Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > West Tennessee Marine & Reef Aquarium Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/24/2007, 04:58 PM
Registered Member

Question Powder Blue and Ich

From what I've read, I guess it was just a matter of time...I think my Powder Blue has ich. He has small white "growths" on his fins (none seen elsewhere). He still looks happy and is eating well.

What can I do? I am nervous about taking him out of the display and putting him in my Eclipse 12(12-gal bow) QT tank for treatment. Will the QT process (change in habitat) stress him out too much?

I have been thinking about getting an UV sterilzer but have not bought one. If I do so would this treat ich if that is was is on his fins? If so, which UV for a 170-gal bowfront?

If I can get a good picture of what is on his fins, I'll post it.

Help,

Cass
Old 06/24/2007, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

The UV sterilization will help with ich that is "free" in the water, but from my knowledge, it will not solve the problem of the actual infection on the fish.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong
Old 06/24/2007, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

fresh water dip
Old 06/24/2007, 08:24 PM
WTMRAC Pres 07~08

The things I have read about tangs and ick are as long as it is eating and seems healthy leave it alone. FW dip or moving to a QT will only stress it more. Maybe get a cleaner shrimp or neon goby. Run a diatom filter or UV.

Click the Red House to see my tank pictures.
Old 06/24/2007, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

Hey! I do a lot of research on wetwebmedia.com. Here's a link that talks quite a bit about saltwater ich. Maybe it will help you: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/parasiti.htm
Old 06/24/2007, 11:24 PM
Premium Member

my powder borwn got ich bad a week or so after i put him in my tank. i used garlic and selcon. he ate fine and looks fine now. tangs will be tangs and get ich.
Old 06/25/2007, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

i just saw cass' powder blue and it didnt look like ich to me ...... there were no white spots on the body or fins ... it just looked like the outside edges of his fins were kinda scraped .... i dont know if maybe its something else
Old 06/25/2007, 09:09 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice!

Thanks for all of your helpful hints. I will be patient and watch "Bluey" for now. Does anyone have a UV Sterilizer to recommend? I think I still want to invest in one. What do you advise for a 170 gal set-up?

Cass
Old 06/26/2007, 09:26 AM
Who dat?

If it is on the fin perimeter ( the growths can be found elsewhere but fin edges are the most common place ) and they are nonuniform and nodular it sounds like lymphocystis. If it is, it's viral. The best fix is good diet and good water quality along with stability. It is contagious but ,as a rule, not lethal.

As to UV's I like the Aqua Ultra Violet units. The Current-USA units are fine and little more user friendly when dealing with one as a add on.

Last edited by just dave; 06/26/2007 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06/30/2007, 07:21 AM
Registered Member

Thanks Dave!

When I finish working like a mad woman, I will reward myself with a field trip to Kermits!