Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/17/2007, 01:53 PM
Premium Member

My 240G Addiction - It's a Miracle

All I can say is this hobby is addicting. It all started one summer day about 3 years ago. I decided to buy my daughter a 12 gallon Nano-Cube and a clownfish. We all know it really wasn’t for her but it convinced my wife we should give it try. It’s all been downhill since. Of course the 12 gallon was never big enough and I wanted a full blown reef so I upgraded to a 90G AGA RR about six months later. Along with the new 90G I had to have a custom stand built, built a basement fish room, and everything else that goes along with this addiction. And like all addictions I need my next fix.

The fix will be an in-wall custom 240G from Miracles Aquariums. So after lurking around the RC forums for about 3 years and learning a ton I decided to start a thread. I’d also like to thank everyone on RC for all of the acquired knowledge and inspiration. I think I learn something new everyday. I look forward to your comments and suggestions.

Display

72" x 26" x 30"
240 gallons from Miracles
Starphire glass front
Right Side External Overflow with 3 – 1.5” bulkheads
2 - Left Side Returns through Euro-brace for 1.5” bulkheads

I would like to go wider but I’m converting a closet, so I’m limited by my garage wall.

Sump / Refugium

Existing 65 gallon acrylic sump

I may end up going bigger if I have to. I’m concerned about the amount of water from the overflow when the power is out. The new tank is going in my office at home which is farther away from the basement fish room than my current 90 gallon tank. I’m going to have a lot of 1.5” pipe between the overflow and the basement which is really going to increase the water volume. If I upgrade the sump I’m thinking of going to a 100G Rubbermaid stock tank.

Water Movement

1 – Existing Gen-X PCX-40 (I will be upgrading to a Barracuda for flow through the sump)
1 – Existing WavySea
2 – Eco-Tech Vortechs with the new wireless controller

I’m open to suggestions. I want something economical but the pumps are in the basement fish room with about 15 feet of head pressure. Suggestions?

Lighting

2 – Existing 250W ReefOptix III+’s on IceCap Ballasts
1 – 250W LumenMax 3 on IceCap Ballast
4 – 36” 39W Atintic Blue+ T5’s on IceCap Ballasts
Phoenix 14K 250Watt DE MH
Fishbowl Innovations Moonlights and controller (I may convert to the Neptune LunarSim)

I will ultimately switch the ReefOptix III’s to the LumenMax 3’s so the light spread will be wider. Any comments or suggestions?

Controller

Existing Neptune Systems ACIII
3 – DC8’s

Skimmer

Existing ASM G3 Skimmer - fully modded (Mesh wheel, Recirc with two Sedra 5000’s, and Gate Valve)

I’m sure I will be upgrading to an ATI Bubble Master 250.

Suggestions?

Calcium Reactor

GEO Calcium Reactor 624

UV

Existing AquaUV 25 Watt

It is currently plumbed inline on the drain. I will need to add another 25 Watt or convert to a 57 Watt. I tried ozone but decided not to use it.

I welcome suggestions and comments as I’m just starting the upgrade process so things can be changed.

It's going here

Adding a door for access to the back

Closet is empty

Door is framed and ready for drywall

Door is in

Old 08/17/2007, 07:44 PM
glutton for punishment

Re: My 240G Addiction - It's a Miracle

Quote:
[i2 – Eco-Tech Vortechs with the new wireless controller
know something we dont? or are you just expecting they'll be out in time for your tank. I know I've been waiting to long.
Old 08/17/2007, 07:56 PM
glutton for punishment

never mind. I guess they are out. bummed. I was on a notification list for the new controller. so much for that

thanks for the info posted though.
Old 09/19/2007, 08:02 AM
Premium Member

I can't believe it's been a month since my last update. Things have been moving along (slowly). I thought I would share the progress.

I forgot to take a picture before the plywood top and the drywall were on the stand. Here are pictures from the inside. I think she'll hold...

I got a little more done since the last picture. I just need to take a few more pictures.
Old 09/19/2007, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

Good looking build!

Looks like space is going to be at a premium though. Are you planning to have the fuge. and all the plumbing under the display tank, or will some of it spill into the garage or basement?

Will you have access from the front of the tank for cleaning and maintenance?

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Old 09/19/2007, 11:00 AM
Registered Member

that will be a sweet fish room
Old 09/19/2007, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

Looks good. Can't wait to see how you use that space.
Old 09/19/2007, 01:14 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the compliments. It feels like it's taking me forever to finish such a small space.

All of the plumbing will run into the fish room in the basement. I will take a few pictures of the room tonight.

For access to the front of the tank - The top 12 inches of the decorative molding around the tank is going to be on rails so it will slide out. I should have the rails installed tonight so I will take a few pictures. I should be able to access the front, right side, and rear of the tank with no problem (I hope).
Old 09/19/2007, 01:18 PM
Premium Member

subscribed, this is going to be nice build.
Old 09/19/2007, 04:19 PM
Premium Member

As promised. More update photos

Drywall hung on the inside

Stainless steel rails will be mounted here

Panasonic 150 CFM exhaust fan (FV-15VQ4). It's going to be connected to a CAP AIR-1 Temperature & Humidity control using the black power cord coming out of the plate in the ceiling.

The two can lights will be replacing the single light you see in the picture.

Pictures of the basement fish room currently connected to my 90G.

Old 09/19/2007, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

Thats a good looking fish room you have there, especially for a 90 gallon. You must have been secretly been planning this upgrade for a while!

I also have a 90, but no fish room. Everything is housed under the tank which really restricts what I can use in terms of a sump/fuge. and skimmer.

My next tank will be about the same size as yours but will be set up as a room divider, so we have 3 viewable sides.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Old 09/19/2007, 09:32 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Very nice! You have a big jump start with that fish room this will be agreat upgrade! Nice work so far!!!
Old 09/19/2007, 11:38 PM
Uncomfortably Caffeinated

Nice work. I just got my tank from Miracles. You'll be happy, they are worth the wait. Your carpentry looks pro. When I first looked at the framing I thought it was your house....then you said it was your stand I think your set....lol

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." But an Indian can't kill anything with a crooked arrow.
Old 09/20/2007, 06:28 AM
Premium Member

Thanks all....

chwcdw - Your right, I always figured I would upgrade. Having the room in the basement just made it a little easier.

dandy7200 - I've been watching your thread as well. Your setup is going to be great.
Old 09/24/2007, 01:55 PM
Premium Member

I finished quite a bit over the weekend and wanted to share a few pics.

The drywall has been sanded and primed. The wall will be re-painted to match the rest of the room. I wanted to make sure everything blends well so I re-primed the whole wall.

The tank area has been sanded and primed. I should be painting it tonight. The green piece of wall laying on the stand will fill in the area on the side once the tank is in. I had to leave it out in order to slide the tank in place since it has a side external overflow.

The other side

Under the stand

I also noticed my current 65 gallon sump has a small crack near one of the bulkheads. So as luck would have it; it gave me an excuse to upgrade the sump (I was planning to do it eventually anyway). I ended up buying a 150 gallon Agrimaster Stock Tank (made by Freeland Ind.). It's the same as the Rubbermaid Stock Tanks.

I'm looking for ideas on how to setup the sump. Anyone have any good ideas or pictures? I know many of you are using the same setup. I'm worried about micro bubbles since it's not as easy to install baffles. Ideas?
Old 09/24/2007, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

Looking great. I love your honest appraisal of your addiction. Sounds very familiar........infact I'm late for my next meeting......reefers anonymous of course.
Old 09/24/2007, 10:17 PM
Registered Member

Very nice!
Old 09/24/2007, 10:39 PM
Premium Member

Very nice. i wish i can do in wall someday without getting in trouble with the wife
Old 09/25/2007, 12:38 PM
Premium Member

Very nice build so far.
Old 09/27/2007, 03:30 PM
Premium Member

Here's a pic of the tank under construction.

Old 09/27/2007, 04:21 PM
Uncomfortably Caffeinated

Now the hardest part of the wait begins Once you've seen it, it can't be delivered any faster....

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." But an Indian can't kill anything with a crooked arrow.
Old 09/27/2007, 06:51 PM
Registered Member

Your stand and room look awsome. I recieved my tank from Derek and they did a super job. If your having euro bracing your about three weeks out, that is how long it took mine. I'm still setting up my 220 can't wait till its up and running
Old 10/03/2007, 03:45 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the compliments. It's kind of like waiting for Christmas. But I'm okay with it since it gives me time to get everything else done.

I have a few updated pics.

Everything has two coats of Kilz and two coats of Valspar Severe Weather Exterior paint. I put some extra outdoor carpet down that I used in my garage (It cleans up easily). I cut it into three sections so I can pull it out if I have too.

The stainless steel rails are mounted

Rails Extended - The rails are only going to support the face of the canopy. The lighting will be supported by a 4:1 pulley system.

Fan and work lights are complete. The pulleys are there for the light rack

I'm working on the light rack next
Old 10/03/2007, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

That looks like the beginning of one clean setup..
Old 10/28/2007, 07:39 PM
Premium Member

I'm slowly getting things done.

The light rack is complete (except for lights). It can be raised and lowered using a pulley system. All of the hardware on the rack is stainless steel. I'm waiting on the IceCap T5 retro's and will be moving my existing ReefOptix III pendants once the 90g is down and adding a LumenMax 3 pendant. I will eventually replace the ReefOptix III's with LumenMax 3's.

I realized as I was hanging the light rack that I wasn't going to be able to easily access the pulleys, fan, or work lights if I needed to. So I decided to cut three holes through the wall and made insulated plugs using plywood and insulation to fill the holes. I will add weather seals and will screw the plugs to the wall to make sure they are good and tight. Now I can get to everything fairly easily if I have to.

The roof cap for the Panasonic fan is installed. The model I'm using has a 6 inch duct so roof cap is a little larger than any of the others on the roof. I have to say that Panasonic exhaust fans are almost silent. I may add another fan to the basement fish room.

I finally got the correct size hole saws for the Hayward bulkheads; so I could start on the new sump. I put two 1.5 inch bulkheads and one 1 inch bulkhead in the sump. One of the 1.5 inch bulkheads will be connected to the Barracuda and the other will be capped for now. The 1 inch bulkhead will be used to pump water from the sump straight to the drain for water changes.

1.5 inch bulkheads - I will never go back to the lightweight bulkheads after using these. They are worth every penny - IMO

1 inch bulkhead

I also extended my current ARC fault circuit from the 90g to the new tank. That was a pain as the local codes require conduit. Once the 90g is down I will remove the ARC fault run to the old location.

I think that's about it for now. I'm going to paint the top of the stand this week and start running PVC from the basement up to the new tank.