Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/12/2006, 09:17 PM
Reefin' Ain't Easy!

Quote:
Originally posted by Scuba_Dave
I pay at the pump with a credit card
plus we get credits on the card towards "stuff"
I've earned $300 in gift cards using my credit card
I pay it off each month
Wonder where that money went (reef tank ?)

I pay by credit card, i would like to see bill slots so we can pay using cash at the pump
"All the clownfish and yellow tangs in the world can't help you now!" - Peter Griffin
Old 12/12/2006, 09:26 PM
On "The List"

Quote:
Originally posted by newtophish
You should have stopped by for a cool one!
Had I known....

I may have to go back right after the 1st, then you're on the hook for that cold one

HEY! I lost it first ~CRP

There is no "Brain" in "Brian." ~Beerguy
Old 12/12/2006, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

pay at the pump does ruin station profitability. the most we ever made at our c-store was $0.05/gal! with the increased prices, that margin is gone and most local stations get $0.01-0.02/gal.

however, pay at the pump has its benefits also. it reduces theft, and can increase fuel usage (which increases "perks" from the distributors). for example my local station recently went to 24hr p.a.p. and now closes earlier (8pm) nightly. this early closing time reduces overhead, as well.

for most fill-ups, i use pap. but i still make weekly purchases inside. often including a $4 1/2gal of milk. but if i drove to the store ($2 1/2gal) and back it would cost more than $4. i do my best to support local shops. especially since there has been a severe decline in these "low education required" jobs in the area. afterall, my students have to work somewhere when they dropout!

Old 12/12/2006, 10:23 PM
Did I do that?

Quote:
Originally posted by Q-ball
It's a sad result of people driving off without paying for their gas. While I don't like it, I don't blame the owners of the gas-stations for doing it.
You hit the nail on the head there Q-ball. For those of you complaining about it, you should be on the other end of the stick. Having to take stealing report after stealing report because some theif can't pay for his gas. It kinda takes time away from other important things that I could be doing. I'm actually glad gas stations are doing this now.
Old 12/12/2006, 10:26 PM
Simply Complicated

Quote:
Originally posted by crab0000
But Allie, I live in Jasper, you can't get much smaller than that! All the stations in our town are going to pre-pay.
I was just thru there a few weeks ago, I should have waved!
That place shure has changed in the past 6 years since I was thru last.

I know its small but it isn't isolated like where I am. I am with you on the pain the the pump that this is for everyone. I refuse to use my bank card for purchases in an outside a location.
I don't use credit card to pay for gas or groceries so I can't relate to using pay at the pump.
The bill acceptor is a good idea to a point. How many times after you loose a bill from dropping it and the wind blowing it will you use it again.

The best idea I have seen is the speedpass the QT has. Turns on the pump and allows you to fill up and then go in and pay. Sort of qualifies as a prepay.....need the card......without being put off by not knowing what it will cost and multiple trips inside.
Old 12/12/2006, 10:45 PM
Grampa Extroardinaire

If they don't have pay at pump, I don't stop.

Too old for women to care
Old 12/12/2006, 10:59 PM
Premium Member

Its pretty sad people these days are too lazy to walk in to the station to pay for there gas. I am amazed at how many people here wont stop unless you can pay at the pump. What is next, you wont stop if they dont come out and pump it for you?

Chris
Old 12/12/2006, 11:07 PM
Cancer Sucks

Quote:
Originally posted by shannahan14
Its pretty sad people these days are too lazy to walk in to the station to pay for there gas. I am amazed at how many people here wont stop unless you can pay at the pump. What is next, you wont stop if they dont come out and pump it for you?

Chris
I want it delivered while I'm at work!
Oh, and it's not that I'm lazy. I intentionally park in a lot at work that's 1/2 mile from my building so I can get 4 good walks in per day (counting lunch).

"There either is or there isn't life out there. Both possibilites are frightening."
(someone help me out - who said this?)
Old 12/13/2006, 10:49 AM
SpEd Man

Quote:

Chris
It's not as much that as having a four year old to get in and out of the car, especially if she's sick.

Allie, it's incredible how much we have grown isn't it! I have lived here my whole life and love it, but the growth is happening too fast. Actually we live in Talking Rock if you know where that is. Wave next time on your way through
Old 12/13/2006, 10:56 AM
Guardian of Little People

Quote:

Chris
So you have decided that because people pay at the pump they are lazy? Interesting. Personally, I pay at the pump for the convenience. Why take 15 minutes to pay for gas inside (usually behind somebody buying $30 of lottery tickets), when I can take care of it in 15 seconds? You may not value your time, but I can think of other things I would prefer to do with the 15 minutes I save.

Oh, not to mention the fact that I don't have to hold my breath the entire time I am in the station because of the thick fog of cigarette smoke.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 12/13/2006, 11:47 AM
Moved In

LOL, I pay at the pump also, it's great. Saves me from buying junk in the store. Waiting in line etc. I don't consider it lazy either, I walk farther than that just to go get my mail every day.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 12/13/2006, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

What's pre-pay?

AKA *Harley Swingwood*
Old 12/13/2006, 06:34 PM
Minion

Quote:
Originally posted by Wilafur
the individual stations make maybe a cent per gallon of gas they sell. they make the majority of their profit on the soda/beer/tobacco/food/etc people buy.
Out of the immediate surrounding 30 or so gas stations (i.e. on my way to work), only FIVE have convenience stores, so what the do the other 25 or so do to make money?

They make more then a cent per gallon, though the owners of the stations don't make nearly the profit of corporate.

Oh, and why even bother getting out to pump your gas? Oh thats right, NJ is like the last state in the country that still FORBIDS self service, everywhere else is self service nya nya nya nya

..an additional 2 foot extension.. That thing hurt many people..

"Hold your children close."
Jim Hobbs
Old 12/13/2006, 06:50 PM
Loan Shark Willy

^^ i guarantee you, if you compared the profit (not revenue) from the five C&G's vs the remaining G's, you will most likely see a HUGE difference in profit.

also, if you re-read my earlier post, i never said that stations do not make any profit off gas, they definitely do, but the bulk of their profit is derived from convenience sales (much higher margins). have you noticed that most, if not all, new stations are built with a convenience component?

line up their profit on gas sales and you will see that all stations will make a $0.005-0.02 profit per gallon sold.

Last edited by Wilafur; 12/13/2006 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12/13/2006, 11:35 PM
Moved In

Quote:
Originally posted by Nagel
Out of the immediate surrounding 30 or so gas stations (i.e. on my way to work), only FIVE have convenience stores, so what the do the other 25 or so do to make money?

They make more then a cent per gallon, though the owners of the stations don't make nearly the profit of corporate.

Oh, and why even bother getting out to pump your gas? Oh thats right, NJ is like the last state in the country that still FORBIDS self service, everywhere else is self service nya nya nya nya
You've never been to Oregon have you?

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 12/13/2006, 11:56 PM
25 Characters is Not Enou

They have passed a city ordinance where I live requiring
all pumps at all stations to be prepay.
Old 12/14/2006, 05:39 AM
Grampa Extroardinaire

Quote:
Originally posted by Nagel

The state apparently feels the people don't have enough sense to pump their own gas - and don't get me started on the NJ goofy left turns.

My cousin and her husband own a gas station that has three repair bays. A few years ago, they were looking a possibly closing down the bays because the profit on the square footage would be 3-4 times the profit the bays were brining in. They agonized for a couple of months over shutting down the bays. They chose to keep the bays open out of loyalty to their customers and their employees. And they offer both full and self service.

David

Too old for women to care
Old 12/14/2006, 09:10 AM
SpEd Man

All the stations around here have pay at the pump, but it doesn't help if you have cash and have to pre-pay. If they had a line inside just for gas that would help. Then, I wouldn't have to wait on somebody to pick out $100 worth of scratch off lottery tickets.
Old 12/14/2006, 12:40 PM

I would agree with Wilafur. I have had many clients who owned gas stations, and they really didn't make much on the gas, they expected to make their profit on the sales inside the store. It is probably different in metro areas where higher prices can be charged for gas.

Old 12/14/2006, 12:59 PM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

Quote:

Chris
Lazy? I agree with Brian - I value my time. There is very rarely anything I need in the store. I just need gas & to go. Getting my 5 month old out of the car, carrying the car seat in to pay, then back out. THAT would be crazy

I cut & split my own wood, I added on to my shed, gutted & redid my bath, ripped the roof off & dormered the house. Filled in the trench for my newe service feed by hand (shovel), I walk a couple miles every day whjile at work

As far as cash at the pump that is harder. Now the station has to pull cash from multiple locations AND cash out each location to determine theft or problems

I know as a former convienent store manager (robbed 2x) I would prefer people pay with credit cards - less $$ to count
One store I ran I actually had less then $500 cash in the store
I paid every Lottery winner I could to keep cash out of the store
Not that it would deter most thieves, some are happy just to get $1-200 & run off
Old 12/14/2006, 01:36 PM
Loan Shark Willy

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianD
I would agree with Wilafur.
hell hath frozen over!
Old 12/14/2006, 04:49 PM
Premium Member

A few of you obviously need to re-read my post. I still stand by it, if you wont stop at a gas station becuse you cant prepay at the pump YOU ARE LAZY!!! Think you are the only one that has a sick kid??? No your not. Think you are the only one that would have to take in a car seat??? No your not. I have done both. Does that make me better than others? No. The point is you are not the only ones with those issues but yet others overcome them.
Have fun with the extra fifteen minutes, i have never spent more than three or four in a gas station in San Diego.

Chris
Old 12/14/2006, 05:16 PM

Quote:
I still stand by it, if you wont stop at a gas station becuse you cant prepay at the pump YOU ARE LAZY!!!

Chris
I assume you don't have indoor plumbing, because if you have indoor plumbing instead of hauling water from the creek, YOU ARE LAZY!!! I also assume you don't drive a car, because if you take a car instead of walking, YOU ARE LAZY!!!. I assume you raise your own food, because if you buy it at the store instead, YOU ARE LAZY!!!

Get the message? For you to ASSUME that the ONLY reason that people prefer "pay at the pump" is from laziness (and to dismiss the other reasons offered) is quite silly.

Old 12/14/2006, 05:18 PM
Loan Shark Willy

Quote:
A few of you obviously need to re-read my post. I still stand by it, if you wont stop at a gas station becuse you cant prepay at the pump YOU ARE LAZY!!! Think you are the only one that has a sick kid??? No your not. Think you are the only one that would have to take in a car seat??? No your not. I have done both. Does that make me better than others? No. The point is you are not the only ones with those issues but yet others overcome them.
Have fun with the extra fifteen minutes, i have never spent more than three or four in a gas station in San Diego.

Chris
actually it really is not laziness. if you took the time to read the posts above, most people said they do not like to stand in line to pay because they have to deal with strange people in line or a strange cashier.

that being said, time is money. i would rather swipe my card at the pump, get my gas, snag my receipt and be on my merry way.

lastly, i pay for anything and everything i can with my credit card. this is due to the fact that the cc provider sends me an itemized breakdown of my charges for the entire year so come tax season, i can efficiently complete my taxes. not to mention the pts and/or cash back rewards. woooo!

Last edited by Wilafur; 12/14/2006 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12/14/2006, 05:19 PM

Quote:
AHave fun with the extra fifteen minutes, i have never spent more than three or four in a gas station in San Diego.
California must not have a state lottery, because I can almost guarantee you that if you stop here, you will have the pleasure of waiting behind some troglodyte attempting to decide which of the 500 different lottery tickets they wish to buy. Oh, and then waiting for the highly trained clerk at the register as (s)he attempts to master the concept of making the correct change.

Yep, I can see the advantage of walking inside instead of taking 10 seconds and paying at the pump.