Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/07/2006, 10:41 PM
Premium Member

How can I bleed the air out of my chiller?

I am back into the hobby after many years absence and loving it!!! I do not have much experience with chillers but since I decided to employ MH lighting, didn't have much choice. I bought an AquaMedic Titan 500 for my 180g reef and it is doing a good job keeping the tank right at 77 even with 2 - 250W 14K MH and 2 - 30W 20K fl.

My issue is that it seems as though there is an air pocket trapped in my chiller. It is plumbed seperate from my sump and has an panworld 800gph pump pulling water straight through. I would think that the air should have been gone long ago but ???.

I get bursts of micro bubbles every 2 minutes or so which is messing with the clarity of my beatiful tank.

Any ideas???
Old 11/07/2006, 10:47 PM
sweeeet!!

Your chiller return goes straight into your tank or back to your sump?? I would wonder if the air bubbles are being created on the intake side of the chiller and the air bubbles are running all the way through and back into your display!?! I can't imagine there would be an air pocket trapped in your chiller.

Let it snow, I have a hobby to pay for!!!
Old 11/07/2006, 11:08 PM
In over my head!

If it's air trapped inside the chiller, it should clear itself in a day or two. The other possibility is that you have a pinhole somewhere in the plumbing, and it's drawing in a little bit of air which accumulates and is then blown into the tank periodically. Look carefully to see if salt creep starts to form anywhere in the plumbing.
Old 11/07/2006, 11:15 PM
TRC Leader

If this is a new plumbing job or a new chiller, give it a few days for the air to work itself out, and the slime coating to build up, then you shouldn't have any worries. If it persists, you may be sucking in air into the pump, or have a small leak on the suction side of the pump.

-Ken

MASLAC member
Old 11/07/2006, 11:37 PM
Premium Member

After cleaning my chiller and reconnecting it to my tank, it traps air also. I just connect, run the pump until the discharge stops blowing bubbles in the sump, and then I slightly tip the chiller to side to side and front to back to work the remaining bubbles out.

Chris
Old 12/26/2006, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

I don't think anyone else caught that you are PULLING water through the chiller with your pump.

This is a no-no. The chiller should always be on the positive pressure side of the pump as with all the piping if possible.

Ideally, you should have a short (just a few inches) pipe from the sump into the pump, then everything else is under pressure.

Remember, if you are sucking water through a pipe, any pin holes will suck air in and create micro bubbles when they are chopped up by the impeller. If the pin holes are on the discharge side of the pump, the worst you will get is a bit of salt creep.

Hope this helps

Karl

If I'm not in, I'm making something cold.
Old 12/26/2006, 01:23 PM
Reefin' Ain't Easy!

I caught that, maybe he means the pump is pumping threw the chiller, I don't think it would have worked if he had the pump sucking threw the chiller.
"All the clownfish and yellow tangs in the world can't help you now!" - Peter Griffin
Old 12/26/2006, 01:50 PM
Premium Member

Thanks KarlK.............

that is exactly what the problem was. I was pulling through the chiller and using the flex PVC. I had pin holes that were sucking air and the result was air pockets in my chiller (that released every five minutes or so).

I did bite the bullet a while back and completely re-plumb the chiller with plastic hose and the problem vanished.

Now that I look at your posting I think I am going to change the pump to push instead of pull through the chiller. This is actually great timing as I am replacing my tank next week with a slightly larger tank and had to redo the plumbing anyway!

Thanks much!!!

Kyle