Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/29/2005, 08:52 AM
Registered Member

New AquaC Remora

We just got a new AquaC Remora HOT skimmer for our 30 gallon. The skimmer came with a Maxi Jet 1200.

Can anyone give me some tips/tricks or just general "what to expect" type of info?

Thanks.

Jake
Old 06/29/2005, 08:55 AM
cubed

You'll see a ton of microbubbles for a few days to a week until the skimmer has broken in. I keep my cup at the lowest posistion, but you can play around with it to see where it works best for you.
Old 06/29/2005, 08:58 AM
Send money....

Sugar, does the cup position have anything to do with how many bubble get into the tank? 'Cause I still get a bunch of them in there and my remora is well broken in.
Old 06/29/2005, 09:05 AM
Eternally Discombobulated

From my experience, the cup position doesn't have much to do with the amount of microbubbles that come from the skimmer. Just takes time to work them out. Check to make sure that there are no other sources of the bubbles too. I found that my problem was actually coming from my Magnum HOT 250 that I was using to run carbon. For some reason it was dumping lots of microbubbles into the tank and the skimmer was picking it up.

I run my Remora with the cup pretty much down all the way. I prefer to skim pretty wet. It took my Remora about a week to go from overflowing with yellowish water to pulling a dark and very rank-smelling skimmate.

Also, make sure to give the skimmer a good rinsing in plain warm water. Helps to remove any slight "contaminents" that might be lingering from the manufacturing process.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 06/29/2005, 09:41 AM
Volunteer Tang Police

the microbubles will go away after a while... Ive had mine for over 18 months and its still working like new... good choice
Old 06/29/2005, 10:39 PM
Premium Member

They are definately the best buy for a HOT skimmer.
Old 06/29/2005, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

i would like to add that mine is working alot better without the preskimmer box 3-4 times more skimmate this skimmer does produce alot of bubbles now but i hope it will settle down too
Old 07/05/2005, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

So far, I'm impressed. It's starting to pull out some good, stinky gunk. It's a little louder than I anticipated, though.
Old 07/05/2005, 03:09 PM
Registered Member

I bought mine used, and been running a week and TONS of microbubbles. I am not sure judging on these posts that I want to wait that long to see if they stop, so I am going to try the surface skimmer box, I ordered one last night. We shall see, but I too would love to hear from others who are using this skimmer, just any input ya got...
Old 07/06/2005, 03:12 PM
Registered Member

i also bought a used remora and have been running it for about a month and a half now and the microbubbles won't go away. from everything i've read the skimmer just needs to break in and the bubble will go away but i thought a month and a half would be enough time to break in.
Old 07/06/2005, 05:54 PM
Registered Member

Mine took about a month to break in and has been very reliable and quiet. It pulls a thick skimmate that smells horrible. I actually have it in a sump and it works great. Give it time, we reefers tend to get too excited and look for things to fix.

If you want to make it work better, skim more of the tank and stop itself from generating bubbles you can add a peice of plastic to the return. I did this and noticed about 10% more skimmate and virtually no bubbles returning to the tank.

What you do is find a peice of plastic with an "L" shape to it. It should look like a peice of paper folded in half. Cut it so that it is as long as the width of the return slope. Then get a small nylon tie strap and put it around the part that hangs in the water. This does two things:

1. It creates less bubbles by routing the water away from the pump.
2. It creates more flow in the tank by forcing the water towards the front.
3. You will also notice that it creates more skimmate because it is doing less recycling.

Good luck, PM me if you have questions about the mod or want a picture of the mod.

Lee
Old 10/28/2005, 10:48 AM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

Quote:
Originally posted by VoidRaven
Check to make sure that there are no other sources of the bubbles too. I found that my problem was actually coming from my Magnum HOT 250 that I was using to run carbon.
I have the same problem. I was blaming my Remora for the microbubbles, when in fact, they are coming from the HOT Magnum. I've tried to lube every "O" ring with silicone lube, tighten every connection, and fill it as full as possible to no avail. Any ideas? Did you ever solve this problem, VoidRaven?
Old 10/28/2005, 11:25 AM
Eternally Discombobulated

Hey joey....nope, never have figured it out. I was just downstairs yesterday cleaning the glass on the 55 and out of the blue there was this cloud of microbubbles from the Magnum 250. I'm stumped. Doesn't happen often, but it does happen. I'm still trying to figure it out.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green