Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/24/2007, 04:08 PM
Registered Member

hiding cleaner wrasse ?

do cleaner wrasse hide much ? i got one today. and it was swimming around fine. then i get back from having some food. and its no where to be found. ive looked on the floor around the tank and cant see it . do they hide ? or has it jumped nd hiden ?

ad
Old 11/24/2007, 04:31 PM
Slightly Obsessed

Mine hid for a week at one point.
Old 11/24/2007, 04:32 PM
Registered Member

haha. fairy nuff . just its only a 10g tank. not much hiding space. they dont look like hiding fish. haha
Old 11/24/2007, 05:22 PM
Slightly Obsessed

Man, I looked EVERYWHERE for that fish! I swear it had been eaten or something. Then wouldn't you know....a week later.....
Old 11/24/2007, 05:30 PM
Registered Member

hmm strange. so i shouldnt rip the tank apart and look for him.. om just overworried i think :S
Old 11/24/2007, 08:02 PM
Registered Member

I've got one rock that is very porous with lots of small caves and passages that my neon goby will dissapear into. Probably chasing after pods and stuff.
Old 11/24/2007, 08:29 PM
Premium Member

They do hide for a while, then they will come out and look for stuff stuck on other fish, when there is nothing left on the the fish & if they haven't figured out how to eat regular fare or pods they will eventully just die, best kept in the ocean
Old 11/24/2007, 08:40 PM
Registered Member

Dear hobbyist,cleaner wrasses tend to hide in aquariums . After mine finds food,it swims around for a little while,then looks for a hiding spot inside of the live rock where it stays until the next day . Did you know that cleaner wrasses also spin cocoons ? They really do for their own protection . Some cleaner wrasses don't even live long in captivity at all and some do . But the those which survive are very few . Good luck!!
Old 11/25/2007, 07:06 AM
Registered Member

eep. sounds like a hard work fish. haha. i fed the tank yesterday on frozen food blocks ( 1/4 block as its a small tank ) and the wrasse was eating that fine. so hopefull it will be ok. hes back out again now. swimming around hapily. we shall see/ thanx for the info
Old 11/25/2007, 03:27 PM
Premium Member

good luck with your cleaner, LFS should not purchase them, as I stated before, leave them in the great deep blue!
Old 11/25/2007, 04:14 PM
Registered Member

i already had it at this point. i may well give it back to my mate. he seems fine though. hiding again now lol. tanks looking empty the humbu hides when theres no wrasse lol
Old 11/25/2007, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

Mine never hides. Constantly swimming among the corals and rock. If you get a good specimen from a reputable supplier they are not hard to keep if provided with a healthy habitat.
Old 11/27/2007, 05:37 AM
Registered Member

mine seems to vanish every lights out. till about 45 mins after lights on . mebe hes scared of the dark .lol.