Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/13/2007, 12:04 AM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Yeah, the Aquasun has a lot of PAR. Shouldn't look a lot more blue than your current mix viewed from the aquablue side.
Old 12/13/2007, 12:46 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
A friend uses that setup over his 75 with very good results.

Front
UVL Super Actinic normally driven
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
ATI Pro Color
UVL Blue Plus
UVL Super Actinic normally driven

Hey Grim thanks for your help. I went to order today and Reefgeeks is out of the Blue Plus so they said the Giesemann Actinic Plus is about the same so I change it to that. Also they said I might have a little too much blue for my liking so they suggested this:

Front
UVL Super Actinic - normally driven
Giesemann Actinic Plus
ATI 12000K AquaBlue Special
ATI Pro Color
Giesemann Actinic Plus
UVL 100000K AquaSun - normally driven

Does this sound good? How about the order from front too back.

Thanks again.
Old 12/13/2007, 12:56 AM

Front
Super Actinic
Actinic plus
Pro Color
Aquablue
Aquasun (Or GE 6500K daylight)
Actinic Plus

Might as well overdrive the Aquasun to take advantage of the PAR but if you can get the GE lamp instead. The Aquasun has a lot of red compared to the GE. Combined with the Pro Color that might be a little too much red.
Old 12/13/2007, 02:58 AM
Premium Member

Is anyone else using 6 T5HO's non overdriven and feel it is too much light for their tank? Seems like 4 bulbs is plenty.

I'm currently running

front
blue plus
blue plus
aquablue special
pro color
super actinic
aquablue special

The tank is so bright it looks almost super white blown out. I know par isn't based on appearance, but it still is very very bright.

My tank is only 16 inches high and my lights are in my canopy sitting about 4.5 inches above the top of the tank.

I'm currently just running 2 bulbs 10 hours a day and putting another 2 1 hour a day increasing 15 minutes every other day. Once the 2nd set of bulbs get to about 8 hours I'm going to start the last 2 bulbs on timers increasing 15 minutes a day as well.

When I first got the kit, I started out with 4 bulbs on 8 hours a day and the last 2 coming on about 2 hours a day and it seemed way too bright.

What do you all think? I have a mixed coral reef.
Old 12/13/2007, 09:27 AM
Premium Member

Question

And here's yet ANOTHER request for a recommendation...

I've got a 125 gallon running 6 T5's on two Icecap 660 ballasts, and need to replace the bulbs. I'm looking for a 14k look (or a bit bluer), and am probably going to be buying from Reefgeek.com. Based on the 80 watt bulbs listed on their site, I've configured 2 different options:

front
ATI Blue Plus
GE Daylight 3000k
ATI Blue Plus
ATI True Actinic 03
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue Special

or

front
Geismann Actinic Plus
Giesmann Pure Actinic
Giesmann Midday
Geismann Actinic Plus
ATI Aquablue
Geismann Actinic Plus

Which of those would be better (if either), or would there be a better combination of bulbs? How about the order I've got them in? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12/13/2007, 10:29 AM
Registered Member

Wow this has been informative. Thanks

I recently picked up a Tek T5 4X24 fixture un modified.

The wattage seems low for my 28 gallon 18" deep tank to keep any coral.

I want to keep a few hammers and mainly zoos with a crocea.

currently using:
Giessman super actic +
Giemman 600K
UV 10K
Giessman super actic +

Any reccomendations or problems with my setup?

Thanks
Old 12/13/2007, 10:41 AM
Premium Member

Cozen,

have any Full tank pics of your tank?
Old 12/13/2007, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

The Grim Reefer I currently have a 2x24 reefgeek retrofit on a 20L Zoas and softies tank. Aquablue and Blue plus.

I would like to have a clam do Need to add another 2x24
What bulb configurations?
Old 12/13/2007, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

Hey Grim and all, just another simple question. I have currently have a 29g display witha 10g sump. Im deciding on what fixture to buy for it. Ive decided on an AquaMedia Oceanlight T5 frixture. But what I cant decide on is if I should buy the 4 lamp (4x24HO) or the 6 lamp (6x24HO) fixture. I want to keep clams, large brain corals, and maybe a little sps, as well as low light stuff such as rics in my system. What fixture would work best? And what bulb configuraton would you use in that fixture?
Old 12/13/2007, 02:58 PM
Registered Member

I meant AquaMedic....sorry
Old 12/13/2007, 04:30 PM
Registered Member

I am thinking of getting the Sunlight Tek 8x54w for a 120G (4x2x2)

Would that be enough light or does it need to me retrofitted. SPS,Clams,LPS.

What color bulbs ti gove a Crisp white with a blue hue to make the corals stand out

Thanks
Old 12/13/2007, 10:34 PM
Registered Member

Grim, others

i'm from australia and we can't get the same bulbs. my choices are;

actinic

What would be a good 6 bulb combo for my 4x2x2?

What do the bulbs mentioned (ie blue plus) convert to australian bulbs? does blue plus = 20k?

thanks
Old 12/13/2007, 10:47 PM
Registered Member

Wow Grim - I applaud the effort of replying to all these posts. I've read through them but still can't figure out what to do. I've got a Tek 4x54w on a planted tank and wanted to know what size tank I could put these on for a reef tank? I was thinking a 90G.

Thanks!!
Old 12/13/2007, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cozen89
Is anyone else using 6 T5HO's non overdriven and feel it is too much light for their tank? Seems like 4 bulbs is plenty.

I'm currently running

front
blue plus
blue plus
aquablue special
pro color
super actinic
aquablue special

The tank is so bright it looks almost super white blown out. I know par isn't based on appearance, but it still is very very bright.

My tank is only 16 inches high and my lights are in my canopy sitting about 4.5 inches above the top of the tank.

I'm currently just running 2 bulbs 10 hours a day and putting another 2 1 hour a day increasing 15 minutes every other day. Once the 2nd set of bulbs get to about 8 hours I'm going to start the last 2 bulbs on timers increasing 15 minutes a day as well.

When I first got the kit, I started out with 4 bulbs on 8 hours a day and the last 2 coming on about 2 hours a day and it seemed way too bright.

What do you all think? I have a mixed coral reef.
16" tall, you can probably grow acros on tha sandbed with 4 lamps. You could turn or even remove some reflectors if you want to run the other two lamps without melting anything.
Old 12/13/2007, 11:44 PM
Registered Member

lighting suggestion?

Hi, could you suggest some T5 bulb combinations for my lighting? I currently have 3 150watt de metal halides(15000k, 14000k,15000k) and three T5's(actinic, blue+, blue+). I will be adding one more T5 which will give me four T5's. I have a mixed reef but I don't see the colors pop as I see in the reef photos in the forums. Bulb suggestions? Thank You in advance.
Old 12/13/2007, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 20 20
And here's yet ANOTHER request for a recommendation...

I've got a 125 gallon running 6 T5's on two Icecap 660 ballasts, and need to replace the bulbs. I'm looking for a 14k look (or a bit bluer), and am probably going to be buying from Reefgeek.com. Based on the 80 watt bulbs listed on their site, I've configured 2 different options:

front
ATI Blue Plus
GE Daylight 3000k
ATI Blue Plus
ATI True Actinic 03
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue Special

or

front
Geismann Actinic Plus
Giesmann Pure Actinic
Giesmann Midday
Geismann Actinic Plus
ATI Aquablue
Geismann Actinic Plus

Which of those would be better (if either), or would there be a better combination of bulbs? How about the order I've got them in? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Top one but move it in between the front blue plus and the 3000K lamp and put the aquablue where you have it.

Hell should have just done this to start

Front
ATI Blue Plus
ATI True Actinic 03
GE Daylight 3000k
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue Special
ATI Blue Plus
Old 12/14/2007, 12:19 AM
Registered Member

T5 Bulb Config - Calling Grim Reefer

Hi everyone and hopefully Grim Reefer,

I was referred here, and to the Grim Reefer, from some folks at DFWMAS.

I am planning a 135g tank (72x18x24) with Ice Cap retro fit T5's w/ ice cap electronic ballasts and individual reflectors. I will use 2 - 6 bulb kits 35" long each. I want a "blue" look to my tank and want to avoid the red, yellowish tint that some light configs give you. I want the flourescents to pop out not only when the actinics are on but also when the daylight bulbs are on as well.

I have invisioned this for the tank (oh boy, I'm giving away my top secret reef plans).

I will be keeping SPS, clams, zoo's and rics in this tank.

I may be in the same boat as 20 20...

This was my designed bulb config to gain the color I desire:

ATI True Actinic
UV Actinic White (12k)
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aqua Blue (14k)
ATI True Actinic
UV Actinic White (12k)

I planned to go with nothing below a 10k bulb... and as you can see am going to try 12k and above. Perhaps I understand that I may not have as high of growth rate as a 10k or even lower k bulb would give... but really color is more desired here. Plus I feel with 3 "daylight" bulbs used I am throwing "sunlight" at them in a form.

What do you think? Will this work for the corals I plan to hold? Any suggestions or have I nailed it on the head?

Also, I do want to keep some zoo's and rics... I won't burn them up with this light will I? It is possible to keep both with SPS?

Thank you, and thanks for having me in the community!!!

Last edited by FranktheTankTx; 12/14/2007 at 12:32 AM.
Old 12/14/2007, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by T3D
Wow this has been informative. Thanks

I recently picked up a Tek T5 4X24 fixture un modified.

The wattage seems low for my 28 gallon 18" deep tank to keep any coral.

I want to keep a few hammers and mainly zoos with a crocea.

currently using:
Giessman super actic +
Giemman 600K
UV 10K
Giessman super actic +

Any reccomendations or problems with my setup?

Thanks
Swap out one of the Super Actinics for an ATI blue plus. Nice jump in PAR and a better look.
Old 12/14/2007, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by razataz
The Grim Reefer I currently have a 2x24 reefgeek retrofit on a 20L Zoas and softies tank. Aquablue and Blue plus.

I would like to have a clam do Need to add another 2x24
What bulb configurations?
Yeah, get a Aquasun and another Blue Plus.
Old 12/14/2007, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Corndork2
Hey Grim and all, just another simple question. I have currently have a 29g display witha 10g sump. Im deciding on what fixture to buy for it. Ive decided on an AquaMedia Oceanlight T5 frixture. But what I cant decide on is if I should buy the 4 lamp (4x24HO) or the 6 lamp (6x24HO) fixture. I want to keep clams, large brain corals, and maybe a little sps, as well as low light stuff such as rics in my system. What fixture would work best? And what bulb configuraton would you use in that fixture?
Go 6 and be careful not to place higher light critters too low, those fixtures dont have individual reflectors.

For lamps try this

Front
Blue Plus
Super Actinic
Aquasun
Blue Plus
GE 6500K
Blue Plus
Old 12/14/2007, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Reef_Keeper
I am thinking of getting the Sunlight Tek 8x54w for a 120G (4x2x2)

Would that be enough light or does it need to me retrofitted. SPS,Clams,LPS.

What color bulbs ti gove a Crisp white with a blue hue to make the corals stand out

Thanks
That will be OK but get one of those fan arrays you can clamp on to the tank and set it on the back of the tank blowing across the fixture, it will give you some extra output.

Do this for lamps

Front
Blue Plus
Aquasun
Super Actinic
Blue Plus
Aquasun
Blue Plus
Aquablue
Blue Plus

It wont look as blue as you would think, the Aquablue is nearly white and the Aquasuns are a little orange so it evens out.
Old 12/14/2007, 12:43 AM
Registered Member

dont forget me grim. please
Old 12/14/2007, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by HiroPro
Wow Grim - I applaud the effort of replying to all these posts. I've read through them but still can't figure out what to do. I've got a Tek 4x54w on a planted tank and wanted to know what size tank I could put these on for a reef tank? I was thinking a 90G.

Thanks!!
Be a little weak for a 90 but will work as long as you stick to softies and LPS
Old 12/14/2007, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by snaza
dont forget me grim. please
I think I just responded to your PM
Old 12/14/2007, 01:00 AM

Re: lighting suggestion?

Quote:
Originally posted by lifeform
Hi, could you suggest some T5 bulb combinations for my lighting? I currently have 3 150watt de metal halides(15000k, 14000k,15000k) and three T5's(actinic, blue+, blue+). I will be adding one more T5 which will give me four T5's. I have a mixed reef but I don't see the colors pop as I see in the reef photos in the forums. Bulb suggestions? Thank You in advance.
Do another Blue Plus.