Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/29/2007, 11:38 AM
Registered Member

Smile orange shoulder tangs

i have decided to sell my 3 tangs due to elevated aggression between them.at the moment i have 1 achilles,1 purple,and 1 mimic tang.i was thinking of replacing the tangs with a school of around 7 bartlets and just get one tang an orange shoulder.

i was wondering who has them,what kind of aggression do they show towards other tankmates?does you orange shoulder have adult colors?if so what size did he show the adult colors at?i really thing they are wonderful looking fish and could really see this fish in my tank.so please share if you have one,also pics are always great.
Old 12/29/2007, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

thor32766 has one in his 450. It's adult colors are unbelievable. It's personality is amazing. It's by far his favorite fish over his black tang, red sea regal, gold flake angel etc... awesome fish! maybe he will chime in.
Old 12/29/2007, 05:19 PM
Keeper of Tangs

I was actually thinking about getting out of the hobby, but I couldnt get rid of my orange shoulder. So I bought my 450 tank to keep him. Thats how much I love mine. He is my favorite fish. He is the least aggressive tang I have. he is very very easy going. Also he is all full adult colors hes about 10 inches. If you have any questions just ask.
Old 12/29/2007, 05:27 PM
Keeper of Tangs

Heres a pic of him

Old 12/29/2007, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

Thor, how do think an orange shoulder would do in a 6 foot 125g?
Old 12/29/2007, 06:26 PM
Registered Member

I have an orange shoulder in my 400 gallon and he is great. Buy a juvenile and watch the colour change. He will do fine in a 6 foot tank as long as he has some open space to swim.

Cool
Old 12/29/2007, 08:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thor32766
Heres a pic of him

how big was he when you got him?was he already adult colored?i really think this may be my next tang but am worried about finding one small enough and with the adult colors.i do have a great LFS that can get just about any fish if im willing to wait for him to find a good one.also what other fish is housed with him.i will have 6-7 bartlets,1 clown,1clown goby,1 starry blenny,1 CBB,and 3 chromis in the tank.do you see any problem in my tank?
Old 12/29/2007, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

I got him from a fellow reefer and was about 6-7 inches. He has always had his full adult colors. I dont see any problems with your other fish at all. He is currently housed with 12 other tangs, two rabbits, 4 angles and multiple small fish. He bothers no one. The easiet going fish in the tank.
Old 12/29/2007, 08:11 PM
Keeper of Tangs

Sorry I posted under tangers
Old 12/29/2007, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

cool now i just need to locate a healthy one and sell my current tangs.the achilles im sure will be easy to sell,the other two may be a little harder.
Old 12/30/2007, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

If you ship I would love the mimic?
Old 12/30/2007, 02:55 PM
Premium Member

orange shoulders are very passive. I have never had an aggressive issue while holding them. They do get large though.
Old 12/30/2007, 05:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie's Angel
If you ship I would love the mimic?
it may be possible to ship but im not sure on that.it is a elibi mimic tang and he is about 3.5-4" long,his tail is starting to get little streamers on them.i still need to figure out how to get them out of the tank without tearing it apart.

here he is
Old 01/05/2008, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

I have kept orange shouldered tangs (Acanthurus Olivaceous) for many years without problem. I catch them here in Hawaii at about 1 1/2 - 2 inches. At that size they are as yellow as Zebrasoma Flavescens,with no trace of the orange bar. Gradually as they get older the yellow starts to fade and the orange bar appears and darkens. At about 5 1/2 - 6 inches they take on the adult coloration - olive green with bright orange bar fringed in blue.
When small and yellow they do not appreciate other tangs of any species,at least in my experience. When they get larger they seem to tolerate tangs of different shapes such as Zebrasoma Flavescens and Veliferum,Naso Literatus,Unicornus, however remain highly intolerant of similar shaped tangs like Acanthurus Dusumierii,Blochii etc.
The Acanthurus Olivaceous I have kept seemed indifferent to other reef fish like Chaetadons,Centropyge other than the initial "tail slapping" that always greets new additions for the first few hours,but rapidly is forgotten.
Old 01/05/2008, 09:45 AM
Moved On

i have a smaller one in a QT tank he is about 3 inches. tried to put a powder blue in there of similar sized and he tried to kill it. gets along with all my clowns etc though. so he may be right on the not friendly when small
Old 01/05/2008, 04:25 PM
Premium Member

those are pretty sweet looking!