Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/11/2007, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

eductor on loc-line?

Has anyone tried this.

I have a bunch of 1/4" stuff lying around and was going to make a closed loop manifold with 4 to 6 outlets.

Just curious if anyone has made one this small and if the size will affect the performance of the eductors?
Old 09/11/2007, 08:01 PM
Caulastrea sp

could you put the eductor on first than loc line on the other end? that is what i have been curious about

SPG: 1.026
PH: 8.35
'trates: undetectable
phosphate: 0
ALK: 11.6DKH
calcium: 435ish
12/21/07
Old 09/11/2007, 08:10 PM
Registered Member

The problem with having an eductor on one outlet and none on the other is that the eductor requires high pressure to operate properly. The higher pressure, the better performance from the eductor. When you have another path for the water to travel, you drop the pressure on the eductor and your performance goes out the window.

I've overcome this by putting a valve before the open end so I can close it off until i get the desired flow from the eductor. If i leave it completely open, i get 90% of the flow out of the open end and almost nothing out of the eductor.

Regarding using 1/4" lines for eductors - it will work, but not as well as if you had larger. Smaller diameter means more pressure drop before the eductor.