Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself

Old 03/01/2006, 10:33 PM
Moved On

I cleared some room if you want to resend or contact me directly via email.

D.
Old 03/02/2006, 12:10 AM
Moved On

ok well i ordered 4 1.75 dumas props to try out. hopefully i can get two of them to spin on the seio, if not i will buy a maxi 1200 and play with it for a while. maybe i wont by that second closed loop quite yet

Tim
Old 03/02/2006, 12:17 AM
El Jefe de WRS

Does anyone know who makes that DC powered powerhead? Its a small one, like a micro-sized tunze, but it has a DC adapter on the plug. This pump could be set up w/ a speed control.
Old 03/02/2006, 12:27 AM
Moved On

well couldnt someone just by a DC motor and then encapsulate it in epoxy to make something liek a tunze

Tim
Old 03/02/2006, 01:24 AM
Moved On

Here are a couple DC powered pumps and can possibly be used.

http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=138

http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=172

Not exactly cheap though.

D.
Old 03/02/2006, 03:25 AM
El Jefe de WRS

Yeah, and not saltwater safe either.
Old 03/02/2006, 10:16 AM
Registered Member

In reading through this thread I happened on interesting comments by jdieck on page 23 - explains why Tunze are shaped they way they are . Since I own a couple I have the luxury of seeing how they're built & comparing. I've read here that the prop needs some room to function effectively - in a Tunze the prop is some 1" (or more) away from the edges of the housing. Is this part of they key to flow? Would the maxi make even more flow with a larger housing?

I've also read a bit about props & performance. As many know ideal is max rpm w/ largest pitch (take a big bite as fast as possible). The pitch of the Tunze props appear to be less than the Dumas (just a guess). I guess they've maximized the speed VS bite of the prop (better to take less bite & achieve optimal RPM)....can we, the DIY'er accomplish the same thing? What would happen if we were to take a less pitch prop w/ the same size & spin it faster? (seems like everyone is looking for more pitch)

So far it's been an interesting experiment, it is an amazing little mod that has suprised me so far - thanks folks, I like playing with this type of stuff!
Old 03/02/2006, 10:27 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by ErikS
In reading through this thread I happened on interesting comments by jdieck on page 23 - explains why Tunze are shaped they way they are . Since I own a couple I have the luxury of seeing how they're built & comparing. I've read here that the prop needs some room to function effectively - in a Tunze the prop is some 1" (or more) away from the edges of the housing. Is this part of they key to flow? Would the maxi make even more flow with a larger housing?
Yes. The challenge here lies in finding the proper material to make a larger housing and attaching it.

Quote:
I've also read a bit about props & performance. As many know ideal is max rpm w/ largest pitch (take a big bite as fast as possible). The pitch of the Tunze props appear to be less than the Dumas (just a guess). I guess they've maximized the speed VS bite of the prop (better to take less bite & achieve optimal RPM)....can we, the DIY'er accomplish the same thing? What would happen if we were to take a less pitch prop w/ the same size & spin it faster? (seems like everyone is looking for more pitch)

So far it's been an interesting experiment, it is an amazing little mod that has suprised me so far - thanks folks, I like playing with this type of stuff!

There is indeed a fine balance between propeller size and pitch for any given motor. too little pitch and your RPM will go way up causing excessive vibration, possibly to the point of damaging the motor as it was probably never designed to spin THAT fast. Too much pitch and RPM decreases as your motor runs out of horse power power.

It isn't all about picth it's also the size of the propelller and I've seen the Tunze's, their props are larger in diameter.

If you take a similar 1.25" propeller but with less pitch than a Dumas you will see that the flow is decreased. A simple comparison the 1,25" Nitro versus the 1.25" Dumas. Since the Nitro has slightly more aggressive pitch, it in turn produces more flow than the Dumas. While the 1.75" Dumas although has slightly less picth than the Nitro, it does have a larger diameter, hence produces better flow.

I guess that's why I'm still plugging at this trying to find a sweet spot.
Old 03/02/2006, 10:35 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
I guess that's why I'm still plugging at this trying to find a sweet spot
Yep, I think the odds of Tunze letting us borrow their equipment for test is pretty low

I should have mentioned that the ones I have are the DC versions - might have less "torque" hence the lower pitch & faster RPM. I can say that they have done a LOT to make sure vibration isn't an issue. The tolerences are extrodinarily tight (the impeller to housing distance is almost nil). Seems like they kept pushing the RPM until no amount of engineering would allow it to function w/o virbration (& they do vibrate when spooling up).

Yep, the props are bigger.....but not massively so. I guess I was just suprised when I took the housing off & saw how small they were in comparison to the housing size.

Lots of props & so little time Also, trying to carve that mounting plate back a few pages is no small task either - I don't have access to a CNC machine (without which as you mention limits the housing size).
Old 03/02/2006, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dhnguyen
Here are a couple DC powered pumps and can possibly be used.

http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=138

http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=172

Not exactly cheap though.

D.
Wait, are we talking about submerged application, or the above-tank mount? Those pumps are external only. That first one is actually made by Pan-World I believe, and it is just relabeled and sold to the PC cooling market. They have a DC line of pumps, which are quite pricey. Iwaki also makes comparable DC pumps, but they cost a LOT, and are mostly available to OEM applications, not really any retailers carry them. They give a good quantity discount if you buy them in the dozens, so it would be much better to buy from a retailer like the likes above.

That second one is actually made by Laing, (the same people who do the CSL/Posiedon 'titanium' series), and uses similar construction to the T1-4 line of pumps I believe.

http://www.lainginc.com/D_Series.htm

But contrary to the bigger ones, I have heard those little ones are quite noisy. (And I don't think they really use a shaft so to speak, so it would be very tough to redo the housing and get it stable w/o using a shaft. Look at the exploded view in the above link.

hahnmeister - what pump were you thinking of? A submersible DC pump? How could you use a DC adapter plug submerged? Can you describe it in more detail - never heard of a DC powerhead.
Old 03/02/2006, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
... I guess that's why I'm still plugging at this trying to find a sweet spot.

I have tried a lot of props. The one that seems to hit the sweetest spot in my testing, is this one.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJ761&P=7
Old 03/02/2006, 11:17 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Hmmm Krylon Fusion will take care of that white epoxy

Sweet looking housing crypto. I see that you're reusing practicallyu all the SEIO parts
Yeah, it's also the last Seio I ever buy. but i do like their mounting brackets.

Quote:
Originally posted by zapata41
crypto, by using the outer housing as you did i think i can eliminate most all of the inner housing to allow the use of a bigger prop.

Tim
I use a 1.75" dumas that is cut down (that was a bit difficult). I used a hole saw on the housing and gutted it. I also took out as many of those slots as possible. The dumas is easily more powerful than the dual nitros but as I stated before, it wont start underwater. it's fine after once you drop it in though. perhaps the dumas is too much (maybe ok on an 820).
Old 03/02/2006, 12:02 PM
Registered Member

As mentioned above, the Tunze has more space between the housing and the prop. Has anyone tried the 1.25� props with the larger housing? If so, is there any difference in flow or reliability?
Old 03/02/2006, 12:09 PM
Moved On

Yes I have tried the 1.25" props with the larger housing. The flow although was improved wasn't significant enough to justify the design. You would need to use a larger propeller as well IMO.

D.
Old 03/02/2006, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

I'm going to give this a shot. I picked up a propeller from a hobby shop (not very many props to choose from). It's a 42.5mm Graupner speed boat prop. with a pitch of 51 (whatever that means). # 2314.42,5. It has a M4 brass bushing that will need to be drilled out.

I was thinking about trying this on a MJ1200 with a 2" ABS pipe as a housing. Do you think the MJ1200 can handle this prop or do I need a smaller one? Second picture on this page. The prop on the left is the one I have. Graupner Boat Props
Old 03/02/2006, 01:51 PM
Moved On

42mm is approx. 1.70" I think you should be ok with a MJ1200. Nice 3 blade prop there. I'm most curious to see how much flow this can produce 3 blades versus the typical 2 bladed prop.

Keep us updated.

D.
Old 03/02/2006, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

I'm using the 2 blade prop. This is it, a speed boat prop, the one on the left:
Old 03/02/2006, 01:57 PM
Moved On

Ah.. I see. Should be fine nonetheless as long as drill out the brass inserts.

Now I'm still cruious about the 3 bladed prop though. Hmmm...

D.
Old 03/02/2006, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Aquaduck

It has a M4 brass bushing that will need to be drilled out.
I forgot who posted this suggestion, but you might have better luck heating up the brass piece and pulling it out when it begins to melt the plastic.
Old 03/02/2006, 01:59 PM
Moved On

I tried that approach once. It didn't work as easily as stated. You're better off drilling it slowly and carefully.

D.
Old 03/02/2006, 02:48 PM
Registered Member

Idea for mounting larger props -

DWV (drain, waste, vent) PVC fittings are bell shaped & you can get one in 3" -> 1.5". McMaster Carr part #2389K74.

Make the mount from 1.5" as usual,

Drill hole in a 3+" piece of acrylic & the OD of 1.5" sch 80 PVC is 1.9xxx" - a 2" holesaw should do just fine. A bit of #16 should hold it fine.

Fit to the back of the DWV fitting, flush trim for fit.

Would require a longer shaft to get the prop in the "big" part of the bell & most likely be a drilled vent setup.

This would allow us to turn a 2+" (if the maxi can do it) prop = more power.
Old 03/02/2006, 11:18 PM
Moved On

i am gonna use a reducing coupling forthe guard on the seio, something like a 2x1 1/2 or maybe a 3x1 1/2, will look very similar to the tunze shroud that they use

Tim
Old 03/02/2006, 11:19 PM
Registered Member

I was using this 44mm (1.73") prop x 1.0 pitch I found at the Hobbytown USA near my house (it was all they had without the brass nut). It seems like my MJ has a real hard time getting it to spin under water. I tried to run it without the housing to see if it was just being restricted by the intake vents to no avail. Is it possible to take a bit off of the prop with the dremel and still keep it balanced? I may just go ahead and order the Nitro prop online after all.

It would also seem to me that a steeper pitch would cause the flow to spread out more since there is more edge pushing outward. I don't know if that is true or not, maybe someone can enlighten me.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 03/03/2006, 12:30 AM
Moved On

You might try shorten whole rigid tube/propeller assembly as bit and see if it would help.

I have no problems turning a 1.75" Dumas prop with the MJ1200 even a MJ900. How old is that MJ1200? Possibly the motor has worn out a bit and doesn't have as much horse power? Not sure...

D.
Old 03/03/2006, 12:30 AM
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=790770