Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/26/2007, 10:29 PM
Premium Member

Check out my birthday present!

My wife bought me this guy a few days ago from YR, he's super colorful and very healthy. I actually read that once these guys get acclimated in a tank they tend to find a spot and stay there, however this guys moves around alot and loves to stare at people as they pass by. Just thought I'd share.

Old 03/26/2007, 10:44 PM
Registered Member

AWESOME color !! I thought i saw those this weekend at YR and really caught my eye.

Congrats !
Old 03/26/2007, 10:53 PM
My tank is too full

Bluespotted jawfish. Your wife is a keeper. Do you have a hood?

To thine own self be true
Old 03/26/2007, 11:01 PM
Registered Member

beautiful! i agree with mark, make sure you have a hood or cover... these guys are major jumpers, and it would be a shame to lose such a beautiful (not to mention pricey) fish.
Old 03/26/2007, 11:06 PM
Premium Member

She is for sure a keeper!! Funny though, she buys me a $90 fish and after the fact she can't stop calling me a fish nerd. Yes I do have a canopy, matter of fact the moring after i put him in the tank he got startled once the light turned on and tried to jump out, forntunatley for me I have an acrylic tank and he hit the bottom side of the horizontal pane and fell right back down. He hasn't tried to jump since.
Old 03/26/2007, 11:42 PM
Reefer Extraordinaire

Sam,

Does your tank actually have a lid to it? I recently had a deep 30" tank and had a beautiful Blue spotted jawfish leap out over night and I found it fish jerky on the carpet the next day. I too had a canopy but the back was open and he found a way to jump right out. Just did not want yours to meet the same fate.
Old 03/27/2007, 12:00 AM
Premium Member

Mike,

I'm sorry to hear that, I guess I'm in the same boat as you I don't have a tight fit lid and the back of my canopy is open. I just hope the specific one I have is not much of a jumper. However I do have an acrylic tank that has horizontal panes that extends about 6 inches towards the center of the tank on each side that helps prevent him from jumping out.
Old 03/27/2007, 12:11 AM
My tank is too full

Egg crate works great.

To thine own self be true
Old 03/27/2007, 01:05 AM
Premium Member

Ive had.......a coral beauty, fairy wrasse, and orange diamond goby all turn themselves into carpet jerky in the last year.........its a very frustrating thing to have happen. I would be very tempted on that one.....I am a sucker for the bright colors.....

I can't have butterflys, angels, and the jumping variety....this keeps up I will have just snails and clams.....maybe Ill just have a school of nemos!!!!
Old 03/27/2007, 08:42 AM
Registered Member

I had a "nemo" jump out and land on the back half of my QT tank which is covered just last week..............lucky for him and me, I was standing close by
Old 03/27/2007, 09:45 AM
Premium Member

$90 dollar fish? That was a helluva price. Liveaquaria.com has them right now for like $140.

I love that fish if I had the money I would have considered buying both of them off liveaquaria to see if they pair up.
Old 03/27/2007, 09:52 AM
Registered Member

I had a Yellow Head Wrasse jump through the door of my canopy. Yes, you read that right, through. Also, had an Indigo Hamlet jump out the back. Both times I was there, hahahaha. I think they were just trying me.

Old 03/27/2007, 10:08 AM
Premium Member

The price was right was another reason my wife jumped on the purchase. Like Twisted said it's one helluva price compared to online stores like Liveaquaria, not only are you paying $140 for the fish you have to pay for shipping. Despite the fact I am a big fan of Liveaquaria, they always seem to have a good selection of sps frags and fish and great customer service on top of that.
Old 03/27/2007, 01:52 PM
Registered Member

I can one up the fish jumper thread.... I lost a 7 inch sohal tang to the carpet demons and had my 10 inch Vlamingi tang jump out not once but twice. He was only saved by the fact I heard him slapping around on the acrylic inside my canopy. I also lost my large black perc out of my sps tank the other day to the floor. Sam...that fish is not an "if" it will jump but a when. If you don't put eggcrate or some kind of cover, don't get too attatched.
Old 03/27/2007, 02:29 PM
espyesitis sufferer

Hey Sam! That's a great gift from the wifey. Great price, too.

Most are collected from temperate waters. I often wonder if the high temps of our reef tanks raise their metabolism and activity level, attributing to their high-risk jumper reputation.

Hope it becomes a longtime resident for you
Old 03/27/2007, 03:06 PM
Premium Member

Well, I was told with Jawfish Once they make a home they will not jump....UNLESS!!! they have an aggressive tank mate that scares them, or if they are spooked while out of thier cave and just dart the wrong way.

With my first jawfish a tiger striped jaw, gold banded, whatever you want to call him, he made a home the first day he was in my tank. He was fine for about 3 months, then one night my wife was walking into the room where the tank is and flipped on the lights and opened a cabnit right next to the tank, and flop he hit the floor,she immediatly scoopedhim up and dropped him back in the tank, he wasfine for couple of months, then he died for unkown reasons

Had a carpenter wrasse and a watchman goby jump too, the wrasse was found too late, and the watchman was put back in after the cat pointed it out to me. He is still alive, the cat and the goby.
Old 03/27/2007, 03:13 PM
><

Don't risk that beauty Sam. Bust out the hammer and wood work and get a cover on. I would hate to see a thread by you on carpet jerky.

Fat Happy Trigger = New Frag Daily
Old 03/27/2007, 03:22 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for all the advice guys! Come to think about it I do have some egg grate left over that I can cut up and place over the acrylic opening. My only concern is what kind of negative effect it may have on the lights as far as the all my sps are concerned. In addition would there be any shadowing, I guess I could just go to home depot and buy a couple of 1/8" or 1/4" thick acrylic to place over the opening.
Old 03/27/2007, 04:20 PM
Premium Member

I use eggcrat on my 55 because it was wide open. but I have a 6X54w T5 set up, so my lights are really spread out, so no shadows.
If you have good reflectors and stuff, I don't see shadows being a problem, the crate is actually close enough to the lights it should cast any shadows.
Old 03/27/2007, 05:14 PM
Premium Member

With all the jumping going on, are you sure you're not running electricity through your tank?

I guess I've been lucky; I've only had one fish jump out on me. It was a Skunk Clown that was picking on the True and False Percs. One day, we couldn't find him. Later, we realized that he flew out the back of the canopy. May Poseidon/Neptune have mercy on its soul.

Best of luck,

Roy

Quote:
Originally posted by pbetito
I can one up the fish jumper thread.... I lost a 7 inch sohal tang to the carpet demons and had my 10 inch Vlamingi tang jump out not once but twice. He was only saved by the fact I heard him slapping around on the acrylic inside my canopy. I also lost my large black perc out of my sps tank the other day to the floor. Sam...that fish is not an "if" it will jump but a when. If you don't put eggcrate or some kind of cover, don't get too attatched.
Old 03/27/2007, 06:09 PM
Registered Member

I've got a 24 gallon biocube and have a male clown that 30 - 60 days will jump from the front of the tank into the back filter section. There is maybe a half inch, at MOST, gap at the top for him to get through. The funny thing is that when I relieze that he's back there, I can just put my hand back there, and he'll swim into it and let me put him back into the tank section. (Tried with a net and he doesn't cooperate)

On a freshwater note. I have lost an arrowanna and my brother has lost one. We found his in the den at least 30 feet away. (was about foot and a half long.) Sometimes they have incredible skills fitting through some of the smallest gaps in a tank.
Old 03/27/2007, 09:17 PM
Moving Along

Why not just net or egg crate the back opening, then at least it has a chance to flop back in and you wont be reducing the light level.

-Justin
Old 03/27/2007, 10:17 PM
Premium Member

Justin, That's a Great Idea! Although not full proof, if they do jump out there is a decent chance they will flop back into the tank. I like the netting idea over the egg crate, it seems like less work.
Old 03/27/2007, 11:44 PM
Moving Along

My 30g that I got from Arlan and Rian was fitted with a nylon net mesh that simply attached with a velcro lining along the edge of the canopy, simple, clean, and very easy to take off in a jiffy for emergencies. You can probably find the nylon mesh in the garden dept and the velcro in the fabric/crafts dept.

-Justin
Old 03/28/2007, 12:14 AM
Reefer Extraordinaire

You have a center brace and if he jumps, he could end up on that brace and not be able to flop back in the water before he is cooked by the lights.