Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum

Old 10/17/2007, 12:17 PM
15 & Over Club

Salifert test kit gave false readings?

Remember the post I made a few weeks ago about my reef water turning white do to precipitation? I just found out my older (2 yrs old) Salifert Alk test kit was giving false readings! For quite a while I had trouble raising my Alk level, and couldn't figure out why. With my new Salifert test kit, the Alk reads at 10 and the old one read 4.5!!!! There is no expiration date on the package, so how long does a Salifert test kit normally last?
2001 black T/A WS6~M6 ASC#6979
331rwhp/348rwtq
Mods: !CAGS, Pro 5.0, TSP lid, BGRA, Raptor shift light, Strange 4.10 gears, GMMG exhaust
Old 10/17/2007, 12:53 PM
Premium Member

I think they assume that your going to use the 100 or so tests up and the materials in less time then two years--which is usually the case.
Old 10/17/2007, 02:34 PM
RC Mod

A lot depends on how the kit is handled. If it's kept in a cool, dark place, and all the reagents are kept capped as much as possible, the kit will last longer.
Old 10/17/2007, 07:27 PM
15 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally posted by bertoni
A lot depends on how the kit is handled. If it's kept in a cool, dark place, and all the reagents are kept capped as much as possible, the kit will last longer.

Thats exactly how it was kept. I think I'll send it to Salifert so they can check it out.
2001 black T/A WS6~M6 ASC#6979
331rwhp/348rwtq
Mods: !CAGS, Pro 5.0, TSP lid, BGRA, Raptor shift light, Strange 4.10 gears, GMMG exhaust
Old 10/18/2007, 12:29 AM
Team RC Member

It is probably old and maybe contaminated a little.

I would just buy a new one.

If you want a good reference, API's alk kit is real close to my Salifert. The only draw back is API only gives you results in round numbers. Not fractions.
Old 10/18/2007, 07:48 AM
One Good Friend

There's alot of bad salifert test kits out there now.....and salifert hasn't responded in a while to anyone, they just said there kits are off by less than 6% so there fine......which is not the case at all. This is for Alk, check out the sponsor forum, you could have one of the bad batches.
Old 10/18/2007, 01:20 PM
Team RC Member

I would say the word "alot" is a stretch.

All of my test kits are fine.
Old 10/18/2007, 01:25 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Billybeau1
I would say the word "alot" is a stretch.

All of my test kits are fine.
I think its great if Salifert has posted a list on its forum--takes away doubt and goes back to the way the kit was used or stored etc like JB suggested