Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/28/2007, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

your niece is a beautiful angel.
Old 02/28/2007, 07:37 PM

All 3 are quite nice!

So long, & thanks for all the fish!
Old 03/01/2007, 06:10 AM
Team RC Member

bureau13 - that's one sweet blue face!

Mike (Kahuna) - is yours that nice when out in the open?

I've often got "urges" for a blue face angel - but then get a bit concerned that the colours wouldn't be as brilliant as those that I have seen on the net......

Unfortunately for me, I do not have the luxury of "waiting for a nice one to come in at the LFS"...... for me, the LFS is like a 3hr drive (each way) - some 300 miles or so round trip. So, I have three options - I can order a fish, and I can have it couriered down - 4hr delivery (by train), OR I can order the fish then drive up and collect it, or I can wait for one to be there on the off chance when I make the trip up to collect corals for example....... which is both unlikely, and I wouldn't have facilities for q-tine etc set up, or maybe I would be collecting something else that I ordered for that particular trip........

So, the only realistic route is to order one, and providing he's healthy and eating then I am oblidged to take him....... this is easier with fish like a purple tang, or asfur, or emporer...... they are rpetty consistent, especially if you are rodering juviniles......

Hence, the crux of my question here - are blue face angels consistently nice, like bereau13's one pictured above? (obviosly a smaller one will take time to colour up).

Anyone got any links to good threads abotu blue face angels in general...... I could well opt for this species as my angel for my new 8x2x2 tank.

Cheers,

Matt

PS..... sorry for hijacking this post!!!

Matt
Old 03/01/2007, 10:03 AM
Premium Member

Its not clear from my photo, but he's actually not very big...at least not compared to their eventual adult size. I would say he's about five inches tops, nose to tail.

jds
Old 03/01/2007, 11:27 AM
Registered Member

Matt I have never seen a Blueface that was at least 90% full adult color that did not look great. Just feed a variety of mostly frozen food(not to much flake etc) and they should maintain thier color.
Old 03/01/2007, 11:42 AM
Team RC Member

Hey Ron - so am I reading you right? Your saying that if I order a small adult that he should have 90% of adult colours and will probably look great, and I should have nothing to worry about?

Compatability wise - I would be thinking they are probably somewhere between a navarchus and an emporer???

Thanks

Matt

Matt
Old 03/01/2007, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

Sight unseen(for small adult) I would say yes. Just remember the blue scales with gold rim won't be as pronounce because they are so small.
Old 03/01/2007, 07:46 PM
Happy Scrappy Hero Pup

Hey Matt, the blueface is an awesome fish, I think you know how much I loved that asfur I had but the blueface is the best fish ever. Under my MH's and actinics the colors on this fish just pop, and from my experience I totally agree with Nanighan, most blueface are a very spectacular fish if they are healthy. They can be fairly shy for a big angel (mine was), but they usually get quite bold one they settle in. Mine was eating well from day one and he is about 6 inches. I got him at this size so he could stand up to my flagfin which had been quite aggressive to other angels. I would say my fish is probably a bit more colorful than the average BF but at his size this should be expected. These are one of those angels (emps are another) that just keep looking better the older and larger they get.

jpslickorocks- your neice is a cutie.
Old 03/01/2007, 07:50 PM
Registered Member

Older Pic.

Newer Pic.(please excuse the microbubbles...didn't think to turn vortech off until i heard a vacuum and saw a 58g bubble bath, lol)

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
Old 03/01/2007, 11:30 PM
High Plains Drifter

Great thread!!!!

Keep'em coming!!!!!
Old 03/02/2007, 12:57 AM
Registered Member

Matt I feel your pain. I live in the middle of no were, and my closest fish store is 3 hours away. I order from Liveaquaria all the time, and when I want something special i can order it and the fish store is good to me and holds the fish till I can drive up and get it. As regaurds to the BF, ive only seen a few but they were all beautiful. Most were in the 4-8 inch range. Like said a good diet will do wounders for fish. I know your emperor will be the boss of your tank, but you should be fine. Your tank is gonna be sweet with all these angels!! I cant wait for a full tank shot, and a " look at my new blue face", . Good luck!!

Keep this thread goin!! It is GREAT!!

100 Gallon 100Lbs L/R, 100lbs L/S, Tek Limited Edition 6 Bulb!!
Old 03/02/2007, 02:57 AM
Registered Member

jimdogg187 I was looking through your gallery, and was woundering how your blue ring and blue face got along?? I was thinking about a majestic and blue ring because they both are smaller. I cant get enough of your blue face, it is beautiful!!!

100 Gallon 100Lbs L/R, 100lbs L/S, Tek Limited Edition 6 Bulb!!
Old 03/02/2007, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

That is a beautiful Potter's, I just bought a potters for my 58 yesterday, once again beautiful fish!

|58 Oceanic & 24g Aquapod w/25gal-ish Shared Sump/Fuge|
Old 03/03/2007, 03:36 AM
Team RC Member

I'll second that...... lovely little fish.

Has a flame last year myself....... what a terror! I had to get rid of him the end..... my friend thought a change of setting would calm him down, so he took him off me..... over the last year he's got worse!

By terror, I mean picking fights with other fish.... he murdered my clarkii..... started on my goby..... now he's at the same game in my friends tank, taking on a much bigger maroon clownfish!

I need to do a bit of research, I want to keep a few dwarfs in my new system, but I wanna avoid potential lunatics!
Old 03/03/2007, 02:14 PM
High Plains Drifter

Quote:
Originally posted by scoutmaniak
jimdogg187 I was looking through your gallery, and was woundering how your blue ring and blue face got along?? I was thinking about a majestic and blue ring because they both are smaller. I cant get enough of your blue face, it is beautiful!!!
There was aggression between the two. I kept them together for a while, but the aggression just mounted.

I think it could be done with these two fish in a 300+ gallon tank.

Thanks for the compliment!!!

Jim
Old 03/03/2007, 11:38 PM
Well... You know...

Thanks all about the compliments about my niece. I love that little girl so much. And my angels are by far my favorite fish in the tank.

Anyone have a Clarion???
so you can maintain a lifestyle
that insults his family's existence
Old 03/03/2007, 11:46 PM
Registered Member

Any pics of some Passer angels?
Old 03/03/2007, 11:49 PM
Registered Member

bureau13 thanks for posting the bigger picture of the Blueline. I You might not remember but, I am the one who wrote you a while back to ask what kind of fish he was. I can't believe you are thinking of getting rid of him - I would use that as an excuse to set up a FOWLR, lol.
Old 03/04/2007, 10:12 AM
Premium Member

Hi Laura, I remember! Unfortunately, I'm not thinking of getting rid of him...he died mysteriously, for no apparent reason. I later heard that there was some talk that the place where they usually get those fish may be starting to use cyanide, so that may have been a factor.

The Blue face is actually the zoanthid eater that I'm considering moving, but he seems to have stopped doing that, at least for now (and I do have a few left if he really wanted them).

I also agree with you on the FOWLR...at some point I want to do that, there are just too many interesting fish that I can't have right now, it drives me nuts!

jds

Quote:
Originally posted by LauraCline
bureau13 thanks for posting the bigger picture of the Blueline. I You might not remember but, I am the one who wrote you a while back to ask what kind of fish he was. I can't believe you are thinking of getting rid of him - I would use that as an excuse to set up a FOWLR, lol.
Old 03/04/2007, 10:29 AM
Registered Member

Wow nice Angels guys. I had to get rid of my Koren Angel... eating all my corals. Bummer
Old 03/04/2007, 01:02 PM
Happy Scrappy Hero Pup

bureau13- awesome looking blueline pics, sorry to hear he is gone. That sure was a beautiful fish, is that one of those Vietnamese variants? It seem to me a lot of the Chaetodontoplus angels have a pretty spotty success rate and I have often wondered if their point of origin (mostly phillipines and indonesia from what I understand) has a lot to do with that.

E-A-G-L-E-S- Nice pics of an awesome looking potters!
Old 03/04/2007, 01:34 PM
Happy Scrappy Hero Pup

Lets see if this works. Here's a pic of a tank with a pair of bandit's and a regal angel.

Old 03/04/2007, 01:53 PM
Premium Member

here is a pic of the watanabe I picked up this past week. It looks like a male that was changing...so I need to find a female fast!!!

I have a Potters too but its always in and out of the rocks too fast to get a picture
Old 03/04/2007, 02:31 PM
My reef is my fix :-D

Quote:
Originally posted by Kahuna Tuna
Lets see if this works. Here's a pic of a tank with a pair of bandit's and a regal angel.

Those are awesome! How long in captivity?

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 03/04/2007, 02:58 PM
Happy Scrappy Hero Pup

Quote:
Those are awesome! How long in captivity?
Those mated bandits might just be the coolest thing I have ever seen in a reef tank. I'm not sure about any of the info on this guys tank, I dont have the language pack (Japanese I think.) Here is a link to his site. http://aqulife.blog58.fc2.com/

It looks like this guy is keeping at least 6 angels and butterfly fish in this SPS reef, just awesome.