Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers

Old 12/01/2007, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

Arrow Bleached out Frog Spawn?

How do you know when one of your corals becomes beached out? All six heads of my frogspawn have become very retracted and have lost some of their color. I have tested and all my params are fine. I do weekely waterchanges as well.
Old 12/01/2007, 09:16 PM
Premium Member

It's hard to tell if your frogpawn is bleached out. Unless you've had it for some time and noticed the color change. How long have you had it?
Old 12/02/2007, 02:12 AM
Registered Member

Here is a post I made and I think you can see my froggy was bleached when I first got him
Old 12/02/2007, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

i have had him for about 2 months now and it hasnt been untill that past week that he has been acting up. I just cant get him to fully open up
Old 12/02/2007, 06:11 PM
Premium Member

If all your other corals are doing fine. Maybe a relocation will help. A little change in lighting or current. Also I noticed you have mostly Softies. So my next question is, do you add calcium? If you don't already add calcium, start using it.
Old 12/02/2007, 09:01 PM
Registered Member

i do not add calcium but i just tested for it and it turned out to be 330 ppm is that level to low???
Old 12/02/2007, 09:09 PM
Registered Member

Ok so my next question is what type of calcium should i use? I see that there are like 15 kinds and i can even do kalkwasser. What would you reccomend?
Old 12/02/2007, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

a smaller tank would probably do well with a two part solution like kent or ESV b-ionic. with a smaller tank you would probably do well with this because of the smaller startup cost.
Old 12/02/2007, 09:52 PM
Premium Member

330ppm is a little low. Ideally you'll want to keep your calcium levels around 380ppm. Kalkwasser is great but like fierceseaman said, Kent or b-ionic is more economical. I have a 90g and I still use B-ionic's Calcium buffer system. I've never used kent's Calcium so I cannot comment on it.
Old 12/02/2007, 09:59 PM
Registered Member

i used kent's 2 part and it worked well but i have b-ionic on the way just to try it out and compare. 330ppm should not cause a bleaching situation from what i understand though. i was under the impression that a bleaching event is usually caused by heat or too much light/too intense light. anybody else can back this up?
Old 12/02/2007, 10:07 PM
Registered Member

So maybe i will move it lower inn the tank and start dosing with calcium.
Old 12/02/2007, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

how about your alk? you never said anything about that.
Old 12/02/2007, 10:23 PM
Premium Member

Bleaching is usually caused by too much light. Bleaching to me isn't really the main concern. It's all 6 heads retracting that bothers me. It still maybe caused by the light situation. Also they like moderate current. So if a powerhead is pointed directly at him, or theirs very low current, this maybe an issue. Calcium is a little low but probably not the cause. Changing his placement in the tank may be worth a shot.
Old 12/02/2007, 11:46 PM
Registered Member

I would say he is about half retracted. I will test the alkalinity and try moving him down a little lower. I dont have direct current on him, but he is still getting enough flow....i think. But i will try moving him and go down tommorrow and get some calcium.
Old 12/03/2007, 12:01 AM
Premium Member

Good Luck
Old 12/03/2007, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

My frogspawn looks a lot better today i moved it down in the tank and it is almost fully expanded. I feed him with DT's Live Marine Phytoplankton and he seemed to really perk up.
Old 12/03/2007, 09:50 PM
Moving Along

My opinion differs a little from the above posts. For a mid to small range tank, 50 and less, I think kalkwasser is by far more economical. Not only does it supplement calcium primarily but also helps keep the alk steady and great for those that have a pretty good pH dip durring lights out to help keep that steady as well. Having a smaller tank usually does not come with a heavy demand for calcium unless it's been up for a few years with a heavy stock of stonies. I need to buff my 30g maybe once a month, sometimes not even that. And when I do its usually because I slacked off with kalk for too long and then need to address both issues more significantly.

Even on my established predominantly sps 50g I didnt even need the two part until I got a clam.

Otherwise your stuck buying buffer, and calcium. Which, put those two costs vs. kalk, then see which is truly more economical.
Hope that helps.

-Justin
Old 12/04/2007, 12:38 AM
Registered Member

the only reason that i would suggest 2 part over kalk is the start up costs possibly associated with kalk. if you don't have the system in place it could be costly where both parts of the b-ionic 32 oz is $15 total.
Old 12/04/2007, 09:46 PM
Premium Member

Thats exactly what i was thinking fierceseaman. Over the long term ya kalk is more economical. I have a 90g mixed but mostly LPS with a few clams and a few Acros. My 16oz bottles (2 bottles) last me for about 8 months. I only need to add calcium about once a week in pretty small quantity. Maybe if my calcium demand was higher i'd do kalk. But for now B-ionic is doing a good job at a low cost.
Old 12/04/2007, 11:06 PM
Moving Along

High start up expense? Over the longterm? Wha-what?

You guys arent seeing the big picture, that really is blown up from a small one

First off, I spent 20 bucks shipped for a 4gallon bucket of kalk. Not to mention how many thirsty two ouncers can be made from that stock(Im not that good at math, but good enough to know I cant count that high ). Secondly, start up system cost=$0.00= A simple old gallon milk jug can be easily mod'd with a drip whether it be a real good one bought from a medical supply store, or make your own with airline tubing and a nozzle of some sort.

So I'll be supplementing my system at least into year two(and I have 2 reef tanks!) before I'll need to re-up again, all for 20 bucks! cant get cheaper than that! Truly is magic powder. Dont buy into the stigma that you need a reactor, sure there much more efficient and a good tool for a heavy stocked reef, but by no means necessary.

-Justin
Old 12/04/2007, 11:16 PM
Moving Along

Heres an older pic of a system I had running four/five years total, 2-3yrs with sps, before I added a clam and swaped for a RR tank. All frags started from 1-2" peices, grown on nothing but kalk from an old milk jug, and regular feedings, water changes were done every 1-2 months.

-Justin
Old 12/05/2007, 02:28 PM
Registered Member

Well if he doesn't have a sump running in his Biocube where is he going to mount that milkjug? I'm not going to argue about which one it better, they honestly do pretty much the same thing. If I had a sump or somewhere to hid a old milkjug, I'd use kalkwasser as well but I don't so I use 2 part. He has options, we'll let him decide.
Old 12/05/2007, 05:37 PM
Registered Member

I agree...with all of you. Kalk is great, but not for everybody. The mixing, the dripping, and the small amount of kalk used without raising the pH might make supplements easier. In a small tank, some would have trouble raising Ca to a decent level with kalk only. I use both.
Old 12/05/2007, 10:11 PM
Registered Member

I went and bought The Kent Marine Nano Reef Calcium parts A and B. I decided that Kalkwasser is just not as convienent and necessary for me. I will use it and write back on how i like it.
Old 12/05/2007, 11:48 PM
Moving Along

Very true guys, forgot about that obsticle. Aint gonna work with no place to put it

-Justin