Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 12/23/2006, 11:17 AM
Premium Member

Now you need the generator and UPS more than ever.

Nice fish John.
Old 12/23/2006, 11:34 AM
angelfish nut!

Thanks Rik... I've got the generator, and am mulling ideas on a back up if the power drops while I'm away... I'm putting a powerhead in each tank that I'll probably put on a battery backup to provide circulation while I'm away if the power drops...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 12/23/2006, 01:12 PM
Premium Member

copps: That is what I have. One power head on each tank hooked up to a seperate UPS just in case I'm not there, or sleeping, to power up the generator. Make sure to test the UPS to see how many hours it will run the powerhead.
Old 12/23/2006, 04:17 PM
Registered Member

copps,

All I can say is I AM JEALOUS!!!! Those are some beauties and I am sure you will take good care of them. Don't be stingey(sp?) with the pictures either. Us angelfish enthusists love any picture of rare fish like that.

Dave
Old 12/23/2006, 05:34 PM

Sweet!
Old 12/23/2006, 05:53 PM
angelfish nut!

Thanks again guys... it's great to share these images and expriences...

Stefan, yeah that's all it takes to keep the system for at least 12 hours with no power... people would be amazed how quickly fish will die with no circulation in a tank simply due to lack of oxygen... Depending on the system, it could take only a few hours... Plan for the worst... these fish could live over 20 years if our own stupidity or improper planning doesn't kill them... I'm also putting those powerheads on a seperate circuit in case the circuit decides to go... For the time being I've hooked up the house answering machine to the same circuit... I call home every couple of hours when I'm away and if the answering machine picks up I know the circuit is on ...

Dave, I know exactly what you mean... I always think "Will this guy post more photos!" I'll get a bunch more... but for now here are some... The system has been running a few months but I'm still working on aquascaping, so some things are strewn about...

Who's says Fisher's aren't pretty?

More to come...

Copps

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 12/23/2006, 06:10 PM
Premium Member

John, how big are these fish? I anticipated them being bigger than I am envisioning looking at the pics. Is it an optical illusion?

go sabres
Old 12/23/2006, 06:16 PM
angelfish nut!

Both are about 2.5 inches... maybe a hair under that...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

Old 12/24/2006, 01:02 AM
Premium Member

Nice Collection John!

I know that feeling of Joy you were talking about...

I got this pair from Frank on Dec 10th. He said both were captive bred in the spring of 04'.
It's been two weeks and they are doing great!

Female

Male
Old 12/24/2006, 09:51 AM
Premium Member

Yeah, I guess they are smaller species anyway.

dude, i have been taunting you with my "go sabres" a few times now- arent you gonna bite?

What brand/size UPS are you guys using? What is the power draw you anticipate also. I was thinking of putting my tunzes and anything else I can onto one (I live in the mountains, and power outages are frequent, although usually brief).
Old 12/24/2006, 11:24 AM
angelfish nut!

Treg, I spoke with Frank about that pair! Excellent! Keep us updated...

Last night I stayed awake late and witnessed the male resplendens courting the female fisheri! What a site! I got a short video of the behavior... with the resplendens strutting his stuff... I'll try and get the video up, but I don't have a host for videos... I look into it...

Also, I've found the resplendens to be a little terror with certain fish. My yashia goby ended up in the overflow and I released it back into the tank. I found it high up again in a corner of the tank after being chased out of its burrow by the pair... I moved the yashia to the opposite 54 with the olin's and all should be well... I also added a tiny chevron (Ctenochaetus hawaiiensis) that the resplendens tagged pretty good for a bit, but despite ripped fins the little guy should be fine. Even when I initially introduced the pair together the male resplendens tagged the female a good bit before remembering they were mates... What a site to see the interaction... and this should be attempted by more experienced hobbyists as the behavior is fascinating... Aggression with the resplendens is not bad once things are settled in, but it appears I'll have no gobies in the tank... Of course, what this pair wants... this pair gets

Jeremy, not sure if you read in other threads, but hockey and fish were my life growing up, and I was a diehard Rangers fan after being born in Brooklyn, NY and growing up in North Jersey... I continue to hate the Devils with a passion... My high school was about 1/2 and 1/2 between Rangers and Devils fans... and the Rangers won the Cup of course in '94 in my Junior year in high school... Devils won it in '95 in my senior year which was painful... but anyway... I played Tier 1 growing up and went on to play Juniors until age 21... what's your connection to Buffalo? They're flying...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

Old 12/24/2006, 11:33 AM
Premium Member

Will Do.

I was at the Nationwide arena 2 nights ago. Watched the Bluejackets get a rare win.

Hey John, if you need a video hosted I can put one on my photobucket page for you.
Old 12/24/2006, 11:48 AM
Premium Member

John- its wierd how fish will get a certain "disliking for others". In my tank, my female maroon clown lives to torment my lineatus wrasse (but will allow my chebron to work on the rock right ext to her anemone), my scribbled angel is determined to make my chevron unhappy, and my yellow tang (although only about 3") thinks he is a great white. no one gets mercy from him (although I think I can hear my crosshatch trigger laughing).

Now, for the important stuff. I was born and raised in Buffalo, NY, and watched the sabres suck the high hard one for so long. I grew up thinking I was Gilbert Perrault or Tom Barasso. Now, my revenge is bittersweet- save I dont live in Buffalo anymore. I got tickets to see them play the thrashers here in atlanta in February. It cant be soon enough.
Old 12/24/2006, 11:58 AM
*MySpiderSenseIsTingling*

very nice indeed, and thanx for sharing john...
Old 12/24/2006, 02:07 PM
Pimping the Lady Boys

Treg,
Are you saying the white Centropyge is a male C.interruptus???

John,
From what I heard in HK, from the times C.resplendens was shipped wild caught, it is an agressive Centropyge.
Actually my friend said that it was terrorising even C. joculator which are pretty agressive themselves.
Old 12/24/2006, 03:56 PM
Premium Member

No, Multicolor.

They had already been paied up by frank.
Old 12/24/2006, 03:56 PM
Premium Member

Great pictures John...of course you are welcome to any pics I post any time.

Interesting reading on the agression of the male resplendent. I have very passive fish in my tank with the little hybrid pair. No plans on adding anything else. I am interested to see what kind of behavior these two have inherited .
Old 12/24/2006, 04:18 PM
Premium Member

John,
Glad to see the pics posted If I were you, I would invest in a vortech pump w/battery backup. I recently had to use mine as my local power company turned off power for 8hrs due to local construction. The vortech worked beautifully and seamlessly. Other than a slight drop in temp, all the inhabitants were fine. Btw, I love seeing the daddy Interruptus pics!!
Old 12/25/2006, 12:55 PM
Premium Member

Hey John,

Congrats on all your acquisitions. You must be a well trusted friend to Frank if he gave you all those angels. Here are a couple pictures of my Interruptus pair that I bought from Frank a year and a half ago. They've been thriving in my 300 gallon SPS dominated tank.

I've been waiting patiently to see if the Debelius angels will ever be available for us in the States. I know they'll cost a pretty penny, but I've been saving since the first day I heard he amazingly successfully bred his first brood.
Old 12/25/2006, 01:48 PM
Premium Member

Wayne,

What a beautiful pair of C. interruptus, so gorgeous. A debelius pair in the same tank would be awesome if you could get away with it, which I think you could in a 300g.
Old 12/26/2006, 02:41 PM
angelfish nut!

Treg, thanks for the offer, I'll upload some tonight and send you one this week to post here...

Jeremy, it's been three days since the chevron was added and already his fins are completely grown back after the initial assault by the resplendens... two nights ago I added my Solomon true perc pair I've had for years... I'm just about done stocking and wanted to do so before any fish got too settled and it's worked out, although the resplendens was bugging the male perc at introduction he has subsided. I've raised a pair of A. tricinctus from ORA for years now and will place those in the opposite 54, but I'll probably wait until I get the joculators in there and the Colin's and interuptus are moved... Oh... and being a Buffalo fan you guys are due and I'm happy for you I've played many games in western NY and spent my summers in high school over the border in Ontario playing... People don't realize how big New York is until they have to drive from NYC to Buffalo .

Vili, everything I've heard of resplendens says they're aggressive to, and I know the argi complex in general could be terrors... but it wasn't their size that brought them through evolution! He's calm now and there is no aggression with the established members thankfully...

Thanks Alicia... It will be interesting to see the hybrid's aggression as they grow older... again the aggression I've seen has only been with newly placed members, and it's subsided after a few hours... I wonder how much has to do with him being a male too...

Sang, thanks for chiming in... I'm going to stick with the Maxijets as they'll work well for my purposes in these small tanks. I'm going to test different UPS at work to see which ones will run the Maxijets for 8 or 12 hours... It will work out much cheaper than the Vortechs and serve the purpose... I have plenty of flow without the addition of the pwoerheads and they're only going to serve the purpose of being the backup... Congrats on keeping your pair! You almost made a huge mistake!

Wayne, you have an amazing fish collection in that system... what temp have you guys been running with the interuptus? The debelius are really something... what a fish! Frank hand force fed his wild female for months as when he originally got the pair they were in bad shape... it payed off and he only raised about a dozen or so of these beauties... he's held onto four and will keep them for good... We talked about this and one thing that may take him out of his break would be more eggs from these guys. He only sold a couple after keeping some and sending some to the original owners of the parents, but he sold them for $4500 a piece... The last wild ones for sale in the US I think went for $5500 years ago. They show up VERY scarcely in Japan, and Frank was lucky to receive this pair... What a sight though... Here's a shot of two of the babies he sold...

And here's a shot of a wild debelius... what a friggin' sweet fish!

If the debelius do come to fruition I'll be sure to let you know... God knows I've dropped some coin, but this would be way too much at this point in time in my life being married with a baby in our late 20s living in the "Silicon Valley of the East" with it's ridiculous cost of living...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

Old 12/26/2006, 02:42 PM
angelfish nut!

For those intersted in knowing the man behind RCT here's Frank and I in October in his living room in Honolulu (he's the tall German... I'm the short Italian)... notice the queen angel pillow ...

And last year on his deck overlooking Diamondhead in the background...

Frank also is an avid underwater photographer... one of those guys with a suitcase for his setup... and was a professional windsurfer for years and still does R & D for some companies... His place is filled with this stuff... Here's a pretty neat shot of him down at Diamondhead...

While he's taking a break from larval rearing he's not taking a break from research... he's continuing doing work that will benefit this hobby as we speak. Again, the future of RCT will bring alot to those of us who have read this far into the thread and hold interest in his work... Aside from all of what he's doing, he's a great guy to just kick back and have a beer with... He's dropped the price to $550 for the rest of the hybrids as he needs to have them gone by January... he's sold about 75% of them since last month... so this is a great opportunity to get a fish that will probably never be created again...

Merry Christmas!

Copps

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

Old 12/26/2006, 03:41 PM
Premium Member

I had the opportunity to go to a lecture at the Georgia Aquarium a few months back where Dr. Richard Pyle gave a talk on his collecting and finds and so forth. It was quite amazing to hear him tell stories about going to 300+ feet to collect fish in nothing but a t-shirt and his shorts (and his rebreather, of course). He estimated (conservatively) that there is likely about 6,000 undiscovered species of fish in the indo-pacific alone! Blows my mind. He talked about collecting the debelius angel, with Helmut Debelius, and some of his follies. Pretty amazing guy.
Old 12/26/2006, 04:34 PM
AEFW Assasinator

Awesome fish Copps!

While I spent several years planning out this 120g I always envisioned my pinnacle fish to get would be RCT angel fish.

Good luck with the new fish.
Old 12/26/2006, 05:28 PM
| ~ |

Ah, my favorite fish, Centropyge resplendens

Those fabulous fish couldn't have gone to a better guy, congrats John!

More Pics, and let's see that video!