Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Buyer/Seller Feedback

Old 12/22/2006, 12:39 AM
experto de escollo

Disappointed on MJMod seller

Well, I purchased a used MJ Mod 900 from one of the reefers here. However, it will stop working once a while (like everyday). I did some research and found out that it's a common problem, and there's supposed to be a solution for it by putting a stopper. Anyways, just want people to be aware that not everyone knows how to do a MJ Mod right!!!! I ended up returning it to the seller because I have no time, no tool, no material, no skills to fix it. Since he gave me a refund, i am just not going to list his name here. But people, please don't sell your MJMod if you know that it doesn't work... please....
Old 12/22/2006, 06:43 AM
Registered Member

adding the stopper is very easy and could have been fixed in less than 5 min. so i wouldn't say it was a junk mj mod
Old 12/23/2006, 05:33 AM
experto de escollo

well, the point is that everything should work without me doing anything extra myself that's why i paid extra to buy a finished one instead of doing it myself. by the way, it was just a guess that the stopper is missing, i don't really know if that's the problem or not... again, i expected it to be a fully working unit or else i could've made one myself
Old 12/23/2006, 08:05 AM
Premium Member

5 min could be 5 hrs to someone else and where did he say it was Junk? He purchased a product and shouldn't have to "Mod" it to get it to work. At least the seller understood and took it back.
Old 12/23/2006, 04:54 PM
experto de escollo

Yes, and it could also mean 5 days to me
Old 01/03/2007, 07:04 AM
Registered Member

i wouldn't buy anything used "modded" without holding it in my hand first.
Old 01/03/2007, 11:10 AM
"Old Yeller"

As a commercial producer of "parts or mod kits" for public consumption, it is assumed by most purchasers (and fairly I might add) that the item is ready for use without further modifications or repair.

If it is a hobbyist selling "parts or mod kits" then there is a slightly different tilt on the subject. You are purchasing from what may be a totally unqualified person to make the mods.

Lesson? either purchase from a "Known" qualified individual or DIY?

Anyway sorry for you headache and be glad it was not a safety issue to your home of family
Old 01/09/2007, 01:57 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefXpert
Yes, and it could also mean 5 days to me
You should have researched the instability of the mod........let alone the fact that you are a reef expert....j/k. But seriously, im surethat you have your aquarium maintenanced by someone....so why do something like that?
Old 01/09/2007, 10:44 AM
Moved In

Luckily it worked out. I am with you, I need it all the way done. It is a good heads up tho.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 01/09/2007, 07:10 PM
Rubberman

I asked the manufacturer of the mod kit if they had a pre-built plug and play option. I'd pay at least twice, maybe three times as much for the finished product. They said they didn't have the ability, nor did they wish to assume the liability of selling it that way. Guess that's why Tunze still sells pumps.

SteveU
Old 01/16/2007, 09:02 PM
experto de escollo

To continue my story, I finally got the help from the God of MJMods (who started the long MJMod thread). I received the mod today and it's rock solid. I guess that it really takes a real engineer to build the mod right