Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/02/2007, 07:32 PM
Registered Member

Maytag or LG Steam Washer/Dryer ???

Front load steam washer and dryer ~ LG or Maytag???

ordered the LG today at Sear's (be here on Tuesday)|but now wondering if we should have waited the month to get the Maytag ( washer first then a month later the dryer)???

Was really wanting the "red" in the Maytag but they did not have both available, although they can have them both in the "white" for pick-up on Tuesday ... Hubby would rather have the white as it would save some major money -but I'd reallllllllllly like the red as it's awesome looking... Sooo would you wait like a month or take the white (as it's the same other than the color) and have a good quality product???

Christy...

so...what are you wearing...?

panties...?

lace panties...?

that's what I'm wearing - ScubaDave and the telemarketer...

Life can be short, just like me... Live it to the fullest!!! Family is always there for you NO matter what, just like a "true friend" would be... A cheat is a cheat, and are always busted...

Last edited by TheBimbo; 12/02/2007 at 08:00 PM.
Old 12/02/2007, 07:59 PM
On "The List"

I think you should have a pair sent to each loungers household for extensive testing, results will be posted in 6 months

thankyou, thankyouverymuch

HEY! I lost it first ~CRP

There is no "Brain" in "Brian." ~Beerguy
Old 12/02/2007, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigSkyBart
I think you should have a pair sent to each loungers household for extensive testing, results will be posted in 6 months

thankyou, thankyouverymuch

That's a wonderful idea they should arrive the second Tuesday of next week ...

Christy...

panties...?

lace panties...?

Life can be short, just like me... Live it to the fullest!!! Family is always there for you NO matter what, just like a "true friend" would be... A cheat is a cheat, and are always busted...
Old 12/02/2007, 09:16 PM
Moved In

LOL, Dan's sister has the red ones, she loves them. I would do whatever you want.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 12/02/2007, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

If it costs more for the red, I'd get the white

Oh shut up, and kiss my fairy wrasse. ~Gawain1974~

silly girls make stuff hard ~drauka99~
Old 12/02/2007, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dc
LOL, Dan's sister has the red ones, she loves them. I would do whatever you want.

they are sooo nice aren't they??? I was looking at some reports and I've read that the LG ones leak water out of the washer... Sooo that sort of makes me a bit leary, ya know what I mean Vern ...

Quote:
Originally posted by crp
If it costs more for the red, I'd get the white

yeah now I'm sort of thinking that I just want to have them -sort of like now- sorry I tend to get excited ... It's not that ours are broken so waiting a few weeks isn't going to mean me hanging at the laundry-mat it's just our comforters need washed again and I hate taking them out to get washed... I guess I'm gonna talk to hubby in the a.m and tell him that I'm calling and getting the Maytag in Red for whenever they arrive ... Unlesssssssssssss I decide on the white

Christy...

panties...?

lace panties...?

Old 12/02/2007, 10:21 PM
Comme un soleil ensorcelé

Quote:
Originally posted by dc
I would do whatever you want.
2 December 2007- Debi finally learns what it means to be woman.
Old 12/02/2007, 10:36 PM
I like the way you talk.

I guarantee the red will not wash any better than the white. Waste of money.
Don't know anything about LG, but Maytag top loaders have a reputation for long life. That's because they don't DO anything. They have the poorest wash action of any washer.
Again, I'm not familiar with the front load Maytags.
I sell / work on Milnor commercial washers.
Old 12/02/2007, 10:38 PM
Moved In

Quote:
Originally posted by iCam
2 December 2007- Debi finally learns what it means to be woman.

Dan can confirm that I've known this for at least 30 years.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 12/03/2007, 02:24 AM
WTMRAC Bean Counter

It's been almost a year since we bought our new ones, but last I checked, the Maytags were having some quality issues on the front loaders. People were pretty happy with the LGs. Our choice boiled down to the LGs or the Kenmore Elite he5s and we decided on the Kenmores.

They're awesome! ... and believe me, I'm not the kind of person who gets excited over household appliances of any kind.

But they make things SO much easier and do such a better job than my 15 year old top loaders that I wonder why I waited so long to go for a new set.

You'll be happy with the LGs. If you made the choice and placed the order, don't look back.
Old 12/03/2007, 04:07 AM
667 (Evil and then some)

Re: Maytag or LG Steam Washer/Dryer ???

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBimbo
Front load steam washer and dryer ~ LG or Maytag???

ordered the LG today at Sear's (be here on Tuesday)|but now wondering if we should have waited the month to get the Maytag ( washer first then a month later the dryer)???

Was really wanting the "red" in the Maytag but they did not have both available, although they can have them both in the "white" for pick-up on Tuesday ... Hubby would rather have the white as it would save some major money -but I'd reallllllllllly like the red as it's awesome looking... Sooo would you wait like a month or take the white (as it's the same other than the color) and have a good quality product???

Christy...

Let me get this straight......

You've already made the decision and are asking others to tell you whether or not you have made a mistake.

I don't think you have asked this question in a manner that will provide totally honest responses. To disagree with you is to invite conflict for no particular reason.

As for my honest answer....I have no knowledge of either product and wish you the best.
Old 12/03/2007, 05:59 AM
Skeet, Skeet, Skeet

We have a set of maytag front loaders. They are very nice and have been trouble free.

But.... I don't have mine on a concrete floor and the washer shakes HARD during the spin cycle.

Just something to keep in mind.

Other than that, the front load washer is great. Better job with less water.

I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time
Give it right back to you....One of these days
Old 12/03/2007, 06:49 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crpeck
It's been almost a year since we bought our new ones, but last I checked, the Maytags were having some quality issues on the front loaders. People were pretty happy with the LGs. Our choice boiled down to the LGs or the Kenmore Elite he5s and we decided on the Kenmores.

They're awesome! ... and believe me, I'm not the kind of person who gets excited over household appliances of any kind.

But they make things SO much easier and do such a better job than my 15 year old top loaders that I wonder why I waited so long to go for a new set.

You'll be happy with the LGs. If you made the choice and placed the order, don't look back.

lot's to think about thanks bunches... already called hubby I can't call Sear's until they open but I doubt there will be a problem changing- I guess I really don't mind waiting ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Muttling
Let me get this straight......

You've already made the decision and are asking others to tell you whether or not you have made a mistake.

I don't think you have asked this question in a manner that will provide totally honest responses. To disagree with you is to invite conflict for no particular reason.

As for my honest answer....I have no knowledge of either product and wish you the best.

Yuppp- that about sums it up not by any means trying to start any type of conflict here- just wasn't actually prepared at this particular time to make this purchase- was only at Sears to purchase darts so that we can play on the in house dart league... Hubby totally dragged me down there to that dept... ( yeah right like I was really fighting it )

besides this is The Lounge so there

Quote:
Originally posted by AcroSteve
We have a set of maytag front loaders. They are very nice and have been trouble free.

But.... I don't have mine on a concrete floor and the washer shakes HARD during the spin cycle.

Just something to keep in mind.

Other than that, the front load washer is great. Better job with less water.

As long as it works better and uses less- heck that'll be great... Salesman was saying about using a different type of detergent? They sale Tide but it's made for this type of washer? any input on this?

Christy...

panties...?

lace panties...?

Old 12/03/2007, 08:32 AM
WTMRAC Bean Counter

Yes, they made a different detergent for the high efficiency washers. Since they use less water, you need a product that rinses better. They have it everywhere, grocery store, costco, etc. The major brands, Tide, Cheer, etc. all make some and It's with the other detergent just marked with an "he"

Oh .... Muttling ..... I can totally relate to asking this question after the fact. Half the fun of such a big purchase is analyzing it to death and you can ALWAYS change your mind ....even if you send it back after it arrives.

Old 12/03/2007, 08:39 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, they made a different detergent for the high efficiency washers. Since they use less water, you need a product that rinses better. They have it everywhere, grocery store, costco, etc. The major brands, Tide, Cheer, etc. all make some and It's with the other detergent just marked with an "he"

Oh .... Muttling ..... I can totally relate to asking this question after the fact. Half the fun of such a big purchase is analyzing it to death and you can ALWAYS change your mind ....even if you send it back after it arrives.

hubby says that I'm the return queen on a lot of things I just got off the phone with him again and he said to call them at 10:00 and cancel the LG and order the Kenmore instead, and that if I realllly wanted the red then go ahead ... But hey I'm takin' the white it'll be here sooner and will save a few hundred tooooo ...

Besides when the laundry room gets re-done I can always paint the walls red- right???

everytime we make a huge purchase I can't sleep that evening- I've been up since 8:00 am yesterday...

Christy

we did look at the Kenmore not the Maytag- not sure where I got the Maytag from http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=Kenmore+Elite these but in white

panties...?

lace panties...?

Old 12/03/2007, 08:52 AM
WTMRAC Bean Counter

Oh thoooooooose red ones! They're gorgeous. We got them in the champagne color. It felt silly and extravagant to pay the extra $, but our laundry room is open view throught he kitchen and those babies are HUGE. I felt like big white boxes with those giant chrome circles would just stick out too much.

I've never regretted it. They look great and they work fantastically. When I did the consumer research on them, the only problems people had were a latch problem on the dryer that kept it from starting and a mold problem in the washer. Both are easily solved.

Our dryer had the latch problem, but it was just a tiny misallignment that I was able to fix with my hand by just pushing it a tad to the center. Never had a problem since. With the washer, just leave the door open long enough to let it dry out a little after each load. Be sure to put them on a surge protector because the electronics are little computers and will fry if you get a major surge.

We've had ours since last January and I'm amazed how much easier those machines are on our clothes while getting them cleaner at the same time.

Did you get the little rack for the dryer? I can't remember if it was extra, but it really comes in handy for items that you usually would have to lay out flat and for tennis shoes to keep from having to hear them bounce around the dryer.

Congrats on your new purchase. It's fun!
Old 12/03/2007, 09:07 AM
Registered Member

lmao- yuppp they make quite a statement huh ... now ya got me rethinking again

our laundry/computer room is right off the kitchen, out of sight a bit, but in the summer the patio door blinds are pulled completely open- sooo

not getting the pedestals- and the rack does come with the dryer I asked that right when I noticed it... I like how the steam in the dryer will refresh something and also get the wrinkles out of something easier than me ironing maybe the ironing board can come down now...

I just read the reviews about the musty smell in the rubber part around the door... who knows maybe they fixed that already...

I've got TONS of laundry but I reallly don't want to do much of it yet
how sad is that???

Christy

panties...?

lace panties...?

Old 12/03/2007, 09:07 AM
WTMRAC Bean Counter

p.s. If you like the red, wait for the red. They're gorgeous and if it's what you really wanted, then you'll be disappointed with the white. That's too much money to spend to be anything other than THRILLED with what you have.

Laundry is boring enough. If having some cool red washers makes it more fun, then why not?
Old 12/03/2007, 09:11 AM
WTMRAC Bean Counter

I just followed your link and the steam dryer is new since we bought ours. Wow ... that looks really nice. Ours is just the he5 without the steam capability. They must have come up with that to compete with the LG because last Jan when we bought ours only LG had the steam dryer.

Veeeeeerrrrry nice.
Old 12/03/2007, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
p.s. If you like the red, wait for the red. They're gorgeous and if it's what you really wanted, then you'll be disappointed with the white. That's too much money to spend to be anything other than THRILLED with what you have.

Laundry is boring enough. If having some cool red washers makes it more fun, then why not?

I'm so confused- but hubby said it was up to me... Going to call them and see if they can give me a gauranteed date when they'd be in for the Red. He said yesterday that we'd get the washer first then the dryer a few weeks after that sooo maybe I'll make sure ... Ohhh the pressure of the decision is driving me insane b/c I realllly want the Red and I know that I realllly want the Red and not the boring white...

Geeesh I knew this would turn into another swimming OOL issue and we all know how that turned out...

Christy

panties...?

lace panties...?

Old 12/03/2007, 09:28 AM
WTMRAC Bean Counter

Sorry ... am I causing trouble?

It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one who wastes so much emotional energy on over analyzing and researching alternatives for purchases like this.

Don't stress. On one hand, if you really want the red you should wait for what you want. On the other hand, how many things around your house do you stop seeing after they've been around you for a while? I guess you have to balance your "want it now" urges against your "I want the cool red" urges.

Either way, what counts is that you'll really enjoy having them in red or white because they will make your life much easier.

It's a win either way.

(I missed the OOL thing .... maybe sounds like a good thing I missed it?)
Old 12/03/2007, 09:36 AM
Registered Member

Go for the maytag. I actually make these dryers and the technology that goes into them is far superior to any other dryer we make.
Whirlpool makes most of all maytags products now. Just to let you know. We bought out maytag last year.
Old 12/03/2007, 09:47 AM
WTMRAC Bean Counter

Doesn't Whirlpool make Kenmore, too?
Old 12/03/2007, 10:10 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Doesn't Whirlpool make Kenmore, too?
their all made at the North Pole by little elves, I thought everyone knew that!!!!

“The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 12/03/2007, 10:18 AM
Registered Member

hmmm-

panties...?

lace panties...?