Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/04/2006, 10:43 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
(as Kalare previously mentioned) that while Seafood may not be fluent, he (going to assume is a "he" until told otherwise) did go to the touble of giving this thread the title of "Crazy (note it says "crazy") bio-loading with 86 fish," which to me says a lot right there. Seems he wants the criticism.
I also agree with you "TheGrimmReefer"

You guys have made excellent points and added alot to this discussion.

When I first saw the thread name, "Crazy Bio-Load" I thought it had something to do with problem in the bathroom.
Mar
Old 03/04/2006, 10:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by maro1

When I first saw the thread name, "Crazy Bio-Load" I thought it had something to do with problem in the bathroom.
Mar
LMAO.
Old 03/04/2006, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by maro1
kalare as for the driving you should be where I live I think the average age of the guy on the road here is 105

Mar
OH man...I know the feeling, people need to have driving tests again over the age of 70...but I won't get too off topic .

As for cultural differences, I understand them and how they apply to certain philosophical understandings of life...however, when it comes to the care of animals, I don't think it applies. If it were "chinese custom" to chop a dogs leg off (to be extreme, but illustrate a point) that doesn't mean it's acceptable just because it is a different culture.

I am chinese, and have seem many different tanks, US, Euro, Asian. There are different tastes, but by no means is a tank with no swimming room "the norm" in HK, IMO. That aside, to me, even if it were "the norm" in his country of origin, this still does not excuse the practice, by him or others. There is a difference, for example, between me viewing the world in a different way and me mistreating animals that have no power over their well-being in my care.
Old 03/04/2006, 11:12 PM
Registered Member

I think I can attest to that fear of old people on the road, I basically live in an open-air graveyard. A lot of people come here to die; do you really think they are going to care all that much about driving safely before they kick? Lol.
Old 03/05/2006, 02:49 AM
DSB are gooood, mmkay?

That's the same tank of a video I saw months back. It was utterly hard to watch really. If you ARE the owner of that tank. Let me just say, that is downright cruel to have that many fish. They don't even have any room to swim before they bump into something! And all your fish are going to die pretty soon, take my word for it.

To me, you just look like a rich guy showing off something expensive he bought. You do not care about the fish you are putting through that kind of cramped, unhappy life. And trust me, your fish are not happy.

Ok I just wanted to get that off my chest.
1 Coral Beauty
3 Wrasse
2 Clowns
2 Gobies
1 Yellowtail Damsel
1 Candy Hogfish
Old 03/05/2006, 03:04 AM
Registered Member

Hey, do you think your fish will feel happier than in nature? Does the colour on the fish in your tank will better in wild? They just feeling lonely in your tank..............

Just kidding, please don't mind! ^_^
Old 03/05/2006, 03:52 AM
Registered Member

I have to say im really impressed that i've only seen 1 post get removed from this thread!! Seems like everyone has pretty strong convictions here one way or another.... im just glad to see that everything has stayed on an educated level and no one has stooped to name calling or extreme mudslinging. Hearing everyones opinion and philosophy has been very interesting.

As for the pics... WOW... that is a lot of fish!!!.... and im sure that it takes a lot of work to keep up after them. Seafood my hats off to you....

Its not the way that i would go about it .... but if its working for you .... who am i to tell you any different. I have seen tanks in HK and i have noticed that they typically do stock a lot more than we do in America. Just a cultural difference i suppose. The world wouldnt be much fun if we were all the same.

My question for you Seafood Tank, and this is only out of sheer curiosity, is what is your occupation?? It says "service" but could you be a little more specific? There is a ton of "big money" fish swimming around in that tank of yours...... and you got me seriously considering a job change!!

Building my own corner of the sea... paycheck by paycheck.
Old 03/05/2006, 04:22 AM
Registered Member

pitt_prodigy: My occupation is doing the service for my tanks. Those are really hard work for me even than my genuine job.
Old 03/05/2006, 06:11 AM
Registered Member

I cant even imagine.... i only have 5 small fish and 1 eel and keeping my little reef healthy and going strong seems like a full time job...... good benefits though! Good luck in the future and thanks for sharing your tank.

Building my own corner of the sea... paycheck by paycheck.
Old 03/05/2006, 06:15 AM
Tailspot Blenny

gotta give props to you seafood, even all the harsh words against you, you are still optimistic about your tank. i'm glad you're happy with your tank. A lot of people are just concerned, because your methods of going about this is "unorthadox" in the world of reefcentral, known to be bad practices of reefkeeping. But if you're really keeping your fish alive, without disease, then you must be doing something right. Keep it up, I hope you're able to succeed. Honestly I don't know how you do it, nor if it's the best way to go about it, but hey, goodluck to ya =)
Old 03/05/2006, 10:41 AM
The Coolest Member

That is NUTS! I have a 90 gal with 7 fish and sometimes I wonder if i'm pushing it. I hope your fish do OK, though I think that is WAY to many.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" Adam Savage
Old 03/05/2006, 11:11 AM
GO BEARS!!

Seafood, I was just wondering if you would be willing to tell everyone what fish you have lost in say the last 6 months, It would really add some perspective to your style of fishkeeping. Thanks

Ryan
Old 03/05/2006, 01:14 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

You're mad!!!
And people call me mad.
Old 03/05/2006, 01:38 PM
XenMaster

He has stated earlier from Jan05 till now, he's lost 30%.
Rio1700 w/ SWCD return
2 Rio600 w/ HydorFl0 attachments.
Powered by Seachem;Verified by Salifert
Old 03/05/2006, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

seafood, how do you deal with the fish getting sick or getting ich. like a ich outbreak. or how do you maintain your fish healthy.
Old 03/05/2006, 04:18 PM
Registered Member

THere are some absolutely BEAUTIFUL fish in that tank!! However it upsets me to look at it! 86 fish in a 240, in my opinion is horrible. Sorry! I once had 10 in a 125 and felt bad so I thinned it out. I could see if you had 86 goldfish in a 240, but expensive tropical marines?!

How could someone be so into this hobby and completely disregard all advice as to stocking. I know if I showed those pics to someone that didnt kow anything about aquariums, they would ask me why there are SO MANY FISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also many of those are angels and tangs.......hello!!! THey need more room! I really am not trying to criticize but please......... I see a scribled, chrysurus, blueline, goldflake, 3 emperors........THats ridiculous. I have one large angel in 125, and another in a 135, and they are bossy and take up lots of tank space, I couldnt imagine what its like when the lights go out in that 240! How in te heck do all of those fish find a place to rest at night!?!?
Old 03/05/2006, 04:22 PM
Registered Member

Also I STRONGLY feel that all of us in the hobby need to preserve marine life, not exploit it. Cramming that many fish together in one tank is wrong. It seems like its there just to be full of color. SHouldnt we be interested in behavior, husbandry, science? Sorry i just dont see how someone could live with themselves.

I feel really bad when ANY of my fish dies. I wonder how this guy feels? If a goldflake angel dies does he just toss it and order another to replace it? I feel that EACH AND EVERY animal that is TAKEN from the ocean should be given the BEST opportunities to THRIVE, not just SURVIVE.
Old 03/05/2006, 05:05 PM
Registered Member

I completely agree... differen't culture or not, its still wrong... murder is murder whether you're from the US, or your from Asia.
Old 03/05/2006, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fishfirst
murder is murder whether you're from the US, or your from Asia.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: You can't murder a fish, whether you're from the US or Asia. This contributes nothing useful to the discussion.
Old 03/05/2006, 06:10 PM
Registered Member

I dont know about murdering fish either...but some will probably be killed or die from stress. What gets me is he says that he sometimes buys up to 6 new fish a week!!!! Excuse me but thats unacceptable. There is no reason why anyone should be going throught that many fish. Forget about the cost of the fish, its a waste of life. How many fish has he gone through. Now I know we are talking about fish, but theyre still live animals that should be respected. What if there were huge animals that were superior to us, collected us, and through 100 of us humans into a glass container!? Would they want a human of every color to "satisfy" theyre needs and wants? Its not right. Would we be able to thrive? No.

Also am i the only one who cant understand what Seafood writes when he replies? PLease write so we can understand. THanks.
Old 03/05/2006, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by XtrmCHoPZ
some will probably be killed or die from stress. What gets me is he says that he sometimes buys up to 6 new fish a week!!!! Excuse me but thats unacceptable. There is no reason why anyone should be going throught that many fish. Forget about the cost of the fish, its a waste of life. How many fish has he gone through.
These are all good points, and I said I have no problem with people saying they feel this is abusive treatment. I just can't stand it when some people always jump straight to calling other people murderers, when that is not what they have done.

As for the "what if the roles were reversed" argument? Pointless discussion if you ask me. They may very well be more ruthless than we are (I know that may be difficult for some people to believe, but it is not unreasonable to think that it is possible).

Are these fish healthy? Well 30% losses means he probably started with about 125 fish and now has 86, a loss of about 38 fish (this is a rough estimate, 30% of 125 is 37.5, round up to 38 and subtract from 125 and you get 87 fish left, about what he says he has now). I don't consider that very healthy.
Old 03/05/2006, 06:40 PM
Registered Member

Hey, I live in Upper MAINE, Is there a way, or can i get the sick are wounded, Feel free to let me know .you can ship them 5-10 at a time, The ones i cant save I'll feed to my cat. I really like wrasse. But i'm not pickie. i'll even pay for shipping, My brother-inlaw lives there were can i see this tank . Were do you get your fish up here, you cant be paying what i pay so feel free to lets me Know And i would love too check out your tank. I'll bring EXTRA buckets.I'm NOT criticizeing you but feel sorry for the fish. I think this post should really be removed cause its a joke. IF YOU HAVE THAT MANY FISH in a tank They dont last long, Fell free to get in touch I"LL PAY FOR SHIPPIng And you must have a good job
Old 03/05/2006, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

BTW, I have trouble understanding Seafood's posts as well, so if he meant to say that he started with 86 fish (instead of that being the current number that are still alive) and lost 30% after that, it would place the current number of fish at about 60. That would mean he has lost about 26 fish so far. I don't think his method is very effective for keeping the fish alive, but obviously that is not his intention. At the very least it is wasteful. He lost more fish in a year than I've even purchased in 8 years (show of wealth, I guess, but I would be more impressed if he could keep a smaller number of fish alive for several years).

EDIT: I'm going to try to stay out of this thread from now on, I think it's gotten enough attention and the more time that goes by the more I feel that the topic starter doesn't seem to be very serious about improving the hobby or giving any useful advice for keeping fish. If he has a question I am able to answer I would be happy to give him advice, but it seems that he is just trying to get a negative reaction from the community and for the most part I believe he has.

Last edited by TheGrimmReefer; 03/05/2006 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03/05/2006, 07:43 PM
Registered Member

Grimm reefer this has too be a joke , its like playing Russian Roullet with fish , This post is on here to just let people know anything is possible, But not long period of time, It want take a green horn long money wise to see this ant Happening, Hope folks dont go out and waste high dollar fish like this. I only have very few fish in my reef tank, and there clapping reading this post. TRY THIS WITH SOMEONE ELSE"S MONEY. They should put warning sign on this one. OHWELL i'm not the only fish eyed fool in the world
Old 03/05/2006, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by msman825
Grimm reefer this has too be a joke
I think it could easily be a joke, but I have no doubt there are people that do this. If I had a lot of money to throw around, and I had the choice between a bunch of expensive, oftentimes ugly paintings (I happen to think the quality of art in our society has dropped significantly, but that is very much an off-topic issue, so forgive me if you disagree) or a gorgeous display of natural beauty in the form of dozens of large, exotic fish from the tropical seas, I would go with the fish. If you have that kind of money, why not? Especially if you are eccentric.