Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/25/2005, 01:53 PM
Premium Member

crazy lps on Anthony's website

OMG these are amazing.

aquadesignz

naka
Old 03/25/2005, 02:22 PM
Registered Member

very nice ... especially the ones that are too expensive for me
Old 03/25/2005, 03:55 PM
Registered Member

some nice things.
Old 03/25/2005, 06:27 PM
Is it Charles or Jen? =)

I have seen this one in person and the picture does not due it justice. It reminds me of alien eye but has feeding tentacles, I don't know exactly what it is but for sure is at the top of my list.
Old 03/25/2005, 09:50 PM
Got that Anger!

that 1300 one looks like mane's favites
Old 03/25/2005, 11:28 PM
Registered Member

the first one my LFS just got in, 4 heads for $300, they are soo beautiful!! they already sold off 4 of them, 2 expensive for my taste tho
Old 03/26/2005, 12:45 AM
Moved On

My vote is for that red one jendub posted, They polyps are micromussa sized, I've never seen another coral like it. I think it's some sort of undocumented species, like a micromussa echinata or something. When it feeds the eyelids roll back exposing the round alien eyeball. It's extraterrestrial for sure!
Old 03/26/2005, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bugsy714
My vote is for that red one jendub posted, They polyps are micromussa sized, I've never seen another coral like it. I think it's some sort of undocumented species, like a micromussa echinata or something. When it feeds the eyelids roll back exposing the round alien eyeball. It's extraterrestrial for sure!
You just made the price increase with your last comment! LOL
Old 03/26/2005, 08:10 AM
Premium Member

I find that rather disgusting.
The person attempting to sell these corals, obviously hasn't a clue as to what they are...

Quote:
Unknow specie of Echinophyllia/Acanthastrea
... They're not Echinophyllia. Not even close. I can't understand why anyone who has seen echino's would even attempt to call it that.

... unless of course they were just trying to capitalize on a Fad and gouge some unwitting consumer an ungodly amount of money?

Whoops... blew your cover there did I?

Quote:
AquaDesignz.com was started in 2002 out of a basic necessity to find a way to help with the cost of my addiction to keeping beautiful and rare Corals and Fish in my Reef Aquarium.
Disgusting. Letting other people buy your crack for you, because you can get to a wholesaler, eh? Nice....

- Mac
Old 03/26/2005, 08:34 AM
Moved On

Hey Mac-I think you need to take your meds dude.

First off, you've never seen this coral in person so you really can't say what it does/doesn't look like. When I checked it out, I was stumped--it grows like a plate, but looks like a minuture Acanthastrea echinata or hemprichii. I have never seen a piece like this, and even the experts have been stumped by this one. Don't be such an arsehole bro; seriously come down off your salty little horse
Old 03/26/2005, 08:44 AM
Premium Member

Bugsy, I'll give Anthony points for being honest (see my second quote above). But a pimp or a drug-dealer don't lie about where their money comes from either. Doesn't mean I care for what they do.
It's a trend in this hobby, that I don't care for. I don't argue a fool and his money are soon parted, and if one has the means, and chooses to spend it that way, who am I to criticize?
If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, I call it a Duck. You can say Goose if you want, but... I see price gouging, and would expect more from someone like him (anthony knows damn well it's not echinophyllia...). Everyone's got to do what they gotta do, but I prefer sleeping well at night. Best of luck to those that choose to make their money that way.
Good day.

- Mac
Old 03/26/2005, 01:07 PM
wears sex panther

mac, he's just describing how it grows, I think you need to chill and have some punch and pie man, it's a gorgeous piece and I doubt anyone's buying it on name value alone, they'd prolly be buying it cuz it's a great piece. if it's not worth that much to you, why don't you come out and say so, but personally attacking someone else because you don't agree with their prices sounds rather egotistical to me
also, since you're so convinced on what it isn't, why don't you go ahead and tell us what it is and what it's worth, since you seem to know...
in my opinion, I don't think there's an excuse to take things personally against another user here because of what their prices are, it's like every time someone tries to sell an acan on here you get like 8 people posting up what they think of the price, seemingly just to hear themselves talk because no one else really cares, in the end the person that buys it is gonna be happy with their purchase and that's all that matters
just my 2 cents...

and also, wow, what a gorgeous piece

There are no facts, only interpretations

-Nietzche
Old 03/26/2005, 05:03 PM
Got that Anger!

Nope I am going to agree with Mac here,Anthony knows that isnt a echino/acan he gets in mostly top shelf high end frags and he knows his stuff,and that is the worst price gouging i have ever seen those prices are for frags not the entire colony,I have paid that much for corals before buy they were entire colonys and not 1x1 or 2x2 inch frags

But price aside he knows they arent those corals they dont even look close
Old 03/26/2005, 05:11 PM
Moved On

Yea I concure, but it's pretty common that he hasn't been one to frett over propoer id's
Old 03/26/2005, 05:38 PM
Moved On

That's bs guys, he asked me and he asked Jen to try to id that piece. He always trys to get the best id's but the fact of the matter is that sometimes he gets stuff that is so exotic it's never been seen in the hobby before. Remember, this was the guy that sold a 200+ polyp lord colony for $250 because no one knew what it was so he sold it as a blasto (a couple of years ago). When all the experts are stumped what should he do?

I'm telling you, that is one exotic piece of coral, anyone who is truly into collecting exotic pieces of coral should be jumping on it, not getting hung up on the description, unless you are only shopping for names

We have all heard the "price gouging" song and dance before in this forum, in fact I'd say downset-you've been accused of it yourself by outsiders, now you are the villigers with the flaming torches and you are trying to run someone out of town because you don't think his price is fair. It's too ironic.

I bet if you had the only piece of a coral in the trade, you'd be robinhood and send free frags to all...I'll be waiting for mine
Old 03/26/2005, 05:41 PM
Moved On

lol common, rember the leapord blennies.. "great algie eaters" hahaha.

but really it's not that big of a deal, it's just a title. If you like the coral think it's worth the pirce then buy it.. if not who cares...
Old 03/26/2005, 06:04 PM
Is it Charles or Jen? =)

why are we going backwards here. I thought we all went through this crap of "price gouging" "fad" and everything else. This thread was to show off some very nice pieces AquaDesigns has right now, stuff I have never seen before. I think if you want to bash it, you should find or put your own thread up in the discussion forum.
Old 03/26/2005, 08:07 PM
Mantis Freak

thank you bugsy and jen
they said everything fo me

hehe
Old 03/26/2005, 10:23 PM
Got that Anger!

Heres my take on price Bugsy,I will pay it if I want the coral With lords there is a demand that creates the high price,therefore its justified

He most likely got these from a wholesaler and they were nowhere near that price

These are my opinions and if im wrong Im sorry
But theres a difference betweens collector and a fool
Old 03/26/2005, 10:40 PM
Registered Member

That piece, or one very similar to it, was up for sale on eBay a while ago. I do not think it made its reserve ($1300 or $1500, I don't remember). Does anyone know what the highest bid was? I haven't bid on eBay in so long I don't remember my user info so I can't search previous auctions.

-Steve

BTW, it is hard to tell how rare something is until you give it a little time. Who knows there may be 500 shipped in next week. There seem to be a lot more Dendrophyllia coming in then most expected. Heck I got my Rhinopias for much less then what some vendors are trying to sell them for. The first green slimer that came in was very rare.

Last edited by sschafer; 03/26/2005 at 10:54 PM.
Old 03/26/2005, 10:46 PM
Registered Member

As an addition . . . That looks to be a smokin piece, but there is no way I'm spending that kind of money on a 2"x2" frag. I've been keeping salt tanks for quite some time. I've never really seen prices this high on anything other then fish before the purple monster price spike a year or so ago. Have there been corals in the past that have demanded such high prices? Is this caused by the opening of the live fish/coral "markets" to the Internet arena? This should probably be in a different thread, but I'm really curious.

-Steve
Old 03/26/2005, 10:53 PM
I pretend to know stuff

Those pieces are SOLD

PH 8.2
DKH 10
CAL 480
SG 1.025
Old 03/27/2005, 04:30 PM
Moved On

haha, I will guarentee you will never see that coral again outside of www.AquaDesignZ.com I feel sorry for the people who missed it hehe

Downset-I like you bro so don't take this the wrong way-
"But theres a difference betweens collector and a fool"

One man's collector is another man's fool

Here on the lps forum we have been swamped with negativity, both about our personal choices and our personal collections. It just kills me to hear it coming out of one of my Acan brotha's mouths.

sschafer-don't be expecting too many dendros, they are available right now because two people had the same idea at once. Most of this first batch has been grabbed up by LFS as part of thier display tank and are NFS.
Old 03/27/2005, 04:34 PM
Moved On

PS> props to whoeva "D" is, they picked up some seriously rare coral

D- you have some excellent taste, you won't be seeing any of those corals again for sale!
Old 03/27/2005, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

Never say never. I was told I'd never be able to get a Rhinopias frondosa under $1000. Mine cost me a little more then 1/4 of that. If that coral is truely that rare it is a serious shame that it was taken from the Ocean. Anyone that wants to pay that kind of money for a coral, go for it, doesn't bother me a bit. I'll wait until they come in more frequently or frags are available for much less. I've spent silly money on fish and even more crazy money on geckos in my former life so I can't complain. However, I will mention something from my gecko keeping days . . . Rhacodactyls cilliatus, a gecko from New Caledonia, was considered to be completely and utterly extinct. One year a few were found and imported into Germany and the US. These sold for money that would make your head spin. Well sure, they were "extinct"!!! Do a google search on them now and you will find that they are available EVERYWHERE. Without knowing where the coral came from there is no possible way to know how rare it is. Whoever got those coral got some really nice pieces. Maybe they will make tons of cash on them from frags and maybe the price will drop quickly when more are imported . . . only time will tell.

-Steve

Quote:
Originally posted by bugsy714
PS> props to whoeva "D" is, they picked up some seriously rare coral

D- you have some excellent taste, you won't be seeing any of those corals again for sale!