Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Am I that far out of touch w/ this place?
Yes, farther 5 62.50%
No, never were in touch 2 25.00%
And you are....? 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08/15/2006, 07:25 AM
Premium Member

Am I that far out?

Jeeze, ya know....

Has RC changed that much?
I try reading some of the threads in the specific forums that interest me, but frankly... I just get agitated every time. I haven't seen an interesting topic in months. Every thread out there is from someone too lazy or stupid to use the search feature (or bother to even read the thread posted below the one they just made!). Or else it's someone wanting a picture of something by a common name (never heard of a "ooh-wow-itsaJoeBlowcoolienses coral before?" - Ever hear of Google?), or some newbie showing off the new multi-hundred dollar cherry they bought from dealer XYZ.
Maybe someone should ask a question about which light bulb is best? Or, you could take a dead horse out back, shoot it a few times, run over it w/ the tractor, stick some dynamite in it, and post a thread about that?
I know, a poll about which salt everyone uses will produce some impirically trivial information! Maybe a DSB debate, haven't had one of those in a few days (see reference to search feature above).

Sigh... sorry to unload, but I'm begining to wonder why I take up the space in my favorites bar for this site some days.

Anyone else getting this way, too, or am I just taking it all a bit too seriously?

- Mac
Old 08/15/2006, 07:45 AM
Dino - Victim of Women

Waaaaaaaaaait a second, you almost talk like they let you out of the lounge once and a while

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 08/15/2006, 07:48 AM
Registered Member

why would you wanna shoot an already-dead horse? isn't that ummm...overkill?
Old 08/15/2006, 08:27 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dinoman
Waaaaaaaaaait a second, you almost talk like they let you out of the lounge once and a while
LOL! That's kinda what I'm noticing, the few times I travel outside these days.

- Mac
Old 08/15/2006, 09:18 AM
My Life for Aiur!

I hear you ReeferMac. I don't mind helping the new person out. And I generally like to help those with unique questions or are being seriously misguided. Occassionally the blind lead the blind in the New to the Hobby forum, if you know what I mean.

I do miss the days of inventive ideas, philosophical methods, in depth conversation, etc. Now, the only thing that is really worth while are tank build logs, but they are clogging up the forums so bad, you have to look through many pages in order to find a decent thread that isn't a tank log.

Don't get me wrong, I like them. I have quite a few. But I would love to see a place to organize all of them. And yes, I voted for a new forum in the Feedback and Questions forum. I would also like to see a forum for all the "Show me your _____" threads. It's nice to see many pictures of one item to get a better idea of it, but when you couple the "Show Me" threads with the "Tank Log" threads, it makes the task of finding someone genuine to help daunting, repetitive, painful, and at the very least redundent.

I guess if you are too far out of touch with RC, ReferMac, I am close behind you.
Old 08/15/2006, 09:21 AM
Registered Member

I'll normally just ask a tank question in here, instead of wondering out there alone, to have somebody that has had a tank for only 2 days tell me stories of hair algae... shoooot, I can tell them a story bout' hair algae ... Don't you just love those little ol' ladies in that commercial for the credit card fraud ???

Christy...

so...what are you wearing...?

panties...?

lace panties...?

that's what I'm wearing - ScubaDave and the telemarketer...

Life can be short, just like me... Live it to the fullest!!! Family is always there for you NO matter what, just like a "true friend" would be... A cheat is a cheat, and are always busted...
Old 08/15/2006, 09:31 AM
My Life for Aiur!

Or the old ladies in Hell with Snoop Dogg for that Orbits Chewing Gum commercial.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...noop+gum&hl=en
Old 08/15/2006, 09:33 AM
Registered Member

Mr. Mac, Please remember that there are persons, I know it is hard to believe, that are just finding out about RC, like myself. We do not yet understand all of the intricacies of prying the knowledge out of legendary posters such as yourself.
There are a lot of times when the amount of information presented is totally overwhelming to us newbies and we are forced to ask a "stupid" questions that you yourself must have asked 5 or 6 years ago. I understand that it is hard to sit up on your huge knowledge base dispensing tidbits to us masses.
I will look forward to your next thread you start to enlighten us.
Old 08/15/2006, 09:39 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis L. Stevens
Or the old ladies in Hell with Snoop Dogg for that Orbits Chewing Gum commercial.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...noop+gum&hl=en

Why yessshhh, I like that one tooo... But you know the one that I like is waaay funnier than the one you like ...

Christy...

so...what are you wearing...?

panties...?

lace panties...?

that's what I'm wearing - ScubaDave and the telemarketer...

Life can be short, just like me... Live it to the fullest!!! Family is always there for you NO matter what, just like a "true friend" would be... A cheat is a cheat, and are always busted...
Old 08/15/2006, 09:41 AM
My Life for Aiur!

Quote:
Originally posted by newtophish
Mr. Mac, Please remember that there are persons, I know it is hard to believe, that are just finding out about RC, like myself. We do not yet understand all of the intricacies of prying the knowledge out of legendary posters such as yourself.
There are a lot of times when the amount of information presented is totally overwhelming to us newbies and we are forced to ask a "stupid" questions that you yourself must have asked 5 or 6 years ago. I understand that it is hard to sit up on your huge knowledge base dispensing tidbits to us masses.
That's understandable, and you can usually tell a genuine cry for help from a lazy poster. I also realize that the search engine is a bit of a hinderance to most, but there are many ways of searching. And as advice from a reefer that is quite knowledgable (yes, I'm making a crack at myself ) to a new reefer, ALWAYS double check what answers you get to your questions. Google is your friend when you are first beginning. A lot of times, average aquarists like myself and others can only get as close to a Genus as possible when Identifying something. When you get an answer, don't take it as gospel. Look up a google image search. Read some books. Look up well known sites such as the Australian Institute of Marine Science. Things like that.
Old 08/15/2006, 09:42 AM
My Life for Aiur!

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBimbo
Why yessshhh, I like that one tooo... But you know the one that I like is waaay funnier than the one you like ...

Christy...
Mine is corny-funny. Not funny-funny.
Old 08/15/2006, 09:45 AM
My Life for Aiur!

Newt-o-phish

Also, always feel free to PM someone you think is reputable. If they cannot answer your question to the fullest, they usually tell you what they know and point you to more sources. Or if they don't know at all, they usually can direct you to someone who does know.

I'm in a goofy mood. I know it's "New to Fish" not "Newt o' Fish".
Old 08/15/2006, 12:10 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by newtophish

Don't you need 100 posts before you can post in the lounge?

Ya know mate, it's this holier-than-thou BS from every newbie out there that is exactly I'm talking about. You prolly want a bibliography w/ every post too? Do you ask someone that's been doing this for more years than you have fish to explain every statement? Make your mechanic tell you why the transmission needs replacing? Sigh..... You think I wake up every day craving a chance to elucidate some newbie? Yeah, that's it, thats why I come here. Nothing better to do than frustrate myself over other people's laziness.

HOW 'BOUT YOU PICK UP A BOOK AND READ IT!
Maybe hit the search engine BEFORE posting your question. Do ya think, perhaps, maybe, there's an outside chance, that ONE other person might not have understood "issue x" the first time? No, of course not, you and your situation are unique in this world, and nobody could have possibly ever been confounded by such complex information.

If there was a grain of wheat in the mountain of chaff, you'd have an argument, is the point.

Something I learned a long time ago, that may aid you in life, is to learn when to sit back, shut up, and listen. You'll be in these shoe's too some day.

- Mac
Old 08/15/2006, 12:13 PM
Premium Member

You see, that's the whole point that's frustrating me. As Travis pointed out before the thread got ugly, there used to be civil conversation about new and exciting topics and research. You used to be able to disagree w/ someone, or post a thought or opinion, w/o some jerkoff jumping in your wheaties and giving you grief because they're frustrated and too lazy to research something that's giving them a problem.

How rude this place has become.... I _thought_ people were coming looking for help? I usually try not to **** people off when I need something from them. Shrug, guess I was raised different? My bad.

I think it's time this old salt punches out.

- Mac
Old 08/15/2006, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

IBTL
Old 08/15/2006, 03:07 PM
Moved On

Have a drink on me, ReeferMac.
Old 08/15/2006, 03:10 PM
RC Mod

Well, this took a rather ugly turn

"You guys confuse me...." ~ mhurley

"So does Sesame Street." ~ BrianD