're going to trade it back. Its a shame I don't have a bigger tank, cuz I really love the colors on this coral.

Hrmm, to upgrade just for this coral?? That would be craziness.. pure craziness...
Old 12/07/2007, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

Up to you man...

I have a neon green torch, that is large (4 heads)...but due to its reletivly high placement in my system, it works out pretty well.

ie: No chance of stinging stuff farther below it due to my flow setup.

If it were me in your shoes...I'd bring it back. Vivid has small green fungia for sale atm. I just bought one from them the size of a quarter...then you can grow your own..

btw..can anyone comment on the growth rate potential of fungia (in a stock 24dx nano) given excellent conditions?

-jasonic

Last edited by jasonic72; 12/07/2007 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12/07/2007, 05:40 PM
Frag-a-holic

Upgrade! just kidding.

As for the torch, they are very easy to frag by just breaking a branch off. If it were to grow too big you could just frag it and get rid of the other heads to another local. I am not a big fan of the torch because of how long the tenticles get. I much prefer the hammer or frogspawn over the torch for this reason only. They are beautiful corals, just need too much space. Fungias from my experience grow pretty slow. Good luck.

Save a reef, trade a frag!
Old 12/07/2007, 10:54 PM
Premium Member

I have a few Fungias. I'm mostly experienced in short tentacle plates. Their growth rates are on the slow side. Slower then any of my other LPS corals I have. But I think they'll do well in your tank. Moderate light, low to moderate flow, good water parameters, and add a little calcium, and your good to go.