Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Long Island Reef Association (LIRA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/04/2007, 10:51 AM
underfunded reefer

anyone have "tubs blue" zoas??

i think this is what they're called...all i know is they're beautiful, anyone?

"Nemo me impune laccesit" - From Edinburgh Castle meaning "no one provokes me without punishment" (thanks to K for sparking that memory)
Old 11/05/2007, 01:26 PM
Registered Member

I have some, what do you think?
Old 11/05/2007, 01:34 PM
underfunded reefer

i'm looking specifically for the tub's....from exoticfrags...are they?

"Nemo me impune laccesit" - From Edinburgh Castle meaning "no one provokes me without punishment" (thanks to K for sparking that memory)
Old 11/05/2007, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

i don't think so, i don't remember where we ordered mine from, ill see if i can ask somebody where we got them.
Old 11/05/2007, 01:51 PM
Premium Member

I have a 9 polyp frag......... Tell me what you think.

Unfortunatley not for sale yet.

Old 11/05/2007, 01:57 PM
Registered Member

Nevermind we actually got them from a fellow reefer, those ones on exoticfrags look to have longer skirts than mine. I don't know there seem to be a few variations that people call tubs blues.. I think those ones on the site are the actual ones...I think mine are actually plums zoos or something like that.
Old 11/05/2007, 01:57 PM
underfunded reefer

i love them, from what i've read they are hardy and pretty fast growing...they also take on very shades of blue depending on the light...so same frag could easily give you different colors in the same tank

Old 11/05/2007, 04:48 PM
Registered Member

Axexpescado should have some check with him.
Old 11/05/2007, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

Check out this tread.Might be sold all readt though.
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/...zoas-sale.html
Old 11/06/2007, 01:30 AM
Registered Member

Thats the same zoo's that locke has in his tank. They came from that guy... ( I ordered ) lol
Old 11/08/2007, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

heres a better pic of my tubs blues that I believe I got from Axexpescado

Old 11/08/2007, 04:58 PM
underfunded reefer

do you have a frag for sale or are you just showing them off

Old 11/08/2007, 05:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by puckbs
do you have a frag for sale or are you just showing them off
Just showing them off Those are all the zooos I have at the moment, I just moved them to my 5.5g tank and they look so much brighter under the lighting so I figured I'd show that off. ;D
Old 11/10/2007, 12:15 AM
saru mo ki kara ochiru

Brad,
Don't kill yourself over them. Not many people are capable of keeping a large colony due to them not accepting strong light and since they like the shaded areas, they don't grow fast. So whoever has them will charge you out your hinee hole for them.

Point being, don't impulse buy them. I know a lot of guys with them, if I get them, you'll get them.

Otherwise, buy everything else you want, save these for when the time is right. Obviously now is not the time to buy them. Plus, you always pay more when the weather gets cooler.

I'll see what I can do for you.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
B.B.
Old 11/10/2007, 02:24 AM
Registered Member

Mine are growing somewhat quick it seems, and they're not in the shade..
Old 11/10/2007, 10:55 AM
underfunded reefer

Bill, you are the mack daddy. How are ya by the way? its been a while. Do you still have that beautiful zoa garden? i'd love to come frag shopping...lol Thanks for the info! i was considering them as a bday present to myself...lol

Old 11/10/2007, 01:12 PM
saru mo ki kara ochiru

Brad,
I'm good bro. Been freaking real busy with work. I even had to stop doing admin work for ZoaID because of it.

Zoa garden has shrunk, but I am back on track with it now. I am going to try and pull some favors with some friends to see if I can get some of my old and new corals.

imlocke,
That is unusual. Blue zoas do not typically grow quick, ever. It doesn't means yours aren't, but what do you define as "quick"?

Also, if you acquired them recently, that could explain the quick growth. Corals (especially softies) sometimes divide upon entering a new system. They usually slow down after a month or so. Good luck either way.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
B.B.
Old 11/10/2007, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

Hm maybe thats what it is i've had them for about 2-3 months and they've about tripled in number I think. Recently I switched their tanks and they grew a few more polyps but maybe those are because of the move. I'll see how they do in a few weeks then.
Old 11/10/2007, 02:12 PM
saru mo ki kara ochiru

If you really want to see them take off, try target feeding them.

Now hear me out, this is not a fun thing. You need a small pipette and frozen enriched brine shrimp. You need to do this before the lights go out and with all the pumps off. Be prepared to get soreness and even a rash on the inside of your arm from it pressing against the upper rim of the tank... It sucks.

Carefully squeeze the pippette and drop the brine onto the oral disk of the zoa. do not move your hand around too much or the brine will get knocked off before the zoa has a chance to grab it. (Which can take up to a minute!)

Palythoas instantly grab the Brine. Some faster then others.

So, after you've got them taking the food in, quickly turn off the lights. Otherwise your fish will just pick the food out of the zoas mouths.

Bristle worms will come out of the wood work and there isn't much you can do about that.

You'll see explosive growth from your zoas if you just do this even once a week.

Saw my old PPE colony go from 4 to 20 in 2 months.

Just don't overdo it, you'll cause an algae bloom.

B.B.
Old 11/10/2007, 04:39 PM
underfunded reefer

now just to get some pipettes....thanks Bill

Old 11/10/2007, 06:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reef Junkie
If you really want to see them take off, try target feeding them.

Now hear me out, this is not a fun thing. You need a small pipette and frozen enriched brine shrimp. You need to do this before the lights go out and with all the pumps off. Be prepared to get soreness and even a rash on the inside of your arm from it pressing against the upper rim of the tank... It sucks.

Carefully squeeze the pippette and drop the brine onto the oral disk of the zoa. do not move your hand around too much or the brine will get knocked off before the zoa has a chance to grab it. (Which can take up to a minute!)

Palythoas instantly grab the Brine. Some faster then others.

So, after you've got them taking the food in, quickly turn off the lights. Otherwise your fish will just pick the food out of the zoas mouths.

Bristle worms will come out of the wood work and there isn't much you can do about that.

You'll see explosive growth from your zoas if you just do this even once a week.

Saw my old PPE colony go from 4 to 20 in 2 months.

Just don't overdo it, you'll cause an algae bloom.
Hm, well I don't have any fish or shrimp in the tank yet, its a rather newly cycled 5.5g with just a nassarius and blue legged hermit with a hammer and the tubs blues and of course cheato, and well...bristleworms too.
So I guess if I wanted to do it it wouldn't be too hard, its not hard to get into a 5.5g tank :P
Old 11/10/2007, 08:56 PM
How many is too many?

Hey Bill ill be coming to raid your "garden" too in a few months. I got my tank back into shape finally. I got a few frags from Pierce today. 2 green leathers and a blue acro.
Old 11/11/2007, 10:14 AM
Registered Member.

that makes 3 of us. i would like to raide the zoa garden to expand some as my tank is going to be zoa's 90% ricordea 5% other 5%
Old 11/11/2007, 11:10 AM
underfunded reefer

...Sorry Bill....lol

CHRIS!!! You're back??? good to hear....the 125? with all the eels?

Old 11/11/2007, 01:52 PM
How many is too many?

I have 4 eels in the 125. 2 snowflakes and 2 ribbon eels. In the cube i have 4 Dwarf Golden Morays that are quite happy. Im even building a coil reactor to battle my nitrates that are always high due to my big bio load. I still have a bunch of tangs that the ick outbreak didnt wipe out and other fish.