Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Connecticut Area Reef Society (C.T.A.R.S.)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/17/2007, 11:48 AM
saru mo ki kara ochiru

Looks like the pox.
Have you cleaned/maintained your equipment lately?

Follow the directions for treating the zoa pox at ZoaID.com

Cheers!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
B.B.
Old 12/17/2007, 12:35 PM
Registered Member

yes, and hopefully that didn't cause this

i recently (within the past month) cleaned out all four mj's (inc the one to my skimmer), my mag 5, syphoned out detritus from the intake on my sump/fuge.

i do the mj's every couple months, the sump and mag 5 were 6 months since doing.
Old 12/17/2007, 03:11 PM
saru mo ki kara ochiru

Have you cleaned your heaters?
Are they providing enough heat for your animals at night?

If you have a second set of clean heaters, try swapping out the old ones and put in the standbys. Then soak the old ones in white vinegar overnight and clean the next day.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
B.B.
Old 12/17/2007, 03:36 PM
Registered Member

I have a 5mo 300w heater in the tank, and a year old 100w heater in the sump. the water temp stays steady (surprisingly) at ~80 deg. i used to have digital thermometers but the darn suction cups kept on coming out. so now i havea standard thermometer.

as for cleaning the heaters, i've never seen the need to. I'll see if they are dirty, but other than a small amount of coralline on the 300 the body is clear. the 100 is in the sump and doesn't seem to have anything on it.
Old 12/17/2007, 03:43 PM
saru mo ki kara ochiru

Not that it's the problem, but a little coralline can help insulate the heater and trick it into thinking it's warmer then it is.

Thermometers are good, but your tanks temperature gets it's coldest in the middle of the night when you aren't watching it.

I'd just do a little maint on all of your equipment.

It's hard to say if it is in fact the pox, it does show some signs of being the pox. Double check for predators or irritants. ie. Nudi's, snails, worms, Hydroids, aiptasia...

Also try doing some water changes, that has shown to help. Just get the temp right before adding the new water.

B.B.
Old 12/17/2007, 04:00 PM
Registered Member

thanks for your help btw

after looking at all the pics on what pox can look like, i honestly thnk i have it on this colony and a pink colony (proably came from the pink).

I've also been told that i have "sticky cyano" on the zoos, so i'm going to QT all my zoos once i get some furan-2 and hit it with some chemiclean as well.

luckily most of my zoos are on smallish rocks or frag plugs so treating them all won't be a problem (unless i shouldnt).
Old 12/17/2007, 04:06 PM
saru mo ki kara ochiru

I would probably just treat them with the rocks. The stress of pulling them off the rocks then treating them would probably kill them.

FYI, most Pink Zoanthinds I have seen are in the Palythoa family. They do not usually get the pox.

B.B.
Old 12/18/2007, 12:34 AM
Registered Member

little tired, but wanted to check my tank temp. its 63 room temp, and 79 tank temp. with an open top, i can just imagine the electricity running, and realize why now i'm losing 2 gal/day evap instead of just the normal 1 gpd.

the other thing keeping me up is i was making platforms in my QT out of eggcrate so i can get my zoos up as close to the light as possible. I'm going to power it with those spiral compact flourescent spot light bulbs and see how they do.

i even made an intank fuge hehe.

That tank's water temp needs to come up pretty much, so i didn't put anything in it.
Old 12/19/2007, 06:58 PM
Registered Member

here's my QT, modded to be a hospital tank for my zoos.

this is without a flash...

Old 12/20/2007, 09:15 AM
saru mo ki kara ochiru

Looking good!

B.B.
Old 12/20/2007, 09:27 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reef Junkie
Looking good!
i have standard pc's in my tank, i think the zoos are a little light shy because this setup is truly brighter than my DT. either that or the dip ticked them off quite nicely, because half were not open this morning. i didn't see any change in the "pox" this morning though.

i got the yellow powder furan 2, not the green stuff, hopefully its the same like suggested on that big thread.
Old 12/20/2007, 09:09 PM
Registered Member

hmm, treatment two and nothing seems to be happening with the "pox"... i'm wondering if this was the right thing to do
Old 12/21/2007, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

maybe found the problem...pulled an asterina off a polyp...