Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/03/2008, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

Curing Liverock

I just placed LR in my tank, how often should I do water changes?How much?
Old 01/03/2008, 10:23 PM
Premium Member

Most people will cycle their tanks for 4 weeks or so before adding livestock. You should see a spike in ammonia and nitrate during this time. I do 10% water change every week.
Old 01/03/2008, 10:58 PM
Registered Member

is the tank new or existing?
Old 01/03/2008, 11:15 PM
Registered Member

We need more info on your startup to give specific advice.

But I'll give it a try.

If your tank doesn't have any livestock, I suggest 6 to 8 weeks of curing with weekly or bi-weekly water changes. Measure your parameters every other day and log your findings.

1) What are you doing for top off??
2) Do you have a skimmer??
3) What size/system are you running??
4) Do you have a sump?

There are many more questions. For starters, we would like to know the basics. thanks

WELCOME TO THE FAMILY.
Old 01/04/2008, 10:35 AM
Registered Member

My tank is 24g Nanocube. Ths is my first time setting it up. I use chem-pure and purigen for filteration. I also conveted the second chamber to a refugium with LR rubble and cheato. For now I'm going skimmerless. For top-offs I'm going to build a DIY drip system.

water parameters:
ph: 7.8
Ammonia:0.7 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
Nitite:0.25 ppm
S.G: 1.024
temp:76
KH: 196.9 ppm
Old 01/04/2008, 11:59 AM
A.K.A. colinadam

I actually didn't do any water changes while the tank is cycling, But I did a good sized on when the tank was cycled and before adding livestock to lower nitrates.

Remove the Chemi-Pure and Purigen while cycling, add it again after the tank is cycled (I use both products, wou;dn't have a tank without them).
Old 01/04/2008, 01:15 PM
Registered Member

Why do you have to remove the Chemi-pure and Purigen? Should I keep the tank lights on?
Old 01/04/2008, 03:41 PM
Registered Member

I would give it a month, then do a water changes, let things settle for a couple off weeks then you should be able to start adding critters.
Old 01/04/2008, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

make sure you enough flow within your tank. Hopefully you've added a power head or two to help stir things and not have any dead zones.

When I was curing my rocks, I had my lights on for six/eight hrs.

The reason I recommend doing water changes is to remove some of the die off from the rocks. Doing water changes will remove all of your organism. Your rocks will still be cycling after the water change.

What puzzles me the most is your TEMP.

Why do you keep it at 76?? And how do keep it at that temp??? Do you have a chiller?? What type of lights/fans are you running???
Old 01/04/2008, 06:52 PM
Registered Member

I just checked my temp, its actually 77. My nanocube is in my basement which is considerably cooler then the rest of my house, my heater would have to work to hard to raise the temp more. I just have the stock lights and cooling fans that came with the cube.