Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/09/2008, 04:23 PM
Registered Member

Question TOO Much Flow???

Hello All,

I have a 55G tank that I am setting up to be a reef tank. My buddy gave me a Koralia 4 and Tunze 6045. I have them each placed in a corner of the tank. Is this too much flow for my tank? I have read articles and lots of flow is good thing but I thought I would ask you all your opinion. Thank you for taking the time.
Old 01/09/2008, 04:25 PM
Master of Funk

If you have a sand bed it wont stay put. What are you planning on keeping? Its probably too much flow for anything but SPS.
Old 01/09/2008, 04:48 PM
Registered Member

I currently have 5 turbos, 1 candy cane with about 15 polyps, 80 pounds of live rock, and one other resident which I cannot remember the name of. It is small and when the guys come out it looks like grass flowing. The skelton is red. Sorry, can't remember the name. I would like to add a few mushrooms and an anome when the tank is ready for one. I do have sand and it does stay put as long as the flow isn't directly on it. I also have them hooked up to a wavemaker so there is only one on at a time. I forgot to mention that earlier. Thank you for the help.
Old 01/09/2008, 04:50 PM
Registered Member

u can never have enough flow :-)

one of those red house build people :dance:
Old 01/09/2008, 05:32 PM
master of junk mail

You're good for SPS. Doesn't sound like that's the direction you're heading right now, so I'd pull one pump. Softies & most LPS aren't going to love that movement.
Old 01/09/2008, 05:36 PM
Registered Member

Even though they are on a wave maker you think I should pull one? Do you think I should just run one all of the time VS. the wavemaker?