Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/18/2007, 01:18 AM
Registered Member

shots of my tank.. been a long time..

Well, its been a long time since i posted on here so i thought i'd get back in by posting some pics of my 54G corner tank as it is right now. Enjoy, any ideas or comments.. lay em down.. lol

Old 12/18/2007, 01:19 AM
Registered Member

Cool!
Old 12/18/2007, 02:13 AM
Registered Member

nice tank, great job

sana
Old 12/18/2007, 02:27 AM
Registered Member

wow under only 130w PC makes me think im burning my corals
Old 12/18/2007, 02:34 AM
Registered Member

hahahaha yea.. well i guess i should update that info.. i added a 70w hqi mh.. mainly just for the blue color and that pretty shimmer effect we all love.. but i'm sure the added light helps out.
Old 12/18/2007, 07:09 AM
Delaware Reef Club

Looks great.
Old 12/18/2007, 10:23 AM
Registered Member

Sweet looking tank !!!
Old 12/18/2007, 10:27 AM
Registered Member

That is some AMAZING Corralline Algae growth on your glass. How old is the tank?
Old 12/18/2007, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

thanks guys... tanks been up for a few years.. actually pretty much exactly two years.. i set it up around xmas time..
Old 12/18/2007, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

Just one peice of advice (as I am having this problem and can see this happening with how you have things set up).

I see your GSP's are close to your Toadstool. At some point the GSP's will spread and start to cover the base of the Toadstool. If they do that, your toadstool will end up getting stung and damaged. If possible, try to move the GSP to an area where you know it won't spread off of that rock. It may look like it is far away right now, but in a month or two, that stuff will be right up against the base of your toadstool, and will annoy the poop out of him.

I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong or anything, but I made that mistake, and it's proving to be quite the hassle now. I love leathers, and yours looks awesome, so I hope you don't have the same problem I am dealing with now.

Otherwise, I think your tank looks awesome
2 Firefish Gobies
Occ. Percula Clownfish
Blue Hepatus Tang
Blue Sided Wrasse
Purple Line Dottyback
Fire Shrimp, Cleaner Shrimp
Old 12/18/2007, 02:44 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the tip, what picture are you refering to?
Old 12/18/2007, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

The top pic. It looks to me in the lower left hand corner there is GSP on the right of the rock and a leather a little bt left of the GSP. Is that right?
2 Firefish Gobies
Occ. Percula Clownfish
Blue Hepatus Tang
Blue Sided Wrasse
Purple Line Dottyback
Old 12/18/2007, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

nice. are the LR and canister filter your only filtration?
Old 12/18/2007, 10:43 PM
Registered Member

I love that ric.
Old 12/19/2007, 02:54 AM
Registered Member

thanks guys, uhm.. steri the coral i think you're refering to is actually the same one as the third pic down..
but yea as far as filter all i have is the LR and canister.. and i haven't even cleaned that for a long time.. yea.. kinda need too.. oops..lol but i also have a skimmer.. doesn't seem to pull much though.. tanks super healthy i sometimes find even baby snails and such.. pretty cool.. lol
Old 12/19/2007, 09:02 AM
problem algae grower

well done, patience good maintainance and a lack of tinkering make for a beautiful tank, unfortunatly all of which I have very little
Old 12/19/2007, 09:23 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jwhitlow1031
thanks guys, uhm.. steri the coral i think you're refering to is actually the same one as the third pic down..
If that's the case, then that is for sure Green Star Polyps. They are a nice coral, feed off of the nutrients in the tank, and are great for beginner reefers (me included) because they grow and spread easily.

Like I said, just be careful of the GSP's growing over to the base of the leather (which I would believe would happen one day just because of how fast GSP's can spread). That would be bad for your leather, and to be honest, that leather you have looks awesome

I started out the same way, with stuff like GSP's and Xenia in my tank. I just put corals pretty much where they would stay at first

Well, in that process I put a leather about 6 inches away from my GSP's, but on the same rock. I didn't think about it at the time, but today (a few months later), it's become a pain. The GSP's are constantly trying to grow on the base of my leather, and when it does, my leather always closes up completely. I have to prune the GSP's back at least once a week now. Don't get me wrong...it's really cool to have a big patch of waving GSP in the tank, but my toadstool, doesn't like it very much

Like I said, this is just an FYI. Your tank does look great!
2 Firefish Gobies
Occ. Percula Clownfish
Blue Hepatus Tang
Blue Sided Wrasse
Purple Line Dottyback
Old 12/19/2007, 09:26 AM
Registered Member

BTW, what type of mushrooms do you have? Those are really cool!
2 Firefish Gobies
Occ. Percula Clownfish
Blue Hepatus Tang
Blue Sided Wrasse
Purple Line Dottyback
Old 12/19/2007, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

see thats the problem i'm not really sure what a lot of this stuff really is. Technically speaking at least. I got a descent amount of the stock thats in here from a guy who was parting out his tank (super cheap) and he didn't know what anything was.. hahahaha.. oh well.. looks good still hehe
Old 12/19/2007, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

Well I don't know exactly what type of mushrooms you have (5th pic in the top left corner...the pic with the yellow tang), but those mushrooms are very cool looking!
2 Firefish Gobies
Occ. Percula Clownfish
Blue Hepatus Tang
Blue Sided Wrasse
Purple Line Dottyback
Old 12/19/2007, 02:14 PM
Registered Member

well in that pic it's some type of orange yuma ricordia..
Old 12/19/2007, 02:15 PM
Registered Member

As far as what you have, I'll see if I can help you out. This is what I see:

In the bottom left and the top right of the 1st pic, I see three toadstool leathers (2 on on top right, one on the bottom left).

On the left hand side of the tank in the first pic, right above the toadstool leather on the left, I see a spaghetti leather coral.

Below the toadstool leathers on the right hand side of the 1st pic I see Anthelia (which also spreads fast. A good starter soft coral).

The 2nd pic, (with the 6 line wrasse) looks to me like a Colt Coral. It looks like you have a few of those in your tank.

Right above the Colt coral, I see another spaghetti leather.

The 3rd pic is GSP (Green Star Polyps)

The 5th pic has the mushroom. You have a couple of different types of mushrooms in your tank in sparadic areas, but the one in the 5th pic just looks really cool to me.

All the corals I see are soft corals, and should be easy to take care of. They will feed on photosynthesis and will also filter feed. You don't have to worry about directly feeding any of your corals. There, now hopefully you know some about what you have. Your tank looks great. I love softies. You have done a great job with the tank so far
2 Firefish Gobies
Occ. Percula Clownfish
Blue Hepatus Tang
Blue Sided Wrasse
Purple Line Dottyback
Old 12/19/2007, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jwhitlow1031
well in that pic it's some type of orange yuma ricordia..
Cool, I'll have to look around for those.
2 Firefish Gobies
Occ. Percula Clownfish
Blue Hepatus Tang
Blue Sided Wrasse
Purple Line Dottyback
Old 12/19/2007, 02:53 PM
Premium Member

Nice pics!
Old 12/19/2007, 05:00 PM
Registered Member

steri, i think the coral you were thinking is gsp is actually a pipe organ coral.. it has harder bases than gsp almost like a lps coral. calcium based so it would seem..