Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/10/2007, 04:12 PM
Registered Member

what's up with my blue tang???

I've been watching my Hippo tang today and he's been making runs at and attacking almost all his other tankmates all of a sudden, both smaller and bigger than he is.

The tank is a 200g reef, and the tang was an early resident. He's gone from about 2" to 4.5" in the past several months that I've had him, and has always been pretty well behaved.

But suddenly he seems determined to assert himself and is chasing just about everyone in the tank.

The most recent additions were a foxface and 5 small chromis about 7 days ago. The Dussumeiri tang is the largest fish, at about 10", and showed early aggression towards the foxface, but they're swimming buddies already. The Hippo's behavior just started today. Any ideas, thoughts? Is this normal territoriality for a hippo tang?

Here's a stock list, biggest to smallest:
Dussumeiri Tang
Magnificent foxface
Male wantanabei angel
Female wantanabei angel
Hippo tang
4 X asst. Fairy wrasses
Timor wrasse
Bartlet anthias
Ocellaris pair
PJ cardinal
Mandarin goby
Orange spot watchman goby
5 chromis
bi-color pseudochromis
Old 12/10/2007, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

The bigger mine got the more he has tried to assert himself as one of my dominant fishes. Every now and again he will flash and when i add a new fish he sometimes will try to bully them from time to time. He dosent do any harm or does it last long.
Old 12/10/2007, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

Hippos are one of the most aggressive in regards to it's breed. As well you stated that he was one of the first residents, therefore making the statement and letting everyone know who's tank it is. I am assuming as well that he is one of the more larger specimens in your tank as well... Best thing is to probably move around your LR to confuse him. But before you do that, I would recommend that you take him out for a while, move around the Rocks, then introduce him again.
Old 12/10/2007, 07:15 PM
Registered Member

Remove the tang to a QT if you have one. I had a wrasse giving a new wrasse some aggression problems a couple of weeks ago. I removed the aggressive wrasse and placed her in my QT for 1 week. I put her back in with fingers crossed and they have been buddies since her return. The quiet gave my new guy some time to meet and greet and establish his presence in the tank. Good Luck.