Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/17/2006, 11:21 AM
Flounder - er

TheWuf's 120 to 150 in Seam Splitting Time!

When last I left you....

OK, for those who might be new to my thread(s), this is the new thread to document my new undertaking of going from a 120 gallon reef to a new 150 gallon. Why so little an upgrade you ask? It's a long story...

Quickly told, I had the seam on my 120 start to separate and the vendor replaced it for free with a 150. Couple that with the fact that I wanted to build a new stand, move the tank, and do all the things I didn't do the first time...

Here we are!

I'd be remiss, if I didn't mention and thank a few people here that have helped me tremendously in my reefing endeavors:

Offline, my main contact is a brilliant young reefer Wade Lehman. Online, my two personal mentors are Melev (Marc Levenson) and Weatherson (Joseph Weatherson). I'm sure they've helped many among us too, but if by some chance you haven't seen these two guys threads and websites, stop reading right now and go do a search for them (then come back and finish reading!)

Also, the stand you are about so watch me build is a total and blatant rip-off from Imperatorfan (with permission of course ), so don't give me too much credit.

Ready? Let's go....

The tank again is 150 gallon and it's dimensions are 60"x24"x24". I'll give you more specifics when we get to the install, but first...

The tank was supposed to ship last week, but I haven't gotten a tracking number yet, so I don't know. At any rate, I've got to have a place for it to go when it gets here so let's build the stand.

OK, here's the dream. I'm going to attempt to build the concept below into the wall of a library system such that it all flows together and looks like a custom built in unit.

The stand will wind up being around 6' long and I made it 30" deep. The idea is to give a 6" lip in the back for plumbing and pump shelves. The base is 40" tall, so the tank is more visual at my standing eye level. So, it will wind up being about 6.5 - 7 feet tall with canopy.

Take out the window, and insert the tank, and you get the idea...

Feel free to ask any questions, I'm trying to remember all the pertinent information, but I have most of it written down if I leave something out.

Go on, Click the little Red House!
Old 01/17/2006, 11:22 AM
Flounder - er

So, Monday I got a few hours to start.

Here's the frame of the base. It's 5'x2.5'

Added knee'd legs that are 39.25" tall (that way when I add the 3/4" plywood top the total height will be 40")

Here I've doubled the legs and provided a ledge for the top frame to rest (support weight), and wrapped the top frame. All the joints are opposite the bottom frame so that no joint lines up with another (again, for strength). This took a few attempts as I was stupid and measured the distance from leg to leg the first time. Realizing that that may make it out of square, I measured and sure enough it was. So, I redid it, this time using mathematics to calculate the distance and pulled the whole thing into square.

Here I've added cross bracing as it's an acrylic tank, and thus needs support across the whole bottom as opposed to glass tanks just needing the outside edge supported.

Looks like the same picture, but notice the addition of the back supports.

Just a closer look at the bracing and leg design.

Here I'm installing a double laminated plywood top.

Here it is all cut flush and square.

You're up to date! More to come...

Old 01/17/2006, 11:33 AM
Registered Member

good luck with the new tank. looks like a good start already
Old 01/17/2006, 12:10 PM
Registered Member

looking good!
Old 01/17/2006, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

You did that in one day? That looks like a month of work at my pace...
Old 01/17/2006, 12:28 PM
Flounder - er

Quote:
Originally posted by Anemia
You did that in one day? That looks like a month of work at my pace...
No, more like three hours....

Old 01/17/2006, 01:34 PM
Premium Member

Looks like your off to a great start. That setup with the 2x4's clustered together for the legs is exactly how my Dad and I built my stand. Its so strong I think you could park a car on it. Looking forward to seeing more.........
Old 01/17/2006, 02:00 PM
Personna Non Grata

Very sweet. Eagerly awaiting updates.
Old 01/17/2006, 02:21 PM
Registered Member

I see you have two extra supports along the back, but none in the front. Will that one 2x4 across the front top be able to support the weight without any extra support in the middle?
Old 01/17/2006, 02:25 PM
Flounder - er

HowieB - probably, but I'll be adding a support when the sump goes in anyway. I wondered if anyone would ask that....

Old 01/17/2006, 02:26 PM
Premium Member

Nicely done. Just curious... did you utilize screws or a nail gun and nails? Also, have you received exact measurements of the new tank's drain locations? I'm sure you can see where I'm headed with this last question. Again, you are off to an excellent start and I look forward to the upcoming progress.

Joseph
Old 01/17/2006, 02:33 PM
Flounder - er

Joseph - The whole thing is assembled with specially coated screws, and yes the cross bracing was placed with a spare 4" all around. Made that mistake last time remember?

Old 01/17/2006, 05:40 PM
Registered Member

hmm i believe the word here is thorough . . .
looks good and cant wait to see the finished product . . .
i love seeing the steps and procedures needed for a full setup . . .
i love the 3 wise men of reef central :P
Old 01/17/2006, 05:57 PM
TRC Leader

Like Joseph, I'm wondering if the bulkheads will hit any of those 2x4s.

The stand looks great, and you do not need a central stile on the front since it is a 150g. Many tanks use a 3/4" strip of plywood. You used a 2x4, and a solid top. If you are really concerned, remove the 4 cross braces, add a new 2x4 across the inside front piece to double it up, then reinsert the 4 2x4s once they've been trimmed 1.5" shorter. Of course, screwing those in from the front will be impossible since you'd have to go through 3" of lumber....

Don't forget your sheet of pink foam!
Old 01/17/2006, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

And the fun begins again . Nice start on the stand
Old 01/17/2006, 07:40 PM
Flounder - er

Marc - Well then, see my reply to Joseph The overflow box is 10" wide and dead center the tank at the back. The space between the two inner-most 2x4's is 14". I should be safe, but of course now that you two have chimed in, I'm all nervous!!

I thought you might see my pink foam in the pics, but I must have cropped that out - but I got it!!

Chris - yeah, but this time it's going to be sooo cool! LOL

Mini Update:

I've gotten input from several folks regarding the setup of the closed loop and returns. I've just gotten off the phone with Paul @ OceansMotions - and I'm so excited with my new plan. And just FYI, Paul shared with me some prototypes of stuff coming out later this year and oh my! If you're in the planning stages of a tank, and won't be ready to build until later, make sure you check out his site before building. I can't wait for the new stuff this time, and I'm not sure I'm at liberty to spill the beans, but it's very very cool.

Anyway, I'll layout the plumbing design as we get there...

Now, back to the door frames......

Old 01/17/2006, 07:42 PM
Better Reefer Than You :)

Hate seeing DIY projects like this, it makes me want to start another bigger tank.

But I accually like being married and seeing my kids.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Old 01/17/2006, 07:45 PM
Registered Member

hehehee ive just started my life together with my fiance and getting married in may . . . ive started and already the time with her is less and time with the kids ( tank inhabitants ) increases . . . who knows what the future will hold . . .
Old 01/17/2006, 08:02 PM
Better Reefer Than You :)

The wife calls my tank, my 3rd kid.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Old 01/17/2006, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

hehehee yeah our fish are referred to as our kiddies . . .
we got 1 siamese fighting fish, 7 white mountain clouds and 9 mixed goldfish babies . . . and then my teenagers in the big tank i say teenagers as they are fiesty and do their own thing . . .
Old 01/17/2006, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

Alas, you have answered my question about why such a small upgrade...So far it is looking awsome though I must say. Good luck with everything, and I'll be sure to keep up with this thread.
Old 01/17/2006, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

Looks good so far...but I'm a little concerned about the span on the front of that. Is that about 5' in the front?

If so, are you planning on putting a center brace in there? If not I'd double up the 2x4 or even go with a 2x6. I think you would be surprised what an extra 2x4 going across could do to stiffen it up a bit.

JMO, take it for what it's worth...and as FYI, I went without a center brace on the back of mine as well...

I got my kids 529 plan invested right outside my living room wall...red house shows all.
Old 01/17/2006, 11:57 PM
TRC Leader

My tank is 6' long, and I have no center leg in the back of my tank. There was no way with the sump I had planned. I just used a billion 2x6s.
Old 01/18/2006, 12:06 AM
Registered Member

sorry but i got a 6ft tank and i got supports in the middle oh well i suppose some of us are lucky with regards to tanks like getting freebies and others just struggle . . . :P looks like yet another thread ill be posting on and looking at . . . ooh mine is coming along well at the 3 month stage . .
i remember being asked for the link to my thread but i forgot to post it so here is the link to Chilla's 6ft tank . . .
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=738934
Old 01/18/2006, 08:19 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
My tank is 6' long, and I have no center leg in the back of my tank. There was no way with the sump I had planned. I just used a billion 2x6s.
I' with you...and I beleive I got your blessing when I did mine like that too . Difference is, both of us have doubled up 2x6's running the span. Again, IMO, I think another 2x4 should be run across that front. I can't see any risk in spending the extra $2.00.

I got my kids 529 plan invested right outside my living room wall...red house shows all.