Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks

Old 06/13/2005, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

Question Clam Problem ??

I have had the Crocea clam about 3 weeks and it has attached. However lool at the pic and see how the mantle is not fully expanding. In fact the longer in the day it goes the less it expands.

what I am most concerned about is the white strings that are all over the mantle. I am new to clams and in my readings I can't seem to find an explaination for this.

Please can anyone help?

randy

Old 06/14/2005, 11:04 AM
Registered Member

What kind of light do you have? I've seen those strings on my crocea I don't think is anything to worry. Try moving it up close to the lights.
Old 06/14/2005, 04:12 PM
Registered Member

I got a PM from Barry at Clams direct last night. He had me do a freshwater dip for 30 minutes. The clam looks much better today. The strings are something form the mantle zoo something or other.

Apparently crocea's lately are getting some type of parasite that causes the mantle to recede. People have given it the name of "pinched mantle" Barry says that 90% of the time a freshwater dip will kill the parasite.
Old 06/14/2005, 05:23 PM
Registered Member

Randy,

Hope the FWD will help. Be sure to tell the LFS where you bought the clam to tell their supplier about the PM.
Old 06/14/2005, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

my crocea that i got a few weeks ago has the same thing. i did a 15 minute freshwater dip last week and it looks a lot better. i am going to do another FWD this week and hopefully it takes care of it. i hear that it is a widespread problem.
Old 06/16/2005, 01:03 AM
Premium Member

i have one, but I think mine has died... two days ago it was still closing and opening, but today I saw that it had receded alot, and i pick up the clam, and it did not closed at all, but i did noticed that a bristle worm was under it, did the worm kill it? also I just found out that my clam it was "gaping all this time" I did not know what gapping was.... anyone know why it died? is under 250W PC (10k & 03's) the LFS told me this was ok under PC lights
Old 06/16/2005, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

Bristleworms wont kill clams, they are scavengers, the clam was dying and gave off a stink which attracted the worm.
Old 06/18/2005, 05:39 AM
180 gallon money pit

the bristleworms will come out in force and eat anything they can from the clam carcass