Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Ohio Reef Aquarists (CORA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/05/2007, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

Any hvac guys (or girls) in here?

beautiful day we are having hu?

so my heater broke. my bf turned it down this morning, and when he tried to turn it back up it wouldent work. after much investigation...

Its a gas fernase with an electric igniter

the gas still works (can smell it when we try to get it to work)

fan still works.

cant get the piolet lit.

Ive done a bunch of searching and im aiming at the igniter. I have to drive to a big red old barn tomorrow and pick one up (nope, not kidding, only place that has my size)

but i just want to double check my thoughts, and can you think of any other issues it could be?

I bought a new thermalcoupler but then learned if i have gas then mine is still good.

thanks!

-Had to find some higher ground, had some fear to get around-
Old 12/05/2007, 05:23 PM
Registered Member

I'm no expert, but have been around for awhile. You stated you can't get the pilot lit. I assumer your furnace is an older one that has a standing pilot (pilot is always on). You can smell gas (it's not really gas, just what they put in it to make it smell) so this tells me the fresh air sensor is working and your valve is working properly. That really only leads to one last thing, the igniter.

Assuming it's an older furnace, did you try to light the pilot manually? Please only do this if you think it's safe.

Jason
Old 12/05/2007, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

no. Its four years old. Your REALLY warned agianst lighting it by hand.. course I ended up trying anyways. But apparently you cant do that because its an electric igniter lol

Im going to try replaceing the igniter, but now im wresting with a stuck hard to reach screw. I even bought new tools still no luck.

Were holding heat well though and have 2 space heaters. still a toasty 76.

Old 12/05/2007, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

my furnace is 25 years old and it too has an electric igniter. i had to persuade my furnace to ignite a few weeks ago when it got chilly. over the summer, condensation collects and deposits form in tiny crevices. you should GENTLY bang on the pipes to loosen up any deposits. it worked for me, but YMMV.
Old 12/05/2007, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

It should have a electric igniter. does it make a click click click noise when you turn it on? one stay by the furnance one by the thermosat and try to hear the noise.
Erik
Old 12/05/2007, 07:27 PM
Premium Member

tourkid.. please ... BE CAREFUL KIDDO! I don't want to be taking care of you at the hospital .....
Old 12/05/2007, 07:40 PM
Registered Member

will do.

Old 12/05/2007, 08:03 PM
So easy a CaveMan

If you have gotten the ignitor out was it broken. Can you see it glow when it is trying to light it? If you can see it glow it's not broken. Also if your furnace is only four years old, you should have a self diagnostic. light on the mother board. Are you sure you have a thermocouple on it? Self lighting units don't usually have one. They have other type sensors.
What brand is it?
Old 12/05/2007, 10:55 PM
Registered Member

I have had similar issues with my "much older" furnace. My eletric igniter was covered with carbon and wouldn't spark. Mine looks allot like those on a gas grill. A small ceramic cylinder with a metal probe coming from it. I use a small wire brush to clean the metal wire, and it works like a charm. I have to do this twice a Winter, and it continues to work great.

Good Luck.
Old 12/05/2007, 11:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by USAquatics
I have had similar issues with my "much older" furnace. My eletric igniter was covered with carbon and wouldn't spark. Mine looks allot like those on a gas grill. A small ceramic cylinder with a metal probe coming from it. I use a small wire brush to clean the metal wire, and it works like a charm. I have to do this twice a Winter, and it continues to work great.

Good Luck.

I had the same trouble a couple of years ago with my furnace.
Rubbed it with some steel wool and presto working agian. No problems since.
I would try this for sure to see if it works for ya.
Old 12/06/2007, 08:03 AM
Registered Member

I broke the end getting it out. so i hafta replace it either way, but here it is

caveman.. i did read a few things about a light to check diagnostics, but none were related to the piolet not lighting/being lit

And Im pretty sure it does have a thermocoupler. not posative. I bought one from lowes then went to carter and they told me i dident need it because I could still smell gas when I turn it on. But when i was poking around I definately found somthing that looks just like it.

Ill know in a few hrs if this isent my problem. but the porclin on it was pretty nasty.

(the end of it is already in my car, to cold to get it)

I think its a goodwin or goodman or somthing. the seriel is gmp

the part i broke off was at the bottom was about 2 inches long and made up of 4 bars.

Old 12/06/2007, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

whoohooooo its super gradifying when you fix it yourself hu?

Its fixed. and im so happy i dident have to call 50 places, get charged 100 in labor and wait around lol

Old 12/06/2007, 02:49 PM
Registered Member

could it still be under warranty?

I would have to agree with what caveman said. Most, but not all new furnaces have self diagnostic panels and you can most likely look up the "code" or blinks online.

What brand is it? Model?

Just when you think you have made it Idiot proof, they just build a better Idiot.
Old 12/06/2007, 02:54 PM
Registered Member

http://www.hvacmechanic.com/forums/forums.htm

Just when you think you have made it Idiot proof, they just build a better Idiot.
Old 12/06/2007, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

pizza Its fixed and it cost 35.00 plus a few new tools
and for warrenty.. then your dealing with landlords and waiting and calling.

Im not sure what brand it is! the paperwork is for coleman but the model number is for goodman.

Im kinda glad i got the learning experience.