Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/14/2007, 03:27 PM
Registered Member

Location: Ottawa, Canada The Great White North...actually its pretty green
Mantis compatibility

Hey there everybody, Well I'm getting my second mantis (a peacock), and I would like to know what species if anything people keep as tank mates. Currently in my grn mantis tank I have a knight goby thats doing great. My mantis doesnt even look twice at him, and the goby has been in the tank with him for almost 3 months.

I would like to try some other species and see how they do. So if anyone has any input regarding tankmates I would love to know..

Even it if was unseccessful, i'd still be interested. Maybe you can save me from making bad choices...

I was thinking maybe a orbi batfish, or possibly a small puffer...a valtentini maybe ?? Though i'm weary about a puffer since they love munching on snails.

Any advice would be appreciated....Thanks again
Old 12/14/2007, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

i wouldnt chance the puffer. anything you dont want to loose dont chance putting it in a tank with a peacock. they may live with it for awhile but in the end they are all fair game when the mantis is hungry enough. the only fish i had good luck with was this little gobby that i got from my LFS for like $5 and it used to hide really well. until about 4 months later when i saw the mantis having a midnight snack.
Old 12/16/2007, 04:30 PM
Registered Member

Ive had luck (2 years) with a large aggressive Cinnamon clownfish. I feed them both well, and they got along...the clown fish even helps attach crayfish if they happen to stumble into the mantis den... may want to test first with a damsel to see what happens... i did that and couldn't catch the quick little guy to remove him...
Old 12/17/2007, 12:14 AM
Registered Member

My mantis will kill any fish and most inverts that enter the tank. This includes cucumbers, chromis, gobies, damsels, urchins...

In short, your best bet is a specimen tank.

Dan
Old 12/17/2007, 06:09 PM
Registered Member

mine's in there with a serpent sea star, sea cucumber and a peppermint shrimpt. i don't know why the peppermint shrimp is still alive because i was expecting it to be one of the first things killed when i put the mantis in the tanks, however, it's only been a few days since i got the mantis