Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/05/2005, 09:36 PM
Registered Member

Question sufficient light for an anemone

I am new to the hobby and just inherited a 40 gallon tank with a couple of clown fish ( I think they are false percs) and I wanted to know if i could get a sebay anemone for them. this is my first post so i will try to list all realavant specs of my tanks but i am specifically concerned with lighting.
tank harware- eclipse 3 filter with a biowheel, power compact 55watt smart lamp, and a rio 200 powerhead

Livestock- cleaner shrimp, emerald crab, peppermint shrimp, about seven hermit crabs (don't know what kind), about 10 snails one of which i know is a mexican turbo and a couple of mushrooms.
Old 03/05/2005, 09:55 PM
Premium Member

I would not try to keep a seabae anemone under that light. It is my understanding that they require fairly intense lighting and also prefer a sandy substrate.
Old 03/05/2005, 10:21 PM
Registered Member

that type of light wont be able to support any anemone for a long period of time. i would scrap the eclipse if you look to get a light that will fit you tank. you could rig a light to it but then you have filtration to consider. it would most likely be best to get a protien skimmer. they will add more air to the water and make your anemone happier . this is kind of costly so if your not looking to buy at LEAST better lights i would stear clear from an anemone.
Old 03/06/2005, 01:31 PM
Sparticus...Ok Malcolm

Look into refugiums, best filtration possible IMO. Skimmers aren't needed, but helpful. As far as lighting, metal halide is my favorite, but that's not to say that pc's or VHO's aren't sufficient. I had a very successful soft coral tank that ran off of 440 watts of VHO on a 75 - with a LTA. Metal halides however, will ensure that lighting won't be an issue with sps, clams or high light anemones (sebaes). As far as a first anemone, I would highly suggest getting a BTA over a sebae. BTA anemones are cheap, available and easy to care for (sebaes are only cheap and available ).

WOW!!! There's Some Rock in my Algae!!!