Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping

Old 03/21/2007, 03:47 PM
Registered Member

Please define 'REAL science'.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03/21/2007, 05:04 PM
I hug trees, not Bushes

Quote:
Originally posted by Mogrash
Please define 'REAL science'.

Thanks in advance.
You're a scientist, why don't you tell us?

Anyway, it's not an easily answered question, depending on how deep you want to go. But, I will point out the difference between the peer reviewed science that the IPCC relies on, what I'll call "real" science, and what think tanks do. Real science is where you have a hypothesis, design a way to test the hypothesis, collect data, and interpret the data. Then other scientists review it to hopefully find mistakes. Think tanks (GW think tanks, anyway) don't do this. At best they take real science and twist it or tell half truths; at worst they simply say things that aren't true. Think tanks never do original research, and the article posted is the same thing. They have actual peer reviewed articles that they "discuss" to fit a preconceived end. Now, if they funded legitimate research and allowed it to be peer reviewed and it showed AGW to be false, then I would be interested. That hasn't happened yet. Think tanks trick people into thinking that it is "real" science, because PhD's have their name on it and sometimes they cite sources. Often times the citation is of another "scientific study" that turns out to be another think tank. It's a big merry-go-round of junk.

All statements have been peer reviewed.
Old 03/21/2007, 05:27 PM
I think I love my tank

Quote:
Originally posted by scottras

Due to who's predictions? I have never seen anything that says the world will end in ten years. Thats the trouble with misinformation, you never know who starts it for what reason.

Willy Lowman said so, "within as little as 10 years"
http://thinkprogress.org/gore-nyu

Quote:

So you just have a problem with charity?
I said I DON'T have any problem with charity, as long as it's done for the right reasons. Giving out of guilt, fear or duty is not charity.

Quote:

I have no problem with whatever motivates people to help one another.
That's a real shame you feel that way. I think guilt is actually a very selfish motivator. If you give a bum change because it helps aswage your guilt who are you really trying to help? That bum has just become a tool to make yourself feel better. Kind of ironic, isn't it?
Longnose Hawkfish
Magnificent Rabbitfish
Diamond Goby
Blond Naso Tang
Bluechin Trigger

I got the poo on me.

Last edited by virginiadiver69; 03/21/2007 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03/21/2007, 05:45 PM
I think I love my tank

Quote:
In fact on the weekend I managed to reduce my constant energy consumption by 20W.
I have a group of four 75W bulbs over the wet bar in my den. One has been burned out for about two weeks now and I have not replaced it yet. If I let it be and don't replace it will that make me an environmentalist? I mean...that's 75W right there!
Where can I buy carbon credits?
Longnose Hawkfish
Magnificent Rabbitfish
Diamond Goby
Blond Naso Tang
Bluechin Trigger

I got the poo on me.
Old 03/21/2007, 05:49 PM
I think I love my tank

Quote:
Originally posted by HippieSmell
Uh, if your electricity comes from a wind farm or solar panels, your tank will be powered by wind farms and solar panels. Lol, shocking, I know.

Does YOURS ?
Longnose Hawkfish
Magnificent Rabbitfish
Diamond Goby
Blond Naso Tang
Bluechin Trigger

I got the poo on me.
Old 03/21/2007, 06:00 PM
I think I love my tank

Quote:
Originally posted by Rossini

By the way all my electricty comes from Wind farms its a deal set up with my electricty supplier N Power.

If that is the truth than you are a stand out. You are the ONLY one I have come across that actually walks the walk. We could probably have wind farms here but our elected heroes don't like to have there view of Nantucket Bay obscured(ted kennedy).

Oh, almost forgot to ask, how is the energy created by the wind farms stored? Batteries? Generators?
Longnose Hawkfish
Magnificent Rabbitfish
Diamond Goby
Blond Naso Tang
Bluechin Trigger

I got the poo on me.
Old 03/21/2007, 06:02 PM
I think I love my tank

Ninong, what form of "green energy" do you use to power your reef?
scottras, I would ask you but your on the "10 year plan"
Longnose Hawkfish
Magnificent Rabbitfish
Diamond Goby
Blond Naso Tang
Bluechin Trigger

I got the poo on me.
Old 03/21/2007, 06:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by virginiadiver69
Willy Lowman said so, "within as little as 10 years"
http://thinkprogress.org/gore-nyu

I said I DON'T have any problem with charity, as long as it's done for the right reasons. Giving out of guilt, fear or duty is not charity.

That's a real shame you feel that way. I think guilt is actually a very selfish motivator. If you give a bum change because it helps aswage your guilt who are you really trying to help? That bum has just become a tool to make yourself feel better. Kind of ironic, isn't it?
Interesting article, thank you for that. I have read about the positive feedback loops regarding the methane in the tundra, however I had not heard about them thawing any time soon. I may have to upgrade my plan a bit. We have state and federal elections happening soon so hopefully I can make a difference there.

Well actually it is. Your definition of charity does not match any that I have seen. Maybe you should look it up in the dictionary.

I do feel that way. While it may not be the best form of charity, it still helps. ie, if you give a homeless person money because you feel guilty, it may not be the best reason to give. However that does not change the fact that he/she can use that money to eat or drink. Sorry but if I was starving on the street, I wouldn't care why someone gave me money if it meant I could have something to eat.

Also calling a homeless person a "bum" is degrading.
Old 03/21/2007, 06:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I have a group of four 75W bulbs over the wet bar in my den. One has been burned out for about two weeks now and I have not replaced it yet. If I let it be and don't replace it will that make me an environmentalist? I mean...that's 75W right there!
Where can I buy carbon credits?
Well that depends: if you have not changed it because you are lazy, then you are not an environmentalist. If you have not changed it because you feel that using 300W to light a bar might be excessive, then maybe there is hope for you yet.

I have used energy efficient bulbs wherever I can. I try to make all things in the house more efficient. We have only owned it for around 6 months so it takes a while. If I save 20W from my reef tank it is because i have already done the most obvious things to save energy without compromising the health of the inhabitants. 20W might not sound like much, but if I have already saved hunfred of watts elswhere then it may sound a little better.
Old 03/21/2007, 06:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

Oh, almost forgot to ask, how is the energy created by the wind farms stored? Batteries? Generators?
It is usually sent straight into the grid, so that less power is created from the main power station. At least that is the case here.
Old 03/21/2007, 07:09 PM
I think I love my tank

Quote:
Well that depends: if you have not changed it because you are lazy, then you are not an environmentalist. If you have not changed it because you feel that using 300W to light a bar might be excessive, then maybe there is hope for you yet.

I thought motivation did not matter. Your oppinion when it comes to charity is it's the OUTCOME that is important. Do you you think the earth cares weather it was out of lazyness?
WOW! The hypocracy is getting deep!
Longnose Hawkfish
Magnificent Rabbitfish
Diamond Goby
Blond Naso Tang
Bluechin Trigger

I got the poo on me.
Old 03/21/2007, 07:12 PM
I think I love my tank

Quote:
If you have not changed it because you feel that using 300W to light a bar might be excessive, then maybe there is hope for you yet.

How much wattage do you use to light your fish tank?
Longnose Hawkfish
Magnificent Rabbitfish
Diamond Goby
Blond Naso Tang
Bluechin Trigger

I got the poo on me.
Old 03/21/2007, 07:17 PM
I think I love my tank

Quote:

This was addressed to Rossini, not you. He said he is 100% dependent on wind supplied energy. The scenario you describe sounds a little dubious.
Longnose Hawkfish
Magnificent Rabbitfish
Diamond Goby
Blond Naso Tang
Bluechin Trigger

I got the poo on me.
Old 03/21/2007, 07:23 PM
I think I love my tank

Quote:
Originally posted by Ninong
If you have thoughts or opinions, chime right in. However, if it is to subscribe only, it is more polite to do it the other way, so people like me come running back to the thread for information won't be disappointed with two "tagging" posts in a row.

I must agree on this one yrema, These people are busy saving the world. They can't be bothered.
Longnose Hawkfish
Magnificent Rabbitfish
Diamond Goby
Blond Naso Tang
Bluechin Trigger

I got the poo on me.
Old 03/21/2007, 07:28 PM
I think I love my tank

Quote:
I have used energy efficient bulbs wherever I can. I try to make all things in the house more efficient. We have only owned it for around 6 months so it takes a while.
How long does it take to buy efficient bulbs? You say you used energy efficient bulbs "wherever you can", Does this mean there are places were you can not? Or is that on your 10 yr plan also?
Longnose Hawkfish
Magnificent Rabbitfish
Diamond Goby
Blond Naso Tang
Bluechin Trigger

I got the poo on me.
Old 03/21/2007, 07:34 PM
Hawks Rule!

Quote:
Al Gore lights it for him with magic candles.

Anyone crying about global warming that has a reef tank; defines the word hypocrite.

Sandbeds operate like wormholes and the excess nutrients and detritus are transported to a sister galaxy - Bomber

12-7-41 & 9-11-01 Never Forget!
Old 03/21/2007, 08:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I thought motivation did not matter. Your oppinion when it comes to charity is it's the OUTCOME that is important. Do you you think the earth cares weather it was out of lazyness?
WOW! The hypocracy is getting deep!
I think you have to cool down a little. Maybe you might take the time to read your posts too, I think that might help. You asked:

Quote:
I have a group of four 75W bulbs over the wet bar in my den. One has been burned out for about two weeks now and I have not replaced it yet. If I let it be and don't replace it will that make me an environmentalist?
I thought you were asking if by your actions you were an environmentalist. Is that what you were asking? or were you asking if by not replacing the 75w bulb you were helping the environment. Two very different questions. I answered the first.
Old 03/21/2007, 08:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
300W. Does that help?
Old 03/21/2007, 08:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
This was addressed to Rossini, not you. He said he is 100% dependent on wind supplied energy. The scenario you describe sounds a little dubious.
My apologies, I thought you were asking a general question. The scenario I described is not dubious. It is even the plan I have for my house.
Old 03/21/2007, 08:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
How long does it take to buy efficient bulbs? You say you used energy efficient bulbs "wherever you can", Does this mean there are places were you can not? Or is that on your 10 yr plan also?
All done mate where possible the first week. In fact we received most of the globes free from our power company. "Where we can" refers to some lights that energy efficient globes do not fit into. I hope to replace these soon. You can make fun of my plan all you want to. But at least I have a plan. At least I am trying to do some good. If I had my way I would get there within a year, however my finances do not stretch that far yet.
Old 03/21/2007, 08:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Aquaticman74
Al Gore lights it for him with magic candles.

Anyone crying about global warming that has a reef tank; defines the word hypocrite.
Not quite. But I can if you like.

1. a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, esp. a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
2. a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, esp. one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

Hope that helps. Maybe some day you might have something useful to say.
Old 03/21/2007, 08:23 PM
Premium Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Interesting Commentary on Global Warming

Quote:
Originally posted by wlagarde
HippieSmell - My comment was made simply to highlight the hypocrisy of the green crowd. They are willing to impose their beliefs on everyone BUT themselves unless it fits with their lifestyle. This is congruent with the way the democratic politicians are generous with everyone else's money BUT their own.
And I again reiterate - Ahhhhhh the hypocrisy of the green crowd. They are willing to impose their beliefs on everyone BUT themselves unless it fits with their lifestyle. This is congruent with the way the democratic politicians are generous with everyone else's money BUT their own.
Old 03/21/2007, 09:18 PM
10 & Over Club

I think this thread has more than run it's course.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)