Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/12/2007, 08:49 AM
Registered Member

Rhino Liner ?

So, I am building a custom stand for my 65 gallon tank. I was considering taking it to a local garage where they install Rhino liner, a rubber based bed liner, and having the inside of the stand lined. No vibration from pumps and totally waterproof ! any ideas ?
Old 10/12/2007, 09:00 AM
Can't be listed on **

Should work fine. The only concern I would have is would it be bad for the tank if any of it flaked off and got into your sump. Other than that I think it is really a good idea and would make sure that nothing happened to your stand from water leaks/salt creep.

Kim
Old 10/12/2007, 09:02 AM
Registered Member

it is aboout a quarter of an inch thck and not flaky... its just real thick rubber. should be a good vibration dampener
Old 10/12/2007, 09:20 AM
Registered Member

When I read the thread subject, I thought this was leading to a plywood tank type of idea. The the question of toxicty was raised by kgross. Does anybody have any clue of how to determine if the stuff would be toxic in a SW environment?
Old 10/12/2007, 09:30 AM
Can't be listed on **

The first step would be to contact the manufactor and ask them if they have done any FDA testing. Other than that, the only suggestion that I would have is to get some and put it in tanks and see if stuff lives with it.

Kim
Old 10/12/2007, 10:01 AM
Keeper of Tangs

yes it would be best to see if anything could leach into the water.
Old 10/12/2007, 10:18 AM
Registered Member

I would say it shoud be find as long as water contact is not intended but it is used to hold water as to not destroy the stand in the event of an emergency. I like the idea.
Old 10/12/2007, 12:18 PM
Registered Member

Cannarella that is what I was thinking, I have my stand designed so if there is ever a leak it would be contained inside the stand. would probably hold at least 5 or more gallons !
Old 10/12/2007, 12:28 PM
Premium Member

You would be much better off with a plural component polyurethane that is sprayed on hot. LineX bed liners are an example.

Bean
Old 10/12/2007, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

And if your worried about LineX contaminating anything, this should answer your questions:

http://www.linex.com/other_uses.shtml
Old 10/12/2007, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

Rhino lining is a pretty cool idea, I've used dynamat before to good effect.
Old 10/12/2007, 11:09 PM
Registered Member

Just fiberglass it. Simple, cheap and very effective. Resin, hardener and enough mat to do it would cost less than $50.

Ted
Old 10/13/2007, 10:10 AM
Registered Member

really good ideas...so rhino is rubber right?

I didnt read the line x(page) but isn't it spry on polyethylene?
if so poly is used in alot of storge for water and even potable water applications so shouldnt this
be the most safe material besides food grade latex?
Old 10/13/2007, 11:41 AM
Premium Member

He isn't talking about using it in the aquarium it's for flood containment. I'm not sure how all of the is it safe comes into play. The stains on the wood of a wood stand are certainly not marine "safe" but no one is raising the same issues. Nor are the multitude of fasteners used to hold the stand together. Or what about the fastener ie. screw used to mount a monitor? What if that falls into the sump? Good grief. This is a pretty good idea. Why beat him up over it?
Old 10/13/2007, 12:44 PM
Premium Member

No, rhino is cold sprayed polyurethane. The LineX is hot sprayed polyurethane.

Jerry who is beating anybody up? All I see here is the exchange of ideas and information. In your words good grief!.
Old 10/13/2007, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

I'll take the blame for any misunderstandings / confusion here. I hijacked bmac's thread and took it a good distance from it's intended subject. My apologies to all.
Old 10/13/2007, 10:22 PM
Premium Member

I can tell You it wouldnt be cheap.To spray a bedliner it costs around $400..I think that is what We charged when We used to spray them where I work.So depending on how big of an area it is would likely dictate what it would actually cost.We stopped doing them because osha came in and said we had to spray it in a downdraft booth which is insane because it would ruin the whole booth.It would make a great liner though if You can find someone to do it cheap enough...unless cost is not an object to You.
Old 10/13/2007, 10:41 PM
Registered Member

I have a friend who does this in his shop, he will spray it while he is doing a job, so it will be cheap. I just thought it would be a nice waterproof, vibration dampener.
Old 10/13/2007, 10:44 PM
Premium Member

sweet...it will make a nice liner.wish I had thought if it when we were still doing them.
Old 10/14/2007, 10:55 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by minireefer03
I can tell You it wouldnt be cheap.To spray a bedliner it costs around $400..I think that is what We charged when We used to spray them where I work.So depending on how big of an area it is would likely dictate what it would actually cost.We stopped doing them because osha came in and said we had to spray it in a downdraft booth which is insane because it would ruin the whole booth.It would make a great liner though if You can find someone to do it cheap enough...unless cost is not an object to You.
Most of the cost is prep work. The truck bed has to be sanded down. Bolts and rails need to be removed, windows and paint masked, etc. It takes several hours.

The poly is dirt cheap (a few bucks a pound). A tank stand could be spayed in about 30 seconds. Hell the cleanup takes longer.

Bean
Old 10/14/2007, 02:14 PM
Registered Member

dude, just to let you know, due to the texture of rhino liner it is difficult to clean...easy if its in a truck bed and you can hose it out, but not in the house.
Old 10/15/2007, 07:06 PM
Registered Member

I dont care about cleaning, If I have a leak a shop vac cleans all.... lol
Old 10/15/2007, 07:23 PM
Ozone Sniffer

I'm liking the LineX more and more. OK so its $400. Whats a few gallons of epoxy, supplies, mask, 2 days of sweating, sanding and recoating worth? $400 plus.
$400 is a bargain

"Be sure and wear a speedo lest tangs nest in your britches"
Old 11/01/2007, 02:26 AM
Registered Member

gonna be nice
Old 11/01/2007, 06:08 AM
Registered Member

I think this is the brand that Autozone sells. You can buy it without the nonskid material so that the surface would be smooth and easier to clean.http://www.durabakcompany.com/waterproofing.htm