Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/06/2007, 09:52 PM
Wife and dog.

Temperature Control in your SPS Tanks

I was just wondering, and I know this will probably open a can of worms, but what do you keep your SPS tank's temperature at? Why- based off of natural reefs, growth in corals, etc?

Thanks, Chris

PS mine was about 77 to 79 according to my AC JR datalogs.

Always accepting frags!!
Old 11/06/2007, 09:58 PM
Moved Aside

mine goes from about 79 to 83 each day.
Old 11/06/2007, 10:03 PM
Wife and dog.

is 83 to high?

Always accepting frags!!
Old 11/06/2007, 10:06 PM
Premium Member

in some oppinions 83 is high and some it not ,mine used to go from 78- 83 but now i run a chiller and it stays 79 all day
Old 11/06/2007, 10:53 PM
Registered Member

78 to80.
Old 11/06/2007, 11:04 PM
Premium Member

81-83 goin on 5 yrs now
Old 11/06/2007, 11:28 PM
Registered Member

I keep my chiller set at 78 so it fluctuates throught out the day from 77 - 79... Corals seem to respond better than when i had it at 82 before the chiller... I also notice that a few of my zoo colonies that were always stressed and inverting are now open full all the time

Dream
Old 11/06/2007, 11:42 PM
Wife and dog.

Thank you everyone who is inputting their past and current experiences.

Always accepting frags!!
Old 11/07/2007, 07:22 AM
Moved Aside

i have read a ton of post and a lot of people argue that by keep a constant temp, say 78-79, you are setting yourself up for coral crash once the temp goes from within that range, say to 83-84, as the corals are trained to only "survive" within that 78-79 range. Most corals are a lot tougher than they apprear. When ever i get a new one, i just dip it in TMPCC for 15 minutes, take it out of the TMPPC and swish the coral around for a few seconds in a cup of my tank water, and then put it in my tank. Also, i think people shoot for those lower temps and algea doesnt like them very much.
Old 11/07/2007, 08:13 AM
Anti "So called Expert"

There have been studies on temp. adaptability of corals in home aquaria and researchers have found that keeping tanks at constant 1-2 degree temps. can have negative effects on their health if you experience temp. spikes at some time or another. This info is mainly based on the fact that in the wild, drastic reef temperature fluctuations are evident. the corals can experience anywhere from 4-10 degree temp. swings on a given day but the research data is flawed since they do not take into consideration all of the other variables that occur with water chemistry, flow, etc that also are constantly flucuating in the wild.
It would be almost impossible, with current technologies for home aquarist to duplicate these conditions so it is "safer" to just try and keep parameters as stable as possible.
I for one keep my tank set at 80-82. The higher temps. are known to promote faster calcification in stoney corals and it also keeps my chiller from running as much. I have yet to see any negative effects from keeping it in this range.
Old 11/07/2007, 11:52 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by triggerfish1976
There have been studies on temp. adaptability of corals in home aquaria and researchers have found that keeping tanks at constant 1-2 degree temps. can have negative effects on their health if you experience temp. spikes at some time or another. This info is mainly based on the fact that in the wild, drastic reef temperature fluctuations are evident. the corals can experience anywhere from 4-10 degree temp. swings on a given day but the research data is flawed since they do not take into consideration all of the other variables that occur with water chemistry, flow, etc that also are constantly flucuating in the wild.
It would be almost impossible, with current technologies for home aquarist to duplicate these conditions so it is "safer" to just try and keep parameters as stable as possible.
I for one keep my tank set at 80-82. The higher temps. are known to promote faster calcification in stoney corals and it also keeps my chiller from running as much. I have yet to see any negative effects from keeping it in this range.
Very nice summary. I set my controller at 80 after years of 77/ 78,corals are fine about a month ago with no negative effects to fish or corals.
Old 11/07/2007, 08:23 PM
Registered Member

I agree that I seem to get better growth at higher temps also. Summer I keep it 80-82 winter 78-81 I am going to add another heater this year so I can keep it 79-81 easier this year.

Roger

Don't keep track of how much money you spend on your system. You will enjoy it much more that way :-)
Old 11/07/2007, 10:24 PM
Wife and dog.

Why is it that the SPS will calcify quicker in warmer temps?

Always accepting frags!!
Old 11/08/2007, 07:13 AM
Registered Member

I don't know but fish have a higher metabolisim in warmer waters also (eat more grow faster)

Don't keep track of how much money you spend on your system. You will enjoy it much more that way :-)
Old 11/08/2007, 01:36 PM
Wife and dog.

Thanks Roger. Anyone else on the idea behind faster growth in SPS in a higher(79-81) temps?

Always accepting frags!!
Old 11/08/2007, 01:37 PM
Wife and dog.

Also, does everyone strive to have cooler temps in the fall and warmer in the summer? Would there be any problem with aiming for the same temperature range all year long?

Always accepting frags!!
Old 11/08/2007, 02:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrismhaase
Also, does everyone strive to have cooler temps in the fall and warmer in the summer? Would there be any problem with aiming for the same temperature range all year long?
I keep it steady at 78to 80 all year. I get what appears to me to be good growth but really wouldn't be able to comment on camparisons. I do know that when in the past my alk was lower than 3.5 or so I notice less. I'd also like to learn ,more about temps and growth as well as overall coral health.
Old 11/08/2007, 03:06 PM
Wife and dog.

Chemistry geniuses please chime in. Or maybe someone with a good article to reference that they have read that is applicable to this topic...?

Always accepting frags!!
Old 11/08/2007, 03:50 PM
Anti "So called Expert"

All of the scientific studies that I have read deal with the global warming issue and the ocean's reefs so I would only take some of the science and apply it to our aquariums.

http://www.co2science.org/scripts/CO...8/N40/EDIT.jsp

I think Rogergolf's post pretty much sums it up. Higher temp. means faster metabolism.