Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish

Old 01/05/2008, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

Question Dangerous haitin reef anemone?

I've had a haitin reef anemone for less than month. They have been doing great, they like having their foot inside a conch shell. Well, this morning, my scooter blenny was acting strange, either it was dying or sleeping late into the morning. It was laying partially hurried in the sand still alive. An hour later, I found it getting eaten by the haitin reef anemone that it was next to.

So I am not sure if something was wrong with the scooter blenny, or if the haitin anemone is dangerous and can catch and eat fish. I think the blenny swam into the tentacle and got caught because the haitin anemone can't catch it at the distance it was at.

Anyway, can I be sure that no more fish will be caught and eaten by the anemone, or what? Please help, are haitin anemonies dangerous, its pretty big now, about a three inch wide foot.

all replies are appreciated thanks.
Old 01/05/2008, 10:51 PM
Registered Member

I've only heard bad news about haitian anemones. I purchased a pink condy, not knowing it was a haitian when I first started up my tank. After it wouldn't stop moving and more importantly stinging my corals I brought it back to my LFS.

Also, no clown fish will host the anemone because of the sting...or so I've been told.
Old 01/06/2008, 02:14 AM
Registered Member

Maroons, clarkii, pink skunks and sometimes ocellaris are known to host in a condylactic anemone.
Old 01/06/2008, 02:48 AM
Registered Member

I think condys have just been givin a bad name.

Mine hasn't moved an inch since placed, and my maroon took right too it. It accepts silversides every few days and even grabs flakes/mysis out of the water when I'm feeding the fish.

As far as stinging, it brushes some of my zoos and doesn't seem to be eating away at them like my old bubble tip did (which never stayed in one spot more than a few weeks). I've also seen some of the other fish brush against it with no problems so i don't think it's anywhere near as powerful as say a carpet.

Old 01/06/2008, 08:42 AM
Reefneck.

My occ clowns hosted my haitian nem until the it got so big, I had to trade it in. In my 40L, I couldnt add corals to the left side of the tank because the anemone wandered so much and it would sting everything in its path. When I traded it in, it was so big, it took up almost half of my tank. There is always a risk of a haitian eating the fish that are hosting it or eating fish out of the water column.

~Becca
Old 01/06/2008, 12:02 PM
Premium Member

From what I've read, mandarins and scooters are a bad mix with any kind of anemone.