Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/03/2007, 07:49 PM
Premium Member

Book it program

I can't believe someone is picking a fight with the book it program that pizza hut runs.

For those who were never involved, you had to read a certain amount each month and in return you received a coupon for a free personal pan pizza.

http://www.commercialexploitation.or...ahutbookit.htm

Apparently this is the whole reason there's childhood obesity.
Old 03/03/2007, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

That is rediculous, the fact that your child can get a free child size pizza a month is going to make them fat? I was involved in this program when I was in school and would eat half of the pizza when we got it and the other half would come home for dinner another night.
Old 03/03/2007, 08:18 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by neo1013
That is rediculous, the fact that your child can get a free child size pizza a month is going to make them fat? I was involved in this program when I was in school and would eat half of the pizza when we got it and the other half would come home for dinner another night.

exactly.....I was also involved and in the years that I was in the program we went maybe 5 times total.
Old 03/03/2007, 08:19 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

Some people have a lot of time on their hands!

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 03/03/2007, 08:20 PM
Registered Member

then again the kids that go the most should go out and play sports in place of reading
Old 03/03/2007, 11:31 PM
Single Chick

My God, its once a month not once a day!!!!! Its the parents fault if their kid isn't eating healthy(outside the pizza) so we will end up with fat kids that can't read!!!! LET THEM HAVE A FRIGGEN PIZZA!!! If they earned it whats the big deal??
Old 03/03/2007, 11:42 PM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

Those people need a Life

and a Pizza & coke to wash it down
Old 03/04/2007, 08:38 AM
Registered Member

Right on scuba dave
Old 03/04/2007, 09:20 AM
Team RC Member

The food police should worry about how much a kid eats, not so much what they eat. Life would be pretty grim if all we got was salad. They ought to be onto the china-makers insisting they make the plate serving area smaller. They ought to be on the FCC limiting fast food and candy adverts the way they did cigarettes. NAW, they want to go bashing somebody providing a reading program that requires real work out of the kids, rather than hitting the guys on telly that are counting on their commercial triggering a rush to the fridge for stuff that isn't half as good for you.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 03/04/2007, 09:43 AM
Moved In

I think I still have the kid's book it pins. I thought it was a great program.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 03/04/2007, 01:37 PM
Registered Member

I loved that program! We didn't have a lot of money growing up, so when my sister and I got our goals we got to go to Pizza Hut. That was the one time a month we got fast food. And I don't remember being allowed to eat the whole thing at once.

I think that there are more important things to fight than a reading program. Who cares if it has no testing to see how well it works! If the kids are getting the goals, that tells me that the program works.

What about the vending machines in schools? What about unhealthy school lunches? I used to get deep fried mazzarella (sp?) sticks because they were fast and easy to get. I only got 20 minutes for lunch. The "chicken" nuggets were also a hot seller, so were the fries too.

Yes let's all blame Pizza Hut.
Old 03/04/2007, 01:48 PM
Team RC Member

THere's a particular breed of public relations guy who noses around for some big ad campaign and 'saves' his cause a lot of money by finding a way to object to it and get in the news for free, piggybacked on the money the company spent---not based on any real conviction or the fact that there's anything really wrong, just that "we can get into the news."

Oh, and what's the other criterion for this tactic: does the company we're attacking have enough money and clout to get onto the news and object to us, so they'll get tar on them and we get MORE free publicity.

Result: big, bit publicity for the 'cause', whatever it is, politics, weightloss, health, religion, safety, you name it, and the ad guy gets rich off his fee. Far as I'm concerned, any campaign that uses this tactic is a real bottom feeder, and they go straight to the bottom of my personal opinion poll.

Just look around you at how many 'causes' use this cheapshot tactic, and prepare to be revolted.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 03/04/2007, 02:44 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sk8r
THere's a particular breed of public relations guy who noses around for some big ad campaign and 'saves' his cause a lot of money by finding a way to object to it and get in the news for free, piggybacked on the money the company spent---not based on any real conviction or the fact that there's anything really wrong, just that "we can get into the news."

Oh, and what's the other criterion for this tactic: does the company we're attacking have enough money and clout to get onto the news and object to us, so they'll get tar on them and we get MORE free publicity.

Result: big, bit publicity for the 'cause', whatever it is, politics, weightloss, health, religion, safety, you name it, and the ad guy gets rich off his fee. Far as I'm concerned, any campaign that uses this tactic is a real bottom feeder, and they go straight to the bottom of my personal opinion poll.

Just look around you at how many 'causes' use this cheapshot tactic, and prepare to be revolted.

that's exactly what my thinking was.

Here's what I emailed them last night...

"I for one completely disagree with what you're trying to accomplish by picking a fight with Pizza Hut and the Book it program. You're crying about kids being rewarded for a month of reading, receiving 1 personal pan pizza in return. I think it's a complete joke that you seem to think it's even any of your concern. It's mostly because of this encouragement to read that I ended up reading in 5th and 6th grade at the 12th grade level. As it turns out, my family and I maybe redeemed 5 of those coupons in the years I was in the program because it wasn't always easy to get to Pizza Hut. Your "concern" that it's linking to childhood obesity is completely unfounded. You mean to tell me a child eating 1 personal pan pizza in a month is why they're obese....sorry, I don't buy it for a second. Maybe you should be attacking the parents of these obese children for the neglect involved in letting their child become obese instead of grandstanding and trying to go after a major corporation, only to further your name in the public."