Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/26/2004, 08:33 AM
Registered Member

Need help on wood stand for 400 gal tank

Hi everyone, I need help designing a 400 gal tank stand. It will be made out of wood. Any links or pics would be really appreciated.
Thanks
Old 01/26/2004, 10:57 AM
RC Admin

Some schematics for my 330 stand...
http://mikesreef.homeip.net/Paul's%20Diagrams.htm

"So, Mike was right." - MalHavoc
Old 01/26/2004, 11:03 AM
Registered Member

Cool thanks! any more?
Old 01/26/2004, 04:37 PM
Premium Member

Mike,

Really Nice setup. The tank that is in your driveway has 4 openings in the top and the Tank shown with the lighting over it has 3 holes. They are not the same Tank are they?

Mike
Old 01/26/2004, 10:17 PM
Registered Member

Check out the stand pics in my gallery. It might be a little bit of overkill, but it ain't goin nowhere.
Old 01/26/2004, 10:35 PM
RC Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by platy
Mike,

Really Nice setup. The tank that is in your driveway has 4 openings in the top and the Tank shown with the lighting over it has 3 holes. They are not the same Tank are they?

Mike
Platy...
Hmmmm???? Yes, they are. The tank in the driveway is my Tenecor tank, 4 openings. That's the tank I have up and running now. 4x400 watt halides over it.
Unless there is a stray picture on my site somewhere of my original 330 (which was used, and cracked a seam, so it was replaced), I'm not sure where you're seeing 3 openings.

In this picture http://mikesreef.homeip.net/images/lightsfront.jpg
You can see the old tank in the bottom right hand corner, it only had 3 openings...But that's all I can find of it.

Mike

Old 01/26/2004, 10:59 PM
Premium Member

It was this picture looked like a used tank with three openings http://mikesreef.homeip.net/images/Topsmall.jpg
Old 01/27/2004, 12:17 AM
Registered Member

platy,
You can see the start of the 4th hole in the link you sent, it's just the angle the pic was taken in.
Old 01/27/2004, 01:07 AM
28" Rainbow Trout

Hi Mike,

I'm designing a stand for a 300 and ran across yours. Why a support every 12" from front to back of your stand (width-wise)? Since the supports dont really touch the tank's bottom edge why do so many? From what I've read and construction type friends have said 4 4x4s on the corners would hold the 4000lbs of the full tank, the other 2 4x4s in the middle and the 2x6[4]s spliting them (btwn corners and center braces) are just something to reduce the stress across the span of a 8-10' tank.

What's with the 45*angled supports from back to middle of the stand? (didnt even address this) and all the cross members? I'm for building something to hold the weight, but NOT for building something that adds more wieght (and as important: cost)

Your drawing are great detail. I just want to see if you beefing it more than what's necessary.

-Don
Old 01/27/2004, 07:32 AM
RC Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by platy
It was this picture looked like a used tank with three openings http://mikesreef.homeip.net/images/Topsmall.jpg

Ahhhh...Yeah, that's the first used tank that failed...Never even got it filled...Tossed it and had a new one built by Tenecor...

Mike

Old 01/27/2004, 07:38 AM
RC Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by imsqueak

I'm designing a stand for a 300 and ran across yours. Why a support every 12" from front to back of your stand (width-wise)? Since the supports dont really touch the tank's bottom edge why do so many? From what I've read and construction type friends have said 4 4x4s on the corners would hold the 4000lbs of the full tank, the other 2 4x4s in the middle and the 2x6[4]s spliting them (btwn corners and center braces) are just something to reduce the stress across the span of a 8-10' tank.
I didn't design the stand myself. A guy I met that is a structural engineer and also a fellow large tank owner did. I trusted his judgment blindly.

What's with the 45*angled supports from back to middle of the stand? (didnt even address this) and all the cross members? I'm for building something to hold the weight, but NOT for building something that adds more wieght (and as important: cost)

The 45's were added to prevent any shifting from front to back. I didn't care about cost or weight, it was built in my basement, not like I had to carry it anywhere. Like I've said before, this thing was totally overengineered on purpose, I could land small aircraft on it.

Mike

Old 01/27/2004, 02:38 PM
Premium Member

Here are pics of my stand for my 450g. I glued and screwed ever lap joint.
I used Gorilla glue and it doesn't move at all even when I lean on it cleaning etc.

Bare frame

In place with plywood top

I think if I built it again I would have put a 1/2" plywood bottom just to catch any drips etc.

But Honey it won't be that expensive of a hobby!!!
Old 01/27/2004, 11:38 PM
Registered Member

hey mustang so it was all just glue and screws????? Im making a new stand soon the first and only stand I have built was for a 55 gal and I used 2 carrage bolts for each of the 6 uprights and they were bolted through the horizontals, I remember each one of those arnt cheap, I will be making a stand for a 500 gal tank in a while, But am Not sure If I wanna spring for carrage bolts for the whole thing, any suggestions? or maybe 1 carrage bolt for each upright( top and bottom and then just 2-4 screws in addition and glue? ( anyone have opinions)??????I know Im a fan of Overbuilding But on a LARGE stand thats a lot of cash in bolts.
Old 01/28/2004, 10:09 AM
reef aquarium god

i have a pic in my photo gallery of the stand i built for my 367 gallon..all PT 4x4,s nailed together with GALVANIZED 6" spikes...if you just use regular screews or nails, they will rust and then the problems start.
-mike
Old 01/28/2004, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

nice stand

looks good, how long has it been up for?
Old 01/28/2004, 12:35 PM
reef aquarium god

mine has been up for almost 3 years....
Old 01/28/2004, 12:37 PM
reef aquarium god

i should add, i have added in cross members for more lateral bracing...but i dont have a pic of that..sorry
Old 01/28/2004, 01:38 PM
Premium Member

Yep just glue and screws. No lags what you can't see is that ever joint it a lap joint. They are not just butted together
Each joint got 5 screws and multiple screws along the lenght of each board the are doubled

I tested one after the glue was dry at it split the wood before the joint came apart. It been up for a little over a year right now

Also The "skin" is made out of oak and attached to the frame

I guess for a few bucks the lags can't hurt?

If you get a chance lool at the stands the LFS sells you would be amazed at hw flimsy there are made 2x2 with 1/2 plywood

But Honey it won't be that expensive of a hobby!!!

Last edited by Mustang; 01/28/2004 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01/29/2004, 09:41 PM
Registered Member

Here is a pic of the stand for my 400 gallon. I used 2x4's every 16"OC. The 2x4's are trippled in the rear center of the tank (and quadroupled in the front because of a larger opening for access under the stand). The crossbraces are also 2x4's, which sit on glue-laminated 4x4. Around the whole perimeter is a 2x4 so the 3/4" plywood on top sits on that and the crossbraces. Everything is glued and screwed together. I have a sheet of 3/4" plywood on each end and will also add a 3/4" plywood sheet across the whole back for shear strength. BTW the weird color on the stand is the epoxy I have on the top.
Let me know if you have questions.
Old 01/30/2004, 12:18 AM
My Name is Inigo Montoya

Mustang ang Ger, can you both post some more pics of your stands. I too am setting up a 400 gallon and would like to see more of these "structures". I was thinking I might have to resort to using 4x6 dimensional lumber to carry this load, but you guys appear to have done quite well without resorting to such heavy lumber.
Old 01/30/2004, 11:11 AM
Premium Member

I'm working on a 525G myself... I've put up my stand pics at:

http://www.inverttanks.com/newtank/stand.htm

I'm going to add an additional set of posts so there are a total of four under the 8' span. I'm using 4x6's for header and base lumber. I'm going to use 2-2x6 slapped together for the posts (thanks to all who chimmed in on my thread with that suggestion!) I'm going to use 2x6 joists across the top, 16" on center, with a sheet of 3/4" ply over the whole thing.

[Ken] Mustang's frame looks a lot like I hope mine will.

--Sean--
Old 01/30/2004, 11:31 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sabodish
i have a pic in my photo gallery of the stand i built for my 367 gallon..all PT 4x4,s nailed together with GALVANIZED 6" spikes...if you just use regular screews or nails, they will rust and then the problems start.
-mike
Mike, they make galvanized screws too.

Great looking stand, Mustang, quite adequate to do the job IMO.
Steve
Old 01/30/2004, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

I just posted some pictures of my stand and the floor support in my gallery. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.
Old 02/02/2004, 01:20 AM
My Name is Inigo Montoya

Thanks for the extra pics Ger.
Old 02/02/2004, 03:27 AM
Moved On

When I made my 360 gallon, I made a stand very similar to mustangs out of 4x4s. The thing was that I knew I never wanted to have to lift it again, but I knew I would have to move it eventually. I made mounting plates/points inside the outside corners. When the tank is drained, or even has a little water/gravel left in it, I can simply jack up one side at a time and bolt on a couple 2000lb caster blocks. When all 4 are on I can move the tank and stand in one(prolly about 800lbs or more even empty...glass is heavy!) by myself all around the basement...no problem. And because the basement is exposed on one side, if I ever need to move it all together, I can just wheel it out the door and up a ramp into a truck. I cant imagine what I would do if I had not made the stand to accomidate this roller system. Many people dont think they will ever want to move tanks of this size...but often do years later...even if just for a temporary cleaning under the stand. Just an idea I wanted to pass along if it might help. No calling over the boys to have them lift the tank off the stand and do everything the hard way.