Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/30/2007, 01:10 AM
Registered Member

Whats the best T5 actinic bulb?

Hey guys. Im going to be using 2x250 watt 14k bulb(open for suggestions) and 2xT5 actinic. Ive heard Geissmans were good but does anyone have any suggestions based on experience? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 12/30/2007, 01:51 AM
Registered Member

no experience, but i believe the UVL super actinic has the highest output of the actinic bulbs by any mfg.
Old 12/30/2007, 01:55 AM
Registered Member

UVL super actinic
Old 12/30/2007, 09:42 AM
Premium Member

^^^ UVL Super Actinic
Mag 1300
Nitrate .8 (Hanna Test)
PO4 .01
Old 12/30/2007, 10:03 AM
Premium Member

I like the ATI Blue Plus over the UVL Super Actinic.

I run both in my set up and the Blue Plus are a more bright blue than the Super Actinic which is a darker blue.

Here's a link to the T-5 PAR thread.

The Blue plus PAR = 311
The Super Actinic PAR = 210

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=918935
Old 12/30/2007, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

Is the ATI Blue Plus a pure actinic bulb or is it a mixture bulb? Im looking for supplemental lighting for my 250 Hamiltons. How about the UVL superactinic? Is it a pure actinic or a mixture?
Old 12/30/2007, 10:54 AM
Premium Member

to the best of my knowledge both are true actinics.

Follow the thread above and ask grim, he's the one who knows.

By the way, both bulbs are excellent bulbs for actinics, it all just depends on how blue you want your tank to look.

Ask grim, he can help.
Old 12/30/2007, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

I like the blue+ better to.
Blue+ lnfo
Super actintc info
Old 12/30/2007, 12:27 PM
Registered Member

the UVL super actinic is a true actinic bulb, 100%.

the ATI blue + is a mixture bulb, blue and actinic.

they can both be used as actinic bulbs, the blue plus has more PAR but if you want a "true" actinic, the UVL is the best, IMO.
Old 12/30/2007, 01:43 PM
El Jefe de WRS

UVL is not even close to a true actinic bulb, at least not a 420nm/purple one.

There are two types of bulbs in this category... blue+ style bulbs, which peak at 450-460nm and look blue, and then there are the actinics, which peak at 420nm, and look purple. The blue bulbs have outputs that rival some daylight bulbs, while the actinics, by definition, are duller because its harder to make actinic than blue (higher frequency or more power per photon).

The UVL is a hybrid of the two styles. UVL doesnt make a blue bulb, so their actinic is a cross of the purple and blue into one bulb. It sort of 'cheats' in this respect because it can claim a higher output than a normal actinic 03, but its because its making blue as well (yet it cant compete with something like an ATI blue+).

If you want a true 420nm actinic, try the Giesemann true actinic 03. Its actually UV/purple looking.

That being said, even though the blue+ style bulbs peak at 450-460nm, they do put out some 420nm actinic, so many reefers (esp in the EU) forget about the true actinics all together and just run the higher output blue+ style bulbs instead. The corals dont seem to mind one bit not having true actinic.
Old 12/30/2007, 01:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hahnmeister
UVL is not even close to a true actinic bulb, at least not a 420nm/purple one.

There are two types of bulbs in this category... blue+ style bulbs, which peak at 450-460nm and look blue, and then there are the actinics, which peak at 420nm, and look purple. The blue bulbs have outputs that rival some daylight bulbs, while the actinics, by definition, are duller because its harder to make actinic than blue (higher frequency or more power per photon).

The UVL is a hybrid of the two styles. UVL doesnt make a blue bulb, so their actinic is a cross of the purple and blue into one bulb. It sort of 'cheats' in this respect because it can claim a higher output than a normal actinic 03, but its because its making blue as well (yet it cant compete with something like an ATI blue+).

If you want a true 420nm actinic, try the Giesemann true actinic 03. Its actually UV/purple looking.

That being said, even though the blue+ style bulbs peak at 450-460nm, they do put out some 420nm actinic, so many reefers (esp in the EU) forget about the true actinics all together and just run the higher output blue+ style bulbs instead. The corals dont seem to mind one bit not having true actinic.

i dont doubt that this is true, but could you explain why, according to reefgeek.com's spectrum charts for both the UVL and Giesemann actinic bulbs, the Gieseman actinic looks to have warmer colors in its spectrum when compared to the UVL super actinic??

UVL

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_...by_UV_Lighting

Giesemann

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_...t_by_Giesemann

Thanks
Old 12/30/2007, 04:31 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Those are marketing spectrums, not something you might get from a real lab test. The spectrums could have their proportions manipulated on the scale, the actual graphs might be manipulated, etc. I cant enlarge either one for some reason, but I wouldnt put much stock in them. Visually, the G-man is purple, almost UV-A looking (I have heard it does have a UV-A component), while the UVL is a blue-actinic combo (its a little purple, and a little blue).

Other honorable mentions that I just havent had the chance to test out (but I have them ready for my next round of testing) are the Sfiligoi and new ATI actinics. I dont know how they are for sure, but they might be worth looking into.

Also, another option is to skip the actinic, and suppliment the 'red' with bulbs like the ATI pro color or KZ fiji purple. These will create a purple look by combining with the blue+ style bulbs to create purple through color addition rather than pure 420nm output.
Old 12/30/2007, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

I have also heard that giesemann si the only true atinic. I use it on my 6 bulb tek and its a really nice bulb. I took out a ATI and but in the giesemann and im really pleased with it
Old 12/31/2007, 03:56 AM
Registered Member

Well, thats my situation. I have the Geissman Powechrome Pure Actinic bulb in my possession but was just wondering if there are better actinic bulbs out there. Im going to be getting some 14k hamiltons and Id like to supplement with some really blue looking actinics as the Hamiltons are somewhat of a whitish bulb.
Old 12/31/2007, 05:39 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hahnmeister
Those are marketing spectrums, not something you might get from a real lab test. The spectrums could have their proportions manipulated on the scale, the actual graphs might be manipulated, etc. I cant enlarge either one for some reason, but I wouldnt put much stock in them. Visually, the G-man is purple, almost UV-A looking (I have heard it does have a UV-A component), while the UVL is a blue-actinic combo (its a little purple, and a little blue).

Other honorable mentions that I just havent had the chance to test out (but I have them ready for my next round of testing) are the Sfiligoi and new ATI actinics. I dont know how they are for sure, but they might be worth looking into.

Also, another option is to skip the actinic, and suppliment the 'red' with bulbs like the ATI pro color or KZ fiji purple. These will create a purple look by combining with the blue+ style bulbs to create purple through color addition rather than pure 420nm output.

thanks for clearing that up Hahn, i was confused with all the different bulbs out there. its hard to keep track of whats really what.
Old 12/31/2007, 09:24 AM
Registered Member

i run 8 t-5 and no actinic, ,for what? 4 ab, 3 b+ and 1 pro color, all ati