Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/07/2007, 12:04 AM
Caribe Piranha

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
My current lamp mix is now
Front
Blue Plus
Pro Color
Super Actinic
UVL 75/25
Blue Plus
Blue Plus

The tank doesn't look as blue as the photo shows but the ellegance glows just like the pic shows.

This shot show about what the color of the light looks like

Awesome Grim, that is exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you so much for your help again!

Nice pictures by the way!
Old 11/07/2007, 04:04 AM
Registered Member

Evening Grim

I have made the effort to try and find this information else where however I can't (made harder by the search feature on RC not allowing a "T5" search as its not enough letters).

Hope you can help with some advice please.

Whats the max depth penetraration of t5's in individual reflectors?

I have a 4 x 2 x 2 now and dont have a problem with LPS on the sand bed using 4 sets of aquamedic sunbeam t5's (2 54w bulbs per fixture, I am using 3 reef blue and 5 15k lamps).

I am doing another tank currently 4 x 2.5 x 2.5 with perhaps 12 individually reflected 54w t5 globes. What do you think the penetration is light at this depth???

Acro and other sps down to what depth?

Thanks in advance if you find the time to help.

Regards
Tim
Old 11/07/2007, 10:18 AM
Registered Member

Any opinions on the Aquactinics Constellation, Solar Flare, or TX5 fixtures? Just upgraded to a 90 and need a 48" fixture, my 36" TX5 just won't cut it.
Old 11/07/2007, 12:47 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Koi
Evening Grim

I have made the effort to try and find this information else where however I can't (made harder by the search feature on RC not allowing a "T5" search as its not enough letters).

Hope you can help with some advice please.

Whats the max depth penetraration of t5's in individual reflectors?

I have a 4 x 2 x 2 now and dont have a problem with LPS on the sand bed using 4 sets of aquamedic sunbeam t5's (2 54w bulbs per fixture, I am using 3 reef blue and 5 15k lamps).

I am doing another tank currently 4 x 2.5 x 2.5 with perhaps 12 individually reflected 54w t5 globes. What do you think the penetration is light at this depth???

Acro and other sps down to what depth?

Thanks in advance if you find the time to help.

Regards
Tim
I would say SPS about half way down if you use good equipment. If you were to overdive the lamp then 3/4 of the way down
Old 11/07/2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pasion
Any opinions on the Aquactinics Constellation, Solar Flare, or TX5 fixtures? Just upgraded to a 90 and need a 48" fixture, my 36" TX5 just won't cut it.
I'd grab the Constellation
Old 11/07/2007, 01:42 PM
Registered Member

Any particular reasons why? I like the fixture, the sleek look is a good thing since I don't have a canopy.

Oh also what would you suggest for bulb choice and configuration? I know it says three separate switches for a dusk to dawn affect. if I knew how they had them on the unit it would be nice, lol. I don't want to automatically assume it is a 3-2-2 with the first 3 having the two outer bulb turn on and the center bulb, then the next two, followed by the other two.

Oops, rambled.
Old 11/07/2007, 02:00 PM
RC Sponsor

Constellation

Front
1) Switch 1
2) Switch 3
3) Switch 2
4) Switch 1
5) Switch 2
6) Switch 3
7) Switch 1
back

Each switch has it's own power cord and one fan is tied into switch 1 and the other is to switch 2. Hope this helps.

Thank you,

Tom
Aquactinics
Old 11/07/2007, 02:03 PM
Caribe Piranha

Grim, what do you think is the most effective way to keep T5 bulbs cool using fans?
Old 11/07/2007, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

Tom,

I totally forgot you guys had a board here, whoops!!! That does help greatly, I appreciate the response.

P
Old 11/07/2007, 03:27 PM
Registered Member

I have a 36" Nova Extreme T-5 setup. I think the bulbs it came with standard are not putting out as much light as this fixture can. The 1" on each end of each bulb is not lit...

I know this setup doesn't have individual reflectors, and i don't want to upgrade the fixture ate this moment, but i want to use the fixture to its fullest potential..

So im looking to get a new 4 bulb combination for it. I like the look that it came with, 2 10k bulbs and 2 actinics...

Im thinking something slightly more blue than my current set-up...

Also, do you guys have any pictures if your current 4 bulb set-ups to compare color??

Thanks in advance for all of your help!!!
Old 11/07/2007, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pasion
Any particular reasons why? I like the fixture, the sleek look is a good thing since I don't have a canopy.

Oh also what would you suggest for bulb choice and configuration? I know it says three separate switches for a dusk to dawn affect. if I knew how they had them on the unit it would be nice, lol. I don't want to automatically assume it is a 3-2-2 with the first 3 having the two outer bulb turn on and the center bulb, then the next two, followed by the other two.

Oops, rambled.
I don't really think you need to overdrive the lamps like the Solar Flare does and with the extra lamp you can create a better mix of lamps.

Front
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
UVL Aquasun
UVL Super Actinic
UVL Aquasun
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus

Use 1,4&7 for Dusk/dawn, 2&6 for sunrise/sunset and 3&5 for midday.
Old 11/07/2007, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by carlos_fb
Grim, what do you think is the most effective way to keep T5 bulbs cool using fans?
Is this a trick question?

(Yes, fans)
Old 11/07/2007, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ooja3k
I have a 36" Nova Extreme T-5 setup. I think the bulbs it came with standard are not putting out as much light as this fixture can. The 1" on each end of each bulb is not lit...

I know this setup doesn't have individual reflectors, and i don't want to upgrade the fixture ate this moment, but i want to use the fixture to its fullest potential..

So im looking to get a new 4 bulb combination for it. I like the look that it came with, 2 10k bulbs and 2 actinics...

Im thinking something slightly more blue than my current set-up...

Also, do you guys have any pictures if your current 4 bulb set-ups to compare color??

Thanks in advance for all of your help!!!
Try this

Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Super Actinic
UVL Aquasun
ATI Blue Plus

Lots of PAR and plenty of blue
Old 11/07/2007, 05:06 PM
Registered Member

Do T5 bulbs "break in". I just installed a Icecap retro setup from reefgeek's and holy blue! I am hoping the blue in mine will settle down a bit.

ati - blueplus
ati - true actinic
uvl - aquasun
ati - blueplus
Old 11/07/2007, 05:35 PM
Registered Member

thats basically the same setup grim just recommended me...

i don't want it too blue...

grim, what do you think about this setup for my nova fixture..

ATI Aquablue
UVL Super Actinic
UVL Aquasun
ATI Blue Plus

how would this look? still lots of PAR?

Last edited by ooja3k; 11/07/2007 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11/07/2007, 05:52 PM
Caribe Piranha

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
Is this a trick question?

(Yes, fans)
Oops sorry I didn't explain myself clearly. I was just wondering where would you install the fans to keep the bulbs cool? on the sides blowing across? on top of the reflectors? pulling air off or blowing in?
Old 11/07/2007, 06:28 PM

It will tone down a tad

Quote:
Originally posted by crossi92
Do T5 bulbs "break in". I just installed a Icecap retro setup from reefgeek's and holy blue! I am hoping the blue in mine will settle down a bit.

ati - blueplus
ati - true actinic
uvl - aquasun
ati - blueplus
Old 11/07/2007, 06:29 PM

Yes, more PAR. Blue is in the eye of the beholder. Everyone percieves color a little differently.

Quote:
Originally posted by ooja3k
thats basically the same setup grim just recommended me...

i don't want it too blue...

grim, what do you think about this setup for my nova fixture..

ATI Aquablue
UVL Super Actinic
UVL Aquasun
ATI Blue Plus

how would this look? still lots of PAR?
Old 11/07/2007, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by carlos_fb
Oops sorry I didn't explain myself clearly. I was just wondering where would you install the fans to keep the bulbs cool? on the sides blowing across? on top of the reflectors? pulling air off or blowing in?
Blowing in works well. Try not to blow directly on the lamps. Blowing in from the back down the endcaps works well.
Old 11/07/2007, 07:17 PM
Registered Member

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=2

Scroll to the bottom with the before and after pics.

Is this for real, he bought the same setup as i did. RIght now my tank looks like the first pic, will it really tone as much as the second pic?
Old 11/07/2007, 07:46 PM
Premium Member

Hey Grim, I put together my T5 setup 4x24, I used the combo that you suggested which was 2 blue+, 1 Super Actinic, 1 Aquasun. It's a bit pink for my flavor so I used a 10kk from my old nova fixture, but it's bluer now. Any recommendations for getting a crisp white vs. pink or blue? TIA

Go SunDevils...there's always next year!
Old 11/07/2007, 11:20 PM
Registered Member

Hi Grim,

I just replaced my PC's with 4 - 60" Ice Cap SLR T5's on a 125 gal tank. I can fit 3 more lights. It's been recommended that I add VHO's for my actinics because of their incredible color. In your opinion, should I add 2- T-5's and 1 VHO, 1 T-5 and 2- VHO's or skip the VHO's and add 3 more T-5's?
Old 11/08/2007, 12:57 AM
Registered Member

HI Grim

I am a newbie to T5s. What would you recommend for a 30x30x10h frag tank for SPS? Thanks
Old 11/08/2007, 03:17 AM
Registered Member

is a costellation enough light for 100g 20" deep to keep anything? clams? sps at all levels? etc etc?
Old 11/08/2007, 06:08 AM
Registered Member

Grim -

I have a Coralife Aqualight Pro that currently has 2 65w CF for actinics with two seperate 65w ballasts.

Is it possible to replace the CF's with T5's and use the old ballasts, or will they need replacing with specific T5 ballasts?

Is it even worth the hassle just for the T5 actinics over the CF?