Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

View Poll Results: SLS Tek light 6x54w or Aquactinics 5x54w TX5?
SLS Tek light 6x54w 11 30.56%
Aquactinics TX 5 5x54w 25 69.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11/05/2007, 01:03 AM
Moved On

SLS Tek2 6x54w or Aquactinics 5x54w TX5?

Any opinions? Or any other suggestions for T5s on 90g mixed reef? I need a T5 fixture that can sit on top of my tank as hanging from ceiling is not an option.
Old 11/05/2007, 10:59 PM
Moved On

OK, it seems the Aquactinics is a landslide. Anyone owned and used both can give some feedback?
Old 11/05/2007, 11:19 PM
Registered Member

I've been looking into exactly what you are and after alot of research and seeing them in action, I have to say Aquactinics all the way.

The only advantage or thing I really like about the Teks is the hood is a little sleeker looking, and i like the width of it.

Other than that, the Aquactinics TX5 puts out more par, looks brighter in person even with one less bulb, has fans and is an awesome company to work with incase of any problems or questions.

So for me personally, it's Aquactinics all the way.
Old 11/05/2007, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

I been comparing these two fixtures as well. Doesn't the TEK light have a superior ballast? If so, does it make enough difference to choose the TEK over the Aquactinics for that sole reason? Other than the ballast, I cannot think of another pro to the TEK.
Old 11/05/2007, 11:44 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Last I heard the Tek and the Aquactinics were both using the Workhorse ballasts. Better reflectors, active cooling and included splash shield make the Aquactinics a better deal.
Old 11/05/2007, 11:55 PM
Moved On

Thanks for all the comments. Does anyone have a closeup photo of the legs that support the Aquactinics TX5 and how it sits on top of the tank? I like the way the Tek legs sit and the lightweight Tek hood, but it seems that active cooling is important factor.
Old 11/06/2007, 12:56 AM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

You dont need legs with the aquactinic but they may have the available. Check their website
Old 11/06/2007, 02:43 AM
Moved On

I think these are the only 2 lighthoods with individual reflectors that can sit on top of the tank, all the rest hang from the ceiling.
Old 11/06/2007, 08:54 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CruzinKim
Thanks for all the comments. Does anyone have a closeup photo of the legs that support the Aquactinics TX5 and how it sits on top of the tank? I like the way the Tek legs sit and the lightweight Tek hood, but it seems that active cooling is important factor.
The legs are kinda ugly. I think the company is full on engineers and not one designer among them. =)
Old 11/06/2007, 12:08 PM
Moved On

I can't find any photos on the Aquactinics mounting legs. Anyone know if the mount on the edge of the tank like the Tek legs, or do they sit on top of the glass or acrylic portion of the tank? Photos would be great.
Old 11/06/2007, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

I'll look when I get home. I have mine (well I will have it) sitting directly on the tank (right now it's a 36" fixture over a 20L so I have it on a 2x4 to keep the distance it will be when it goes over my 50 breeder). I bought the legs, but with the reflector why waste light energy over 3" of nothing but air? The legs are pretty much just stilts, nothing fancy, but they are powdercoated to match the fixture. I believe they sit on the edge of the tank. BTW, I love my TX5. My only beef is you need to remove the end plate to change the bulbs. I wish you could just slide the splash gaurd out without doing the screwdriver thing.
Old 11/07/2007, 03:40 AM
Moved On

Snap a photo of the legs if you can. Sure would have been nice to have thumbscrews on the end plate, so one can just hand tighten and hand loosen for changing the bulbs.
Old 11/07/2007, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

here is that stand. Nothing special, just some powdercoated riser bars. It attaches to the sides of the light fixture.

Old 11/07/2007, 05:23 PM
Moved On

Oh, that is so ugly! Well, it's functional. Thanks so much for the photo as I can't find a photo anywhere. The Tek stand definitely is night and day difference. I'm thinking that for my mixed reef and really not doing any serious SPS, the Tek 6x 54w will probably give me better color combination and more than enough light. I'm going to see if I can get ahold of the Limited Edition that everyone raved about a couple months back... and how quickly it becomes junk compared to Aquactinics TX.

My local dealer brought up a good point, it all depends what you are keeping. Even the Novas with single reflector would be great for a fish only tank. The Teks can handle almost everything, but probably best for non SPS dominated tanks. While the Aquactinics handles SPS dominated tanks better than the Teks.
Old 11/07/2007, 06:17 PM
Registered Member

I went with tek2 sls reflectors in my retro becuase the are a little wider. Not exactly sure if it will help Advise I got from reefgeek.

Cheers,

Kurt
Old 11/07/2007, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
Last I heard the Tek and the Aquactinics were both using the Workhorse ballasts. Better reflectors, active cooling and included splash shield make the Aquactinics a better deal.
this mirrors my thinking. i will be purchasing a TX5 when i get the cash together. as far as the asthetics of the legs, i don't personally care too much as long as they support the light. but that's just me. good luck!
Old 11/08/2007, 04:15 AM
Registered Member

Remember you do not need the legs. I am not even going to use them on my 50. It is designed to sit flush on the tank. It will be an SPS and clam dominant tank.
Old 11/08/2007, 10:48 AM
Registered Member

i need a 30" light, do you think a 24" would sufice? considering its corner and everything is right round the middle, with few low light corals on the edges.
Old 11/08/2007, 10:50 AM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by phish guy
i need a 30" light, do you think a 24" would sufice? considering its corner and everything is right round the middle, with few low light corals on the edges.
24 inch aquatinics will work just fine.
Old 11/08/2007, 12:57 PM
Registered Member

how will you set the 24" on top of a 30" tank?
Old 11/08/2007, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

glass top or rig some legs
Old 11/08/2007, 01:22 PM
Registered Member

okay, that would work. I was curious cause I got a 30" and have been wanting to switch to T5's, and now that both ballast went in my Outer Orbit Compact Fixture it's going to cost me to repair that so might as well switch now.
Thanks.
Old 11/08/2007, 09:38 PM
Moved On

Last call for the vote, so it looks like 2 to 1 in favor of Aquactinics TX5s.
Old 11/10/2007, 11:40 AM
Moved On

Well, thanks everyone for participating in the poll. I'm still not quite decided, but I will do more research on the Aquactinics fixtures.
Old 11/10/2007, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

cruise over to the aquactinics sponsor forum. you may find a good deal as well as the chance to speak directly with the company.