Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/14/2007, 05:15 PM
Registered Member

Zoa fragging questions...

So, my zoas are gowing OUT OF CONTROL, and i was wondering what the best way to frag them without disrupting the rest of the colony is. Any suggestions?
Old 12/14/2007, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

if you can take out the rock , you can cut a way at them and super glue them to another rock. if you can get it you go in and cut away at them. try to cut the rock out from under them as is is easyer to put them on a rock or frag when glueing.
Old 12/14/2007, 06:32 PM
Registered Member

you can always use a chisel and chip away at the rock. that wont bother the polyps at all!
Old 12/14/2007, 07:11 PM
Registered Member

I actually broke off a chunk of the dead coral they were growing on just about an hour ago, the polyps are all closed now, i'm sure it'll just take a day or so for them to open back up again right?
Old 12/14/2007, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

yup...should do in a couple hours actually...

just please be careful fragging zoas...they could potentially contain toxins...but they will definitely contain loads of very nasty bacteria...much like a toxin (think Komodo dragon or Gila Monster) if it gets onto a mucus membrane of yours...(eyes, nose, mouth) you can get a seriously nasty bacterial infection..i tend to think this is more the case then people would tend to think it is..of zoos supposedly poisoning...

like i said komodos and gilas are not poisonous, but their mouth contains the nastiest bacteria...that one bite often kills the bitten quickly and painfully Via Bacterial infection..

anyway BTT...

like it was said if you can get the rock out and peel the mat off the rock you will be able to make piles of frags...it is easier to get the zoos up once they have grown over the edge of their host rock..
Old 12/15/2007, 08:04 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for all the help, all my zoas are open and healthy this morning when i woke up. On to the next colony i guess...haha.

BTW, before i ever became a reefer i read a TON of articles abou the zoas and their palytoxins, so i'm extra careful anyway. Thanks for the concern though, i appreciate it.
Old 12/15/2007, 01:58 PM
living the obsession

Great story. Well prepared by reading and great success. Congrats.

The challenge is the fun.