Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/12/2006, 11:09 AM
SpEd Man

Angry Pre-pay for gas

Who else HATES to have to prepay for gas? If they are going to make me pre-pay why don't the gas stations install bill acceptors on the pumps? I don't even fill up anymore because that would mean one trip in to pay, then back to the car to pump, then back in to get change and back out to the car again to finally leave. When you factor in all the people in line to get alcohol, smokes adn lottery tickets it's just not worth the time.
Old 12/12/2006, 11:10 AM
Pulling my hair out

It's a sad result of people driving off without paying for their gas. While I don't like it, I don't blame the owners of the gas-stations for doing it.
Old 12/12/2006, 11:11 AM
667 (Evil and then some)

Pay at the pump with a debit card.
Old 12/12/2006, 11:12 AM
in the bathtub

At most stations you can just stick your little card in a slot. You never have to come in contact with the unwashed masses.

Ed: "I hate to tell you this Dr., but there aren't any fish in that river. In fact, there isn't any river."
Dr. Lao: "That's ok. Me no use bait."
Old 12/12/2006, 11:12 AM
Pulling my hair out

Yup, I pay at the pump most of the time.
Old 12/12/2006, 11:16 AM
Registered Member

There are stations in Sherman Texas where you can put in dollars.

I am a debit card user also.
Old 12/12/2006, 11:20 AM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

I have a Shell gas station close to the house and a shell credit card in my wallet. I pay at the pump and don't have to worry about mingling with the hooligans in the gas station.
Old 12/12/2006, 11:26 AM
On "The List"

There is a station near me (on Interstate 90) that recently went to prepay because of drive offs.
When I pull in, I hit the call button, and say "Hi, it's Bart, will you turn pump whatever on?"
I'm a regular and all the gals that work there know me, so I make one trip in to pay & get my last coffee of the morning.

HEY! I lost it first ~CRP

There is no "Brain" in "Brian." ~Beerguy
Old 12/12/2006, 11:27 AM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

I pay at the pump with a credit card
plus we get credits on the card towards "stuff"
I've earned $300 in gift cards using my credit card
I pay it off each month
Old 12/12/2006, 11:28 AM
On "The List"

Quote:
Originally posted by newtophish
There are stations in Sherman Texas where you can put in dollars.

I am a debit card user also.
I was in Sherman right before Thanksgiving and didn't notice those pumps, but I have seen them in CA

HEY! I lost it first ~CRP

There is no "Brain" in "Brian." ~Beerguy
Old 12/12/2006, 11:32 AM
My Life for Aiur!

As far as I know, everyone in Oklahoma is now PrePay or Pay at the Pump. FWIW, if you don't want to use the Pay at the Pump options, then watch your gasoline usage, do some simple math, and give them a large amount that you are sure to use up. Don't hand them a $100 and buy $20 in gas. That's just silly.
Old 12/12/2006, 12:48 PM
Dirty Reefer

You mean people actually use that green paper money stuff to buy gas?? Or anything for that matter. I use a debit or credit card for just about everything.

The Last Resort, The Eagles
Old 12/12/2006, 01:09 PM
Eternally Discombobulated

I use pay at the pump when I fill up the car. But in my small town I just walk in and say "Hey, pump (insert number) isn't taking the card" and they just turn it on, I fill up, and then pay when I'm done. Of course, the station only has 4 pumps so it's easy to keep tabs on them.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 12/12/2006, 01:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigSkyBart
I was in Sherman right before Thanksgiving and didn't notice those pumps, but I have seen them in CA
You should have stopped by for a cool one!
Old 12/12/2006, 01:14 PM
yawn

If I can't pay at the pump they don't get my business. Lines in the gas station suck.
Old 12/12/2006, 03:41 PM
Registered Member

From a business standpoint, I'm not sure why gas stations ever started using pay at the pump. Stations make absolutely no profit on gas sales and paying at the pump keeps people out of the store where they come in contact with the impulse items that make money.
Old 12/12/2006, 03:57 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

That's a bunch of hoo ha when they say they don't make any money off of gas. Last year Exxon made over 34 billion. How does that not spell P R O F I T from gas sales?
Old 12/12/2006, 04:19 PM
Loan Shark Willy

thats what credit and/or debit cards are for.
Old 12/12/2006, 04:20 PM
Loan Shark Willy

Quote:
Originally posted by Freed
That's a bunch of hoo ha when they say they don't make any money off of gas. Last year Exxon made over 34 billion. How does that not spell P R O F I T from gas sales?
the individual stations make maybe a cent per gallon of gas they sell. they make the majority of their profit on the soda/beer/tobacco/food/etc people buy.
Old 12/12/2006, 04:30 PM
SpEd Man

My wife and I budget our gas money out at the beginning of the month. Since we are only paid monthly we have to keep a close watch on where the money goes. To aid in this we get enough cash for weekly items such as gas, groceries etc. Then we know from a quick glance if we are getting close to being out of gas money and can adjust other spending habits. If we just used the debit card it would be much harder with two of us using it (we've tried it before and one if not both of us would forget to put debits in and end up in trouble. Plus, we have fallen into the credit card trap before and refuse to do it again. Why can't gas pumps have bill acceptors? All the self-checkout lanes in stores do. It just seems like if they are going to make us pay before we pump they could make it a little more convienient.
Old 12/12/2006, 04:38 PM
But what do I know?

I always use my credit card to pay at the pump for gas. I never carry enough cash to fill up my truck. That would mean a trip to the bank every time I had to make a trip to the pump.

"By the way Brian, nice colon." ~ Orchids
Old 12/12/2006, 05:23 PM
Simply Complicated

I hate the prepay stations. I won't use them unles I have no other choice. On one side of the town I live in you have to prepay and on the otherr you don't. I also have a regular stop and have had for years. I have even driven off without paying for my gas on accident and the next time I went in they told me and I paid. I was only like a week later but they didn't call the police or anything. I have gone to another local station that I hit every so often and figured out after the fact I didn't have my purse. The guy said to just stop by tommorrow and give him the money.
Glad the small town aspect isn't lost everywhere.
Old 12/12/2006, 07:04 PM
Premium Member

CC is the only way to go. I work in an area that is prone to drive offs, and every gas station is prepay. I would rather prepay than deal with the idiots that may be inside.
Old 12/12/2006, 09:04 PM
SpEd Man

But Allie, I live in Jasper, you can't get much smaller than that! All the stations in our town are going to pre-pay.
Old 12/12/2006, 09:11 PM
Cancer Sucks

I pay at the pump with a debit card, even if I have to go in for beer or cigs after pumping.

"There either is or there isn't life out there. Both possibilites are frightening."
(someone help me out - who said this?)