Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/10/2004, 07:39 PM
Registered Member

You guys know you can put your pictures in the RC Gallery then access in your posting. Thats what I do.
Old 04/10/2004, 07:44 PM
Registered Member

I am very interested in your close loop system, do you have any drawings of it. Its a bit hard to follow the text on what you are doing. I also have two holes drilled on my bottom, but have not yet decided what to do with them.
Old 04/10/2004, 10:03 PM
Registered Member

PICTURES WILL COME NEXT WEEK WIFE HAS CAMERA IN CT RIGHT NOW !
Old 04/10/2004, 11:00 PM
Engineer

Wow, that looks great!

The corner gussets look great- I should have added a few to mine, at least on the back as you did.

One thing I did was to fill the ends of the tubes with water-proof spray-foam. I didn't want moisture to get in there and cause it to rust out from the inside.

Zeph
Old 04/11/2004, 01:24 AM
Premium Member

Drowningfish, just click on the little red house above my post to see my website. That is how you can access most RC members' sites. If you don't see a red house then that person either doesn't have a site or didn't enter it in their profile.

BlueTBird, Yeah, I do have some pics in my gallery. However, I wanted to host the pics for this thread on a website so the pics will always be there. I'm always deleting and adding new pics to my gallery. If you have a post that links to a pic in your gallery that you delete later down the road, then the pic in the post doesn't show. Another problem with the gallery is that you can only upload so many megs of pics. Sorry, I don't have any drawings of the CL. The 3" intake will go split off and feed 3 Sequence Sting Rays and 1 Iwaki 55. 2 Sting Rays will return water via 2 actuating ball valves. Therefor, these 2 pumps will return water through 4 different bulkheads. The other Sting Ray will return water via the oceansmotions 4-way through 2 bulkheads and 2 holes in the top bracing. The Iwaki will pump water through my 1\3 hp chiller and then into a wye that is connected to one of the other CL returns. I realize it is probably confusing at this point. Feel free to ask anymore ?'s about it and I'll try to describe it better. The holes on the bottom will connect to pvc in the tank that will rise up inside the middle of the rockwork. It will then "T" off in 3 different directions throughout the rockwork to disperse the flow.

SOMEthinsFISHY, can't wait to see the pics.

Zephrant, Excellent point about the foam. Mind telling me what kind and where you can get it? Another concern I have is with the holes that will be used to bolt the oak skirt to. I'm sure I will expose the steel after bolting/unbolting a few times. Maybe I will try a different method to hold the skirt such as some industrial strength velcro.
Old 04/11/2004, 05:33 AM
Registered Member

now i will have to get busy !!
Old 04/11/2004, 06:10 PM
Premium Member

Sump: When the decision came to purchase a new sump I had 5 requirements in mind. 1)The sump must fit under the stand and leave enough room to house all of the other equipment. 2)The sump must be large enough to hold all of the water that will drain from the tank when the return pump is off or the power goes out. 3)It must have a built-in chamber large enough to house my existing MR-2 skimmer. 4)It must have a built in refugium. 5)It must have baffles to combat the microbubbles produced by the drains and skimmer (I HATE microbubbles in my display tank). With those requirements in mind, I began searching for the best deal I could find. After many hours of searching I found the perfect sump with a great deal, FREE SHIPPING!!!!!!!!! The sump is from My Reef Creations. It is one of their standard size sumps. The dimensions of the sump are 36" X 18" X 18". The skimmer compartment is 15" X 18" X 18". The refugium is 21" X 9" X 18". I was lucky enough to catch them while they had a free shipping promotion going. Actually, the free shipping promotion had ended but Andy forgot to take it off their website so he let me have it anyways. Thanks Andy. I already knew MRC was a great company with amazing customer service because I had already purchased a MR-2 skimmer, WC-2 collection cup, and CR-6 calcium reactor from them in the past.

I had Andy install three 1 1/2" bulkheads. 2 for the return pumps and one for the external pump that will be driving the skimmer. I only plan on using 1 return pump but I figured 2 return bulkheads would allow a little flexibility for upgrades/changes in the future. I also had Andy install a 3-probe holder to house the temperature, ph, and orp probes that I will be using in conjunction with an Aquacontroller Pro.
Old 04/11/2004, 06:15 PM
Premium Member

A close-up of the baffles and 3-probe holder.

A close-up of the refugium.

A close-up of the skimmer compartment.

Finally, a shot of the sump next to a 5 gallon bucket for size comparison.
Old 04/11/2004, 07:24 PM
Reef Addict

Sweet......
that sump is off the hook .....
Old 04/11/2004, 10:44 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

nice sump man!!!

can't wait to help out on this bad boy

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 04/11/2004, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for pointing out their site. I was looking for a good sump and this one wil definetly flip the bill for my 90 gal.

How are their Protein Skimmers? Are they reliable?

Thx for pointing-out the red house. Should pay attention a bit more
Old 04/12/2004, 12:58 AM
Premium Member

Great sump design, somebody was thinking here!!
Old 04/12/2004, 01:33 AM
Premium Member

steve68, it certainly is.

Lunchbucket, thanks, tell me about it. The time is going too dang slow.

Drowningfish, your welcome. All of the MRC products have an excellent reputation. Eric Borneman even commented about them in his last write-up about quality equipment in Reefkeeping Magazine. I think it was either last month or the one before. Yeah, the little red house thing took me a while to figure out. I don't think I knew what it was until I read about it in a thread.

golf nut, agreed, it is a very efficient design. I don't think I came across anywhere else that offered a standard sump with this many features. BTW, I got the new drum in for my 4-way last week. Thanks.
Old 04/12/2004, 05:07 AM
Registered Member

YOU forgot to mention price of refugium
Old 04/12/2004, 06:26 AM
Reef Addict

the pump is expensive but worth it in my book i think all of andy's products are great + great customer service i have a MR-2 that works awesome & a CR-2 that also works awesome if u want the price check out the site

www.myreefcreations.com
Old 04/12/2004, 09:59 AM
Premium Member

Yeah, the price for the sump w/out any extras such as the probe holder, drilled holes, and bulkheads is $330. A tad on the expensive side but I think the free shipping made up for it. Besides, just knowing that Andy built it means it was built to last and if any problems ever arise I know he will only be a phone call away and more than willing to help fix the problem.
Old 04/12/2004, 10:06 AM

YOu have the same sump as me! Works great!!
Old 04/12/2004, 10:23 AM
Was "platapus"

Travis - Very nice, I like the sump alot. What is the total volume of the sump? ...is that 85 gallon?
Old 04/12/2004, 10:43 AM
Premium Member

Invincible, how does the sump do with cutting back on the microbubbles? Also, how many GPH are you running through it?

platapus, thanks, the total volume of the sump given the outside dimensions is 51 gallons. Wish I had room for a BIG sump like yours. Once everything is up and running I'm hoping I can find some room for a 100 gallon rubbermaid stock tank to use as a refugium/clam filter. We'll see...
Old 04/12/2004, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis
Invincible, how does the sump do with cutting back on the microbubbles? Also, how many GPH are you running through it?

Travis, there are NO microbubbles at all! My display tank looks crystal clear! Im sure having a nice skimmer makes a difference on cutting back the bubbles too. I am running 960gph using an Iwaki. I also have another same model Iwaki that will soon be on so i will be at 1800-1900 gph.
Old 04/12/2004, 03:15 PM
Super Hero

Rock on Travis!

Don't forget your towel!

( \ / )
(O.o)
( >< )
/_|_\
Copy the bunny into your signature to help him achieve world domination.
Old 04/13/2004, 04:57 AM
Registered Member

a very good link thanks !
Old 04/13/2004, 06:00 AM
Registered Member

Your metal frame is definately going to hold. See mine....it's for 300g and I used half the metal you are using.

More here if you like.
http://frontpage.simnet.is/dna/new_page_1.htm

Old 04/13/2004, 07:51 AM
Premium Member

Invincible, thanks for the reassurance. I will probably be running around 3000GPH through the sump. We'll see if I have any microbubbles with that much turnover. If I have to I will dial back the return pump until there are NO microbubbles making it to the tank.

SawCJack00, thanks, I'll really be rockin when the tank gets here.

DNA, thanks for your reassurance about the stand. I've always been a fan of overengineering, especially when it comes to something like this.
Old 04/13/2004, 10:00 AM
Registered Member

Nice Thread........Tagging along