Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/30/2003, 10:24 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by StroKnight
i would like to see the final pics already. you know if its not a problem.
...you and me both
Old 09/30/2003, 10:31 AM
Premium Member

Twize, I've been following this thread closely... just thought I'd chime in. Your tank, stand, and home construction all look incredible! Keep up the good work - you're inspiring a lot of people.
Old 09/30/2003, 10:47 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Twize
...you and me both
and me, oh yeah can I come over for a swim
Twize
I only have a 300 and its taking me forever. Youre doing a great job like cole said.

Git-r-done...
Old 09/30/2003, 10:48 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stranglehold
What about top off water? Any idea how many gallons you will evaporate in a day?

I use a dosing pump on a timer to dose kalk water for my makup. I think this is safe than float switches. Guessing you will need about 30 gpd. If you dose kalk at night, you will need at least 4 gph on the pump.

Mine is made by LMI, and I feel it is very sturdily built. It is a diapham pump, not the type that use the tubes.

One dow side to the dosing pump is the noise. But mine is in the basement and comes on at about 2:00 am. So, only the dogs know it comes on.

Some nice square holding tanks would be nice in a "smallish" pump room like yours. Rather than round trash cans.

"Use the cube" should be kept in your mind when laying out the equiment. It looks like you are on the right track.

Do you have a dedicated AC unit planned for this room? Sure would hate to see one hanging out of that window by the door.
stranglehold,
I haven't decided yet on top off method, either to float off with my 100gpd RODI Unit or Dosing pump. I won't know exactly how
much i'll be evaporating since there's too many contributing factors to calculate regarding the lighting setup, sump(s) sizes, Surging, Ref size etc. All in which i'm still fine tuning and designing....either way, it will be a good amount of evap.

Good thoughts on the "cube" design, it's gonna be semi-tight but more than enough room to access everything.

I will have 4-20amp dedicated circuits to that room. plus having installed to the home a 15k watt Natural Gas ONAN Cummins Diesel Generator with Auto Transher Switch. btw, here's where a lot of my budget went

Thx for the comments.
Old 09/30/2003, 10:52 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lilbuddy
and me, oh yeah can I come over for a swim
Twize
I only have a 300 and its taking me forever. Youre doing a great job like cole said.
Lilbuddy,
Thanks for the kind words, and sure, c'mon over, gotta warn you though, my pug is getting protective over his new swimhole
Old 09/30/2003, 10:58 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Lilbuddy,
Thanks for the kind words, and sure, c'mon over, gotta warn you though, my pug is getting protective over his new swimhole
oh no, pug and flippers dont go well together. Out of curiousty what kind of return pump are you using. Sorry if you all ready told us. I just didnt feel like reading the whole thread to find out
lilbuddy=lazy

Git-r-done...
Old 09/30/2003, 11:08 AM
Premium Member

Lilbuddy,
There will be multiple pumps for the surge tank, Main return, Closed loops and Seaswirls, not to mention the smaller pumps for the Protein skimmer and Refugium.
As for brands, I'm still reviewing various models of Dolphins and Sequence for the main returns.
Old 09/30/2003, 11:11 AM
Premium Member

yeah i meant main returns. for my 300 alone i will be running a ampster 3000 with two 1" sea swirls. May have to add some more circulation. my tank is 96"x24"x31"

Git-r-done...
Old 09/30/2003, 11:17 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lilbuddy
yeah i meant main returns. for my 300 alone i will be running a ampster 3000 with two 1" sea swirls. May have to add some more circulation. my tank is 96"x24"x31"
Hey I checked out your website, are you able to get other products as well?

PM me. Thanks!
Old 09/30/2003, 11:32 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by colemanitis
Twize, I've been following this thread closely... just thought I'd chime in. Your tank, stand, and home construction all look incredible! Keep up the good work - you're inspiring a lot of people.
Colemanitis,
Thank you for the words of encouragement. I am very excited as well in planning and executing each phase of this project. Just Reviewing and researching is half the fun.
Thanks again for the comments.
Old 09/30/2003, 11:33 AM
Skeet, Skeet, Skeet

Quote:
stranglehold,
having installed to the home a 15k watt Natural Gas ONAN Cummins Diesel Generator with Auto Transher Switch.

Thx for the comments.
If you have not already purchase this, I would recomend a propane or natural gas powered unit(unless of course you have other uses for the deisel. Mine is propane.

On leveling the stand, if it is out of level, you might consider shimming the corners with some stainless or alluminum first. Then secure the shims to the floor and/or each other with hot-melt glue. Raise the stand or move it out of the way. Then mix some grout up and float some around where the stand will set and then put the stand back. It should settle on the corner shims and then be 100% supported by the remaining grout. Could use some type of cement mixture, but do not use any stones in the mix. But grout should be enough.

This would be the best way to do it, I feel.

I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time
Give it right back to you....One of these days
Old 09/30/2003, 11:47 AM
Premium Member

Whoops, sorry.... on the typo.
So use to putting Diesel after the word Cummins
It is a natural gas, with the Onan Cummins Inline 4cylinder, liquid cooled engine. I've seen these at a home show and was very impressed with the onan home generators.

Thanks for the Great input on the stand leveling.
Old 09/30/2003, 01:16 PM
Moved On

Location: Los Angeles - Where the Sun Grows Frags All Year Long :)
Lilbuddy,

I saw your post about the AMP3K to a pair of 1" sea swirls. - You might want to reconsider this. The dolphin pump moves a huge volume of water, but doesn't have much pressure.

If you use a dolphin with a pair of 1" sea swirls you will not be thrilled by the flow rate you end up with. You should look into pressure related pump.

The head pressure is not at issue here. The Dolphin is a great pump and I love the volume and silence of mine. But the when you reduce the size of the return you reduce the volume and don't increase the pressure at all.

Dave B
Old 09/30/2003, 01:31 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by o2manyfish
Lilbuddy,

I saw your post about the AMP3K to a pair of 1" sea swirls. - You might want to reconsider this. The dolphin pump moves a huge volume of water, but doesn't have much pressure.

If you use a dolphin with a pair of 1" sea swirls you will not be thrilled by the flow rate you end up with. You should look into pressure related pump.

The head pressure is not at issue here. The Dolphin is a great pump and I love the volume and silence of mine. But the when you reduce the size of the return you reduce the volume and don't increase the pressure at all.

Dave B
Dave
Thanks for the info and I was affraid of this. I contacted seaswirl and dolphin direct and asked them and they said that was a great combo and would work fine. I thought of just running the returns as I normally would and add a tunze for some water movement..

Git-r-done...
Old 09/30/2003, 01:56 PM
AIM: reefer on a budget

the ampmaster with dual 1" SS is a nice combination as i have it on my current system. you have the choice of running higher pressure by using the existing SS elbows which are 3/4" at the output or u can simply remove them for a 1" output. on my setup i replaced the whole elbow with a 1 1/4" elbow.
with a tank this size, you'd want to move a lot of water which i think ted has covered with the surge and the plans for several ampmasters and SS.

ted,
since your system is so huge, have u considered adding tunze stream pumps?
Old 09/30/2003, 02:25 PM
Premium Member

I've been reading up on those Tunze, and have spoke with one of their reps. Might be a consideration but will go with my initial setup 1st to see how the flows work out.
Old 09/30/2003, 02:41 PM
Moved On

Location: Los Angeles - Where the Sun Grows Frags All Year Long :)
There is a new pump coming out called the SGIO - In greek it means storm.

It is the size and shape of a powerhead but uses a fan blade like a jet engine to push a soft wave of water.

Initial sizes are 1600gph up to 4000 gph.

They are smaller than the tunze and mount like a powerhead to the sides of the tank internally.

I got a chance to play with a prototype 1800gph model and was able to aim it at my SPS from 2" away and the flow was soft enough to blow the Acros and yet not cause any damage or even make the polyps retract.

And yet the same pump was able the provide flow from up to 4ft away.

These pumps are supposed to be available by Christmas time. And the cost is a fraction of the Tunze.

I was fortunate enough to get to compare both pumps side by side. They are both silent (was comparing the 3000gph Tunze to the 1800gh Sgio). They both move a ton of water. But the tunze size and mounting system were eyesores, and the Sgio just hid in the corner.

Pricing isn't set but I think that by Christmas time you would be able to buy a set of 4 of these that push 3000+gph for around $550.

Something to think about

Dave B
Old 09/30/2003, 02:48 PM
Premium Member

Dave,
Awesome, Thx for the heads up!!!
Thanks
Old 09/30/2003, 02:56 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by o2manyfish
There is a new pump coming out called the SGIO - In greek it means storm.
Dave,
Sounds promising... any idea where we could get more info on these?
Old 09/30/2003, 05:02 PM
Reefer

Goodness gracious that's an awesome tank. I'll have to shoot over to Folsom when I visit my relatives in Manteca or Fairfield...

God bless.
Old 09/30/2003, 05:16 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by exodus
Goodness gracious that's an awesome tank. I'll have to shoot over to Folsom when I visit my relatives in Manteca or Fairfield...

God bless.
Exodus, Thanks for the compliment. You are welcome anytime to swing by when your in town! no admission fee but I'll pull a weatherson here and say.... Frag donations accepted J/K
Just kidding.......unless you really want to donate
Old 09/30/2003, 05:45 PM
Monkey

yeah, a worthwhile charity...... I'm sure you're really short of funds....

very jealous, if you can't tell...
Old 09/30/2003, 06:23 PM
Premium Member

Hey, just noticed i'm just a few short post till I get my custom avatar. Need to start tagin on some threads
Old 09/30/2003, 06:25 PM
Gold Coast

funny you mentioned weatherson, you and him are the two BIG tank threads I have been lurking in

Allow myself to introduce... myself.
Old 09/30/2003, 06:35 PM
Got that Anger!

I need more pics,and can i live in youre stand lol