Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/30/2005, 02:52 PM
Moved On

HRCK

NEWS FLASH!!

HRCK fell into his tank right after posting, and has not been seen or heard from since. I think he has been schooled off, so to speak...lol

Maybe he just kept swimming, just kept swimming...lmao

Yea seriously, we need some more stuff, can't one of the techy guys here make a VR tour of his tank ...lol

take care
David
Old 12/30/2005, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

unreal...the georgia aquarium would be proud of that tanks
Old 12/30/2005, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

unreal...the georgia aquarium would be proud of that tanks
Old 12/30/2005, 09:28 PM
Registered Member

have you ever had a leak? it must take you a week to find it...
Old 12/31/2005, 01:44 AM
Registered Member

hhhello
Old 01/15/2006, 02:22 AM
Registered Member

HRCK
Have you collected any of your tanks inhabitants?
I'm just curious if you get most things from trading or from purchases.
Do you isolate your new additions before introducing them to you main tanks? If so, where, for how long etc
Thank you for your posts, most of us don't have experience with tanks/systems as large as your.
Old 01/15/2006, 02:40 AM
Registered Member

Awesome setup
Old 01/15/2006, 04:16 AM
Moved On

interesting
Old 01/15/2006, 03:30 PM
Registered Member

Spent the last few hours reading this entire thread. This is very inspiring and greatly informative. Thank you for sharing!
Old 01/18/2006, 09:31 PM
Registered Member

Yes thank you for sharing...
Old 01/19/2006, 01:50 AM
Drunken Member

That's where my tank went....... thought the livingroom looked empty. Very nice tank, I'm always the late one.
Old 01/19/2006, 04:17 AM
Registered Member

Could'nt sleep stumbled across this thread.................Very Awesome tank(s) indeed. Thank-You for all the pics/posts.

-unknown
Old 01/19/2006, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

breathtaking very nice setup all of it.
I LOVE IT
Old 01/19/2006, 01:19 PM
Premium Member

It's interesting how this thread has managed to survive even though it's been like two or three months since the last post from HRCK. I think it's obviously because of the beauty and dimensions of this piece of reef in HRCK's house.

HRCK if you are still out there, please show signs of life.

Cheers

"Never go to bed mad. Stay up and fight."
-- Phyllis Diller
Old 01/27/2006, 01:06 AM
Registered Member

Nice set up
Old 01/27/2006, 01:06 AM
Registered Member

Nice set up
Old 01/27/2006, 01:30 AM
Registered Member

That is one amazing tank. WOW.
Old 01/28/2006, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

any update of the tank??
Old 01/28/2006, 07:55 PM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
he is GONE let the thread die he hasnt post on RC for over 7 months...

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 01/28/2006, 07:59 PM
Premium Member

Awesome!
Old 02/27/2006, 05:53 PM
Registered Member

One more time:
Quite disappointed that hcrk seems to have disappeared.
Really would like to see what the tank looks like after nearly 2 years.
Old 02/27/2006, 07:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bebo77
he is GONE let the thread die he hasnt post on RC for over 7 months...
Old 02/27/2006, 09:24 PM
Grouch Potato

why let it die? It is inspiring. To be honest, so is hcrk, who seems genuinely honest, considerate and thoughtful despite being very wealthy and successful. Those dont go hand in hand as often as I might wish.

I say keep it alive. Made my day today, maybe someone else's tomorrow.
Old 02/28/2006, 09:12 AM
Registered Member

You're welcome to read the thread but let's stop asking the guy to come back. If he hasn't come back to the thread after 50 requests and two years, I suspect that he never will. Every time someone asks him to "come back," we all get an e-mail alert for no good reason.
Old 03/01/2006, 12:32 PM
Registered Member

First of all, I should like again to convey my sincere apologies for not responding to your many questions earlier.
Unfortunately, there just does not seem to be enough hours available in each day to meet all of my many responsibilities and duties.

Having, reviewed the last batch of replies to this thread, I must say that I continue to be both surprised and gratified by the thread's longevity and by the many readers who have indicated that they have derived useful information and ideas from a review of this thread.

And now, on to a response to the many questions that have been posed in the past few months:

Quote:
Originally posted by skuntking

Thanks for checking back in, just curious have you done anything else with the tank on the other side of the room? I think its the 220?
My original 225 seems to be working well. The inhabitants appear to be healthy and the environment seems stable. There is, however, no doubt but that this tank has not received a fair share of my attention and, as a result, appears a bit sparse (in terms of it's coral population). This results from the fact that I still have not decided on a final "coral" plan for the tank.
However, as I am planning a substantial makover for this area of my basement, I expect that I soon will be forced to make some long overdue decisions.

Quote:
Originally posted by highlands

So where prey-tell did you find the glass? I am looking for sources of low-iron glass for a large tank. I'm considering lamination to get sufficient thickness for one pane. This is in a concrete tank with glass viewing windows in the upper portion of the water column. I am not interested in acrylic.
I'm afraid that I can't be of assistance in this regard; in-as-much-as the place that supplied me with the pane of Starfire glass in 1995 closed long ago.

Quote:
Originally posted by areze

I apologise if this was asked and answered, I read the thread; but who knows how many lbs of live rock is in there total? is it all liverock or is the rear propped up on any sort of table to help with flow, weight, and cost? and lastly; if you remember, where did you purchase your rock from? looks fantastic which Im sure is mostly the aquascaping; but the shapes are interesting and unique as well. really noticable in the night shots.
The main reef contains approximately 2,000 lbs of live rock. The rear of the tank is composed entirely of live-rock with no supporting structure of any kind whatsoever. However, many of the pieces are rather large, permitting the stacking and balancing that you see.
The origin of the majority of the rock is the Florida Keys. At the time, I contracted directly with the diver/collector who permitted me to attend on-site and hand select the various pieces.
The rock was then placed in large bags, boxed and air-freighted directly to my home where the "fresh" live rock was "cured" in 3 large tubs, each of which were lit by a 250 watt metal halide and serviced by a large skimmer.
A by-product of this process was that it allowed a larger potion of the the "life" in the rock to survive, which, in turn led to a more diverse environment.
Unfortunately, this sort of "hands-on" option lapsed years ago when the authorities closed the Florida wild live rock fishery.

Quote:
Originally posted by
AngGenova23

we need updates any new livestock, upgrades etc.
About 6 months ago I replaced my 3 "linked" skimmers with a new unit that was fabricated for me. More specifically, my 3 skimmers have given way to one very large (18" diameter) unit that is approximately 7' high. This new unit has two larger venturies (3/4") - each of which is powered by an Iwaki 55RLT pump.
I recently replaced an old calcium doser (that malfunctioned years ago) with a similar model and began "dosing" kalkwasser.
Basically this was done in order to try and increase my calcium levels.
In terms of fish my major loss was the female "Watanabi angel" (Genicanthus watanabi), who disappeared one day after years of residence in my reef.
Livestock additions included a long nose butterfly (Forcipiger flavissimus); Lyre-tail hawkfish (Cyprinocirrhites polyactis) and a shoal of bicolor anthias (Pseudanthias bicolor). I also found a replacement for my powder blue tang.
Finally, I expect shortly to be in a position to proceed with isolating the aquarium area by installing a an independant ventillation system.

Quote:
Originally posted by jacmyoung

My head is spinning after flipping through all these pages drooling over the pictures. Just one question, many seemed to refer this as one awesome tank, is it really a single display tank?
Most of the pictures posted are of one large display tank. There, however, is a second tank located in our "library" some 30' or so from the main tank.

Quote:
Originally posted by rizkeeper

have you ever had a leak? it must take you a week to find it...
I've had several "leaks". Three points that come to mind on this issue are:
1. When we finished the basement some 15 years ago, I insisted on a pure natural rubber underpad and a top quality carpet, In hindsight this was a crucially important decision in that I have never experienced a problem with "mould" - even though the carpet and floor have been drenched on several occasions.
In practice what this means is that whenever we have experienced a significant leak of one sort or another, we see it as an opportunity to get our carpet cleaned; so a call goes out to the carpet cleaning company who attend promptly with one of their machines and proceed to shampoo and clean the carpet. Thereafter the carpet dries without the need to lift it (or any other special tratment); and, the fact is that 15 yeas after it's installation, our basement carpet looks every bit as good as it did on the day that it was installed.
2. I have several water sensors distributed near the aquariums which are connected to the house alarm and a central monitoring station. This serves to limit the extent of the problem when it occurs.
3. The leaks that we have experienced all related either to the skimmers or to joints in the pipes; we never have experienced any sort of problem either with the aquarium itself or with the sump. The fact is that, over time, things get old and worn out and mishaps inevitably occur.
The moral of the story is that when you have that much water shooting around in your basement, you simply have to expect a problem from time to time, should plan accordingly and not become too discouraged when "the inevitable" happens.

Quote:
Originally posted by OhMatic

HRCK
Have you collected any of your tanks inhabitants?
I'm just curious if you get most things from trading or from purchases.
Do you isolate your new additions before introducing them to you main tanks? If so, where, for how long etc
Thank you for your posts, most of us don't have experience with tanks/systems as large as your.
No I've not collected any of my inhabitants myself.
I'm afraid that I don't isolate and quarantine new inhabitants. When I originally designed my first aquarium (the 225) I allowed for 2 separate quantantine tanks; which are plummed into my secondary system (these can either be linked to the system or isolated from the system through the use of a series of valves). Unfortunately, for one reason or another my "quarantine" experience was poor (in terms of the mortality rate of new arrivals). So, eventually I stopped using the quarantine tanks.
What I do is examine the fish carefully prior to it's purchase and observe it's behavior. I also limit my purchases to reliable sources. It is only where these 3 conditions are met that I will consider a purchase.
I know that this goes against prevailing opinion (and perhaps, to some extent, even logic) and I am not suggesting that my approach should be emulated by anyone else. It has just been my personal observation that the the rate of survival of new introductions is substantially greater when they are allowed to immediately roam the main reef rather than being isolated in a confined space.

On a final note, I should like, once again, to thank all of you for your very kind and generous comments in your replies to this thread.
.....and I certainly intend to return periodically and continue to answer any of your queries.
.....I also intend to take some pictures shortly and to post them

Cheers and best wishes

hcrk