Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/26/2007, 03:41 PM
Registered Member

drilled or overflow?

Just trying to brainstorm for when we start on the 45 gal.. I want to build a stand for it but I know I need to work out my plumbing first.. I know drilled is supposed to be better but I have no idea how to do it myself.. I'd be afraid I'd break the tank.. I also don't know how much it would be to get the tank drilled.. Is an overflow a better option for my situation? Or is there just too much risk of it failing? I was also wanting to go with a closed loop system.. Can I do that with an overflow or is that for a drilled system only?
Old 11/26/2007, 04:00 PM
Patient Reefer

Drilled tanks are "typically" easier to work with, because you dont have problems with the overflow tube.
Closed loops have to have a drain hole drilled separate from the holes drilled for the "reef ready" overflow box, or separate overflow box.
Old 11/26/2007, 04:01 PM
Registered Member

Why does it have to have seperate holes drilled?
Old 11/26/2007, 04:46 PM
Underground Art Studio

If you used the water from your overflow none of your water would end up in the sump/refuge. With a tank that small, I really wouldn't go with a closed loop, just get a Tunze 6025 or 6045 and you're done. With the closed loop you'll need - like Mike said - I hole in the tank for the closed loop and then two others, one for your return and one for your overflow. It can be done and I've put more then three in small tanks but it does weaken the structure. In the long run you'd end up spending more $ trying to go with a closed loop. This is JMO . The best way to go is drilling the tank for the overflow and return - JMO again - very easy plumbing.
Old 11/26/2007, 04:57 PM
Registered Member

Well, I was thinking closed loop to minimize equipment actually inside the tank.. I used to have planted freshwater tanks and very much prefer the cleaner (for lack of a better word) look of no visible hardware.. Also for the fact that saltwater tanks need to minimize as much heat issues as possible.. Just basically to keep all equipment out of the tank and under the stand instead..
Old 11/26/2007, 05:54 PM
Premium Member

Here is a link to a closed loop system you can make very easy for an undrilled tank.Melves
You could hide the intake behide some rocks.Something to think about. good Luck.

http://www.melevsreef.com/closedloop.html
Old 11/26/2007, 06:02 PM
Registered Member

Awesome.. Thank you very much.. Maybe glue live rock rubble all over the pvc pipes..
Old 11/26/2007, 06:02 PM
Registered Member

best thing I ever did was drill my tank! Overflow boxes are sooo late 90s.

And the worst thing I did was skip the CL idea. Now I can't afford the tunze setup I want.
Old 11/26/2007, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

The tank is very easy to drill.

I have a bit that will drill a hole for a 3/4 inch bulk head. If you would like you can barrow the bit. If you want to take a drive I can drill it for you. I haven't cracked a tank..... yet.

do you want to drill the bottom? you need to check and see if it is tempered glass or not.

Roger

Don't keep track of how much money you spend on your system. You will enjoy it much more that way :-)
Old 11/26/2007, 06:19 PM
Registered Member

I have no idea if it's tempered glass or how to find out.. And I have no confidence in doing it myself.. = )

Would it be better to drill it in the bottom or in the back? I would prefer drilled for the line to the sump/fuge and back.. Could it be in the bottom going to the sump/ fuge and then in the back for the return? Maybe the hang on the back setup for the closed loop?
Old 11/26/2007, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

BTW Roger, did you get my pm about the corals?
Old 11/26/2007, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

It sould have a sticker on the bottom saying it. If it dosn't it normally isen't tempered. most tanks have tempered glass on the bottom but not always.

well if you drill the bottom for the drain then you would normally drill a second hole next to the one that is already their and put the return in that spot inside of your box that you would add.

as long as it is not tempered then yes you can drill the bottom. we can drill the back for the closed loop if that is what you want to do. It is a small tank for a closed loop but it can be done.

yes I got your pm for the corals I have not had time to mount them for you. I have been working everyday.

There are a couple of ways I can mount them. it will take upto a couple of weeks for then to attach to a rock. or I can rubberband them and they can attach in your tank what ever you want to do. If you want to rubberband them you can pick up anytime I am home. If you want to wait till they attach I will pm you when they do.

LMK

You can also take your tank to some LFS and they will drill it for you. Nobody around here will guarrenty the tank when they drill glass, but maybe a store near you will. I don't know.

I can drill it if you want LMK. that is if you want 3/4 inch bulkheads as that is the only bit I have. That is what I did in my system.

Roger

Roger

Don't keep track of how much money you spend on your system. You will enjoy it much more that way :-)
Old 11/26/2007, 10:47 PM
><O>Euro-Reef*R*C500 <O><

kittyikity i would also check out this forum for deals like what canadian reefer has for sale for 75 bucks its a 60 gallon that is already predrilled. lets say you sold your 45 for like 30 bucks it would only cost you 45 to get that setup.
by the time you bought all the materials to drill it and the pvc fittings that would probably come with that tank you would probably break even.

just a thought. ive seen people get free tanks on here and then by the time they buy all the other stuff to get it going. they probably would be better off just buying a complete used system. LOL

just a thought.
Old 11/26/2007, 11:19 PM
Registered Member

Roger: go ahead and mount them if you want.. I can't get them until I get paid again and that'll be a couple of weeks anyway..

Mark: Sounds good.. Know anybody that wants to buy an undrilled 45 gal? lol

Then I have to hope that he doesn't sell the tank before I can get the money..
Old 11/26/2007, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

KITTI

we might be able to make a trade for the corals and the 45gal tank you have. I am looking for a tank for an autotop off. That is a good size for it. I would trade you $35 in frags for it then you don't have to come up with the cash for the frags.

mark or dristen is right the bulkheads are not cheep after you drill the tank. I don't think it would break the drilling is really easy, but I agree that is a good deal.

LMK

I will start mounting the frags tonight or tommorrow.

Roger

Old 11/26/2007, 11:45 PM
Registered Member

I have a 45g with an external overflow. I wanted all the room I could get on the inside. The only draw back is not having a real clean look in the back.
Regards,
Doug
Old 11/27/2007, 12:12 AM
Registered Member

Roger: That sounds great.. I'm not sure what the regular size is for a 45 gal.. This one is 36L x 24H x 12W.. I don't think I'd be able to buy canadian reef's tank though.. Gotta start buying xmas presents for the kids.. Any future tanks I want are going to have to wait.. = D
Old 11/27/2007, 12:27 AM
Registered Member

what sounds good kitti the trade corals for tank?

Roger

Old 11/27/2007, 12:39 AM
Registered Member

Ok, so I guess I'll be going with an overflow system to the sump/fuge and the closed loop system on the back.. The closed loop system looks pretty simple to make.. And I know I can do the overflow system myself..