Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/30/2007, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

Is this a bad plan?

OK, provided I can ever catch my single fish (flame angel) that has ich, here is what I plan to do:

I have purchased a 20 gallon long tank, 100 watt heater, hob biowheel filter, thermometer, refractometer (had to correct this from original post, sorry) , inexpensive T5 light fixture. I already have a 600 gph powerhead and an air pump.

I will fill the tank to match the temperature and salinity of my DT. I will add a media bag of bio media (like fluval biomax) instead of live rock. I'll add PVC pipe so my fish can hide.

I will then cycle the tank by adding a cocktail shrimp. Once I have a large ammonia spike, I'll ditch the shrimp, and watch my levels until they drop. I will use the biowheel and hard filter media to handle ammonia throughout the process.

Once the tank has cycled, I'll try to catch the fish and acclimate it, as well as taking this opportunity to add two more compatible very small fish from the store that I would like to have in the 29g DT.

I'll then hypo the tank as quickly as I can without stressing the fish and killing the beneficial bacteria.

Nitrates that the biowheel may generate will hopefully be taken care of by adding a healthy dose of chaeto from my sump.

I'm sure I have a bad idea in there somewhere. Can anyone help point it out?

Last edited by iwishtofish; 11/30/2007 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11/30/2007, 02:02 PM
Premium Member

Is it possible for you to postpone the purchase of the two, other small fish? I think it would be better not to expose them to the flame's ich. Otherwise looks good! Just test for ammonia often and be prepared to do water changes if your filter can't keep up. Good thing you have a refractometer.
Old 11/30/2007, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

I'll check for ammonia frequently, as you suggest, Rekonn. Thanks for replying!

I have pondered the ethics issue of exposing the other two new fish to ich, when they may not have it themselves. However, it seems like whenever I go to a LFS all the tanks are linked together and at least one of the fish is showing some ich. This leads me to believe that every fish I buy is more likely than not to carry the parasite. Is it unwise to treat prophylactically?

Last edited by iwishtofish; 11/30/2007 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11/30/2007, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

I would think that you will have a problem with the new fish if they are not healthy when you get them. Other than that I think you will be treating them for any problems while in QT.

I could be wrong. Maybe someone else will advise if I am.

www.smmas.org
Old 11/30/2007, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

I have treated 2 fish with ick in a very similar manner... it works for me.
Good Luck.