Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/26/2007, 07:02 PM
Actiniaria Addict

Re: Furan - 2

Quote:
Originally posted by SoonerReefer
I am unable to find Furan-2 in my local fish store, I also tried Petco and Petsmart and they do not have any. I need to treat my zoas asap.

Lori
If you have the chain store "Pet Supermarket" in your area, I have purchased Furan 2 there. It's double the price of buying it online but once you figure in shipping costs, it is probably cheaper.

-Sonja
Old 08/28/2007, 10:15 PM
Registered Member

Ok i dipped my infected rock in DI w/ph buffer, 2 drops of lugols and 1 cap of furan-2 to treat for zoo pox, left them in the airated bucket for 20minutes. Now my zoos look like they are shedding? maybe even dissolving, some of them are open fully and some open halfway most of them have the sheeding/dissolving look. did i over do it? wil they recover?

The treatment on Zoa ID says to go for 15-20 minutes and treat 3 days in a row, but im not touchin them till i see signs of full recovery from the dip...

any suggestions are appreciated
Old 08/29/2007, 01:59 AM
grouchy hermit

Some of my infected zoos were too far gone and dissolved exactly like you described after dipping. The less affected recovered well and did well afterwards. Hope yours recover quickly.

Spleen
Old 09/13/2007, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

I tried the Furanase, followed the instructions on zoaid. By day 3 most of my zoos had dissolved. I treated 3 groups which had about 15-20 zoos a piece. I now have 10 zoos left, total.
However, What's left looks really good. It did take a few weeks for them to come around.
Looking back I think the 15 mins is to long. I wouldn't dip them for more then 5 mins and give them at least 2-3 days in between treating with Furanase. Maybe even more time in between the dipping. The Furanase seems really harsh on the zoos.
I am guessing that the Furanase basically burns off or dissolves the outer layer of the zoo. Sort of what retin-a does for the zits on your face.
Old 10/01/2007, 02:08 PM
Registered Member

dont dip them in lugol...ONLY furan 2
Old 10/01/2007, 05:03 PM
Actiniaria Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by sjfishguy
Also, has anyone noticed Furan2 is different now than it was a month or two ago. Its a packet instead of a pill that turns the water yellow instead of green? I wonder if it will still work as well.
Fish (and maybe other pet) medications are moving to different packaging because of human use of the products, both accidental and intentional. Supposedly there will be no more capsules or tablets, just loose powders and liquids.

I don't know if Furanase is the same exact formulation as Furan2, I still have Furan2 capsules I'm using. I hope it hasn't been changed so much that it no longer works on zoa pox, that would be so frustrating if we finally found a working treatment but it is no longer available.

-Sonja
Old 10/03/2007, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

The new Furan 2 in the packets seems to work just as good as the old for me. Just make sure to use fresh water as your dip with the medication. After months I think the pox are finally gone. But, now that I am writing this I will probably notice more tomorrow.
Old 10/03/2007, 07:34 PM
Actiniaria Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by sjfishguy
The new Furan 2 in the packets seems to work just as good as the old for me. Just make sure to use fresh water as your dip with the medication. After months I think the pox are finally gone. But, now that I am writing this I will probably notice more tomorrow.
Cool, very glad to hear it. Thanks!

-Sonja
Old 10/14/2007, 06:33 PM
Registered Member

Hey there,

my 75 gallon tank is a few weeks old, Ammonia, Nitrtrite at 0, Nitrate sitting at about 5.0. I've got some xenia, mushrooms, feather duster and soft corals, which are all doing great, and I have a bunch of patches of zoas that I purchased aobut 2-3 weeks ago. They are spreading and opening up nicely, but It seems there are a growing number of white spots showing up all over the inside part of the round part of the heads. They aren't bumpy or extruded, and the zoas seems otherwise pretty ehalthy. Coudl this be caused by calcium, pr something else?

Cheers,
Phil.
Old 11/09/2007, 02:10 AM
Registered Member

Here in Australia LFS dont know what furan 2 is, having read this whole thread though, i believe it was Mucho Reef who had success with leaving infected zoos out of water for 5hrs and also by blasting them with a powerhead (increased flow). Is anyone else trying these approaches?

My last question im wondering how common this is? ive checked the Australian Reef Keeping forums and no here has posted about Zoo Pox before.
Old 11/09/2007, 01:44 PM
saru mo ki kara ochiru

It seems to be more common in temperate areas.
North America has a lot of those...

I've used the out of water technique, but I didn't have much luck with it.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
B.B.
Old 11/17/2007, 03:01 PM
Registered Member

I've got POX! Looks like I have to wait until Mon. to do anything about it though. My is also only affecting zoos, the main colony affected has about ten paly in the middle, open and happy but all the zoos are closed up and pox covered. I did do my regular water change yesterday and dipped w. reef dip because I hadn't found this thread yet. I'm sure I've had this on these zoos before and they recovered but they look pretty bad now, they did just get moved around a lot and getting more light now. Hopefully it isn't too late to treat them.
Old 11/27/2007, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

dont even bother with other method of dipping the zoa....just use FURAN 2. It works !!!
Old 12/01/2007, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

Seems like some talk at the start of this article suggests that they are a seasonal problem. Anyone know if they will go away on their own with time?
Old 12/04/2007, 11:40 AM
saru mo ki kara ochiru

Sometimes.

Usually one of two scenarios occur...
1. They survive the outbreak and come back months later. (not very common)
2. They all succumb to the outbreak and die.

We're just now starting to get some cold weather here on Long Island NY and sure enough, I have 3 colonies that have the pox. I am raising the temperature by adding heaters, but will probably have to dip to save them.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
B.B.
Old 12/05/2007, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

So are the cause by purely a drop in temp?
Old 12/12/2007, 07:41 PM
saru mo ki kara ochiru

Not completely sure, but temp drop seems to play some part in the onset of the pox.

B.B.
Old 12/19/2007, 06:40 PM
Registered Member

confused a tad...from the article:

Quote:
Instructions (as per the manufacture):
Use one capsule for every 10 gallons of aquarium water
Wait 24 hours and repeat dose
Wait another 24 hours and make a 25% water change
Repeat this treatment for a second time for a total of 4 doses of Furan-2
Make a final 25% water change and add fresh activated carbon
Repeat if necessary
I'm assuming this is there just for those that want to treat the full tank, or the instructions are there just because someone did a disclaimer?

Quote:
Ingredients:
Each capsule of Furan-2 contains:
60mg Nitrofurazone
25mg Furazolidone
2mg Methylene Blue Trihydrate
EHh, not all thant important, probably a cut/paste thing

Quote:
Additional requirements for treatment:
1 cup of RO water
1 capsule of Furan
1 extra cup of Aquarium Water (this is used to wash the Zoanthids after the treatment and before they are put back into your Aquarium; I do this because I don't want to risk Furan killing any of my fish or other corals).*

Is this what we're supposed to be working with? I assume you can make 2 cups of water and 2 furan?

Quote:
Do 3 treatments in a row then let it rest for 4-7 days; depending on the condition of your Zoanthids. If the ZoaPox is still on the Zoanthids then continue with another three treatments. But make sure you let it rest 4-7 days after every 3 treatments.
is this supposed to be three treatments over three days, or three treatments in one day?

thanks all. I've gone back 3-4 pages and seems there's no definite answer
Old 12/19/2007, 06:46 PM
Registered Member

I know, it is confusing. The way I do it and it works best is a capsule/packet of Furan 2 dumped into a few cups of RO water. Let the zoos sit in the water for 20 mins. Repeat this once a day for 3 days. Usually this is all you need. If they are not cured after 3 daily treatments, wait a week from the last treatment and do it again.

Originally I did the whole treatment with saltwater as I thought there is no way they meant freshwater dips of 20 minutes. Then I figued out (my questions MANY pages back) that it was indeed RO water.
Old 12/19/2007, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

ok, hopefully 2 packs in 2 cups of RO water (heated in microwave) won't hurt em. I just put all my frags in, and will be doing my colonies next.

here's the colony i KNOW has pox, but i'm going to do them all just in case:

Old 12/21/2007, 07:31 AM
Registered Member

two treatments later, and nothing seems to be happening, other than my coralline is all bleaching from being n fresh water... any ideas? i'm using two packs in 2 cups of water to cover the corals. it is the yellow powder, not the green pill, is that an issue?
Old 12/22/2007, 01:21 AM
grouchy hermit

You're sure it's pox?

Spleen
Old 12/22/2007, 06:20 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spleen93
You're sure it's pox?

Spleen
actually, i found an asterina eating one of my zoos, so now i'm thinking it's more starfish bites than pox.

check it out

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1276714
Old 12/23/2007, 03:12 PM
grouchy hermit

Wow ... so you may have found the source of your problem. Congrats!

Spleen