Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/21/2007, 12:40 PM
Memium Prember

Question Need crocea placement advice

Hi all,

I have a 180g (72x24x24) with 3x250w phoenix 14K about 6" above the water surface. My tank has very strong water movement with 2 sequence darts on it which reduces my clam placement options somewhat.

I have had a crocea for about 8 months and it is doing well IMO. It has grown noticeably. I have had it on the sand bed the whole time, attached to a small flat rock just under the sand surface.

Although it seems to be doing fine as-is, I am considering moving it up into the rocks somewhere, so that it will get more intense lighting. I keep reading that they like being in the rock and need the most light of all giant clams, etc. so I thought I should try it and see what happens.

First Question
Just how much light can a crocea take without negative effects? I have a spot that I could put it that is directly under a halide, his mantle would be approx. 6" below the water surface. He would be getting some very intense light.

I have some other spots where he would be more off-center from the halide and so would have less intense lighting if that would be a better choice.

Second Question
Assuming I move him off the sand, is it necessary to acclimate it to the new light level? If so, suggestions? I'm thinking of making some sort of window screen shade mechanism if necessary.

Third Question
Although I like the look of the clam in the rockwork, I don't like the fact that he's already stuck to a small rock. I'd rather have him attach directly to the LR. I know this has the disadvantage of making him difficult to remove if I need to in the future. So in general, what is the best (for the clam) way to motivate a crocea to let go of it's rock?

TIA!!!
Randy
Old 01/21/2007, 02:05 PM
Certified FL Aquaculture

Hi Randy...just read the PM and hope I can help. Is the clam extending his mantle wide? That's often a good indicator that the clam is looking for more light as it is attempting to expose itself to the most light possible. Croceas are found in shallow waters and do need high light...they seem to do best under 6500K or 10K, but do well under 20ks as well, but should be moved higher in the tank. In the wild they grow in colonies and produce a substance that anchors them to rock. They will do the same in the aquarium making them very hard to move without damaging their byssal gland once they settle in. They like good water movement but not blasting on them.

Is your clam very colorful or does it have a lot of brown? Lots of brown generally indicates more lighting needed. I would leave it attached to the rock. This way you can move it up the rock work for better lighting. HTH, Marcye
Old 01/21/2007, 02:13 PM
Memium Prember

Well, I'm not that great of a judge of "too wide" vs. "just right" I'll have to post some photos...
Old 01/21/2007, 02:22 PM
Memium Prember

Here's the most recent photo I have. It does seem a little bit "stretched out" like it wants more light.

Old 01/21/2007, 09:24 PM
This is my Passion

I told you months ago to put that darn thing up there..but Nooooo....
I would do as you are thinking, and acclimate it ,but by moving on it's rock to several levels. I would'nt be afraid to eventually take it from it's rock for placement in it's final spot. I have done this many times, and have never had a problem. I don't know the best way to describe my method, but I've never lost more than a small piece of tissue, and they all recovered fine.
Old 01/21/2007, 09:56 PM
Memium Prember

Quote:
Originally posted by waterfaller1
I told you months ago to put that darn thing up there..but Nooooo....
I KNEW that was coming...

Maybe I'll put it in my magnetic frag tray and slowly work it up to the higher light around the level that I want it at. Can they handle being directly under a 250w 14K with their mantle 6" below the water surface? I have a nice spot there but maybe better for some sps than the crocea...
Old 01/22/2007, 02:24 AM
This is my Passion

Hah Randy..you knew I had to say it. I have had mine close to the surface, in fact..it is now in the new tank.